Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2024, 06:17   #1

Question hello and HELP please

hello all, i need help please , i have just bought a project 26 motor cruiser (not my first boat but it has been many years since i owned one) , it has the the following specs,
built :1992 length 7.92 x 3 mtrs beam
GPR
engine : ford sabre 212 hp with turbo,
batteries : 2 (1 starter) and (1 auxiliary) both 12v and i think wet cell,
i have had the alternator serviced as it was not throwing out enough volts to top up the batteries , now working well, also had to have a new negitive buzbar as old one was badly corroded ,
my first question: (of which i expect there to be many),
what should be run on the main battery ? is it just the cranking over of the engine and engine gauges ? or should it also run the nav lights anchor lights, bilge pump etc ?, what is the basic list that should be run on the starter battery? .
i want to put 2 batteries on both the starter side and the auxiliary side ( in parallel), so my second question: is it ok to put deep cycle batteries on the auxiliary side only?
i also want to put a solar charging system on the boat , quesion 3:what sort of wattage for the panel do i need ?
in the future i wish to take out the old switches and replace all with new more modern gear if i can get the first questions sorted
bigmacptm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2024, 10:19   #2

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35
Re: hello and HELP please

So many questions lol.

Typically you have a starting battery that is by itself. A house battery for everything else. Often times there is a switch that can connect hem if need be. In general, you want a bigger house bank than starting bank. Deep cycle on house bank.

Bilge(s) and alarms if you have them get wired and fused to the battery directly. You should have a bilge switch that is auto, off, manual. For a float I can't recommend highly enough the ultra pump switch. Yes, expensive but it's the last switch you'll ever buy vs replacing the other POS's every couple of years.

Solar. What are your needs? Maybe worthwhile, maybe not.

What are your intentions for using the boat?
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2024, 10:36   #3

Thank you for your quick response, the solar will be just to charge the batteries up , i think my bilge pump is as you have said connected directly to the battery, what i was thinking of doing was putting the auxiliary battery alongside the starter battery and connected in parallel(on port side of engine)and then buying 2 deep cycle batteries for the auxiliaries and putting them on the starboard side again in parallel so i would have 2 starter and 2 auxiliary batteries, does this make sense?
Old 30-04-2024, 10:39   #4

Sorry i just want to use my boat for mainly fishing and pleasure, knowing that if i want to spend a weekend on here without any worries about battery issues i can
Old 30-04-2024, 10:44   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Do you have a space for a large rigid solar panel say 100 - 200w. They are cheap as chips on FB Marketplace in the UK. Match that with a MPPT regulator and it will provide lots of power to run lights etc and charge your batteries.

Post some pictures of the mobo.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...a-a4f44c715278

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2024, 10:53   #6

Hi, yes i have room to put a solar panel on, think i will need a 200w
Old 30-04-2024, 11:24   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Having just bought a boat the budget will be limited and there are more pressing things to buy like in date life jackets, VHF radio and a decent anchor.

So chose something second hand and let us know what the specs are. Size isn't that important at the moment and no one ever said they had too much solar. You must add a MPPT regulator though or you will fry the batteries in short order.

Pete
Old 30-04-2024, 11:32   #8

Hi, i have new VHF radios, hand held and fixed, i have also bought new self inflatable life jackets, anchor was already with the boat, but i bought another just in case , i also have three fire extinguishers, all mooring ropes have been replaced with new ones, it is the electrics that i am stumped on
Old 30-04-2024, 11:36   #9

You said you plan 2 starter batteries in parallel and 2 deep cycle house batteries in parallel. The starter batteries would be for starting the engine and everything else would run from the 2 house batteries.

That sounds reasonable to me.

Being able to start your engine would be the most important thing so I'd want to make sure those batteries were new enough to be reliable. Of course you'd need to ensure you had the right size battery. If the current batteries are old you may be better off with one nice new starter battery than a couple of older ones.
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2024, 11:39   #10

Hi ive been told by previous owner that the batteries arnt that old, but i think i will get them checked just to be safe
Old 30-04-2024, 11:40   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Excellent, that's a good start.

Have a read of this similar tread problem which explains and gives some links to the basics.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3893766

This also worth a read: http://www.tb-training.co.uk/cover.html

Tags
lease