Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2013, 05:28   #1

Boat: Bertram 46.6 FBMY
Electric refit

Hello !

For a year I have focused some free time on a 50 foot Teak "Chinese Junk" I picked up (picture attached). It is truly a labour of love on this vessel. All hand made (even the recent hull repairs).

Now that all the hull has been basically replaced, termite damage gone, as well as all the termites...

I am now diving into the AC electrical refit to add the modern touches.

The old girl has a older Onan 7.5kVa Gen-set (230v 50Hz), 32amp shore power service at both marina's she calls home.

I am hopeful that others here can put in some positive ideas in to make my AC panels very functional and multi versatile when situations require.

I have run all the new wires for the listed circuits, and am ready to put the AC Panel together... As for some of the basic hardware. I have a Victron 24/60 as well as a brand new 4kW inverter (that has a straight thru AC, as well as 30 amp charger feature). I want to have everything at my fingertips at the AC and Inverter AC panel... as well as the ability to bypass the inverter (as they do fail from time to time WINK) and grab AC from the mains (shore or Gen) with the flick of a switch as needed... I have picked up too many LCD panel meters, and am adding too much in many area's, but I do not want to have to go searching for information on a panel... it should all be "In-your-face), and perhaps too visible as needed..

I have listed the AC panel plan (The Main AC panel as been framed and all breakers assembled today). Tomorrow I will start on the Inverter AC panel.

One thing I am adding that I thought would be helpful, is kWh meters to see what I am actually using... So many times I have calculated the watts per item, and then the power I get from an inverter (as I do on my main vessel) is somewhat an unknown in a real-world situation... I found a factory that makes 30amp and 32amp single pole models. Have a peek at the panel kWh maters in the attached picture...

Have a peek at the plan, and give me some input to some things that would make it more convenient and flexible to different situations... Now is the best time !

DC side will be fun as well !!!

Thanks everyone !!!

Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-06-25 at 7.43.03 PM.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	63154   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-06-25 at 7.44.36 PM.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	63155  

Name:	breaker-centre.png
Views:	120
Size:	248.4 KB
ID:	63156   Click image for larger version

Name:	kWh-panel-metre.png
Views:	131
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	63157  

Hkalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 05:40   #2

Boat: Bertram 46.6 FBMY
Re: Electric refit

Oh... I forgot...

It has 1,200W of Solar right now... so I have two 1Kw PnP grid tie inverters stacked online to feed back to the grid at the marina when she is just sitting at the birth with a full battery bank.

There will be more about the renewable energy items later SMILE !!!

Alan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Alan-System.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	63158  
Hkalan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, refit