Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2021, 08:24   #16
cruiser

Re: Complicated charging 12V/24V/220V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
Let me just summarize what we discussed so far. Generator starting battery gets charged from generator, fine. Thruster batteries get charged from a dc-dc charger to be acquired, fine. Now, the main point in terms of best practice:

1. 24V alternators charge house and starting 24V banks. It will be best if both alternators charge both banks, which means I need an ACR.

2. 24V alternators charge house and starting 24V banks through 3-stage voltage regulators - I think this is best practice, it means I need two voltage regulators and one ACR and some work on modifying the alternators.

3. 24V alternators charge the house batteries only. An inverter is connected to the house batteries as normal. The 220V battery charger is connected to house and starting batteries as normal. When underway, I switch on the inverter and the 220V battery charger. Provided that the alternators generate more current than what the boat consumes, the remaining power will be used to charge both battery banks efficiently.

The boat consums around 15A @ 24V on the average. The two 120A alternators will produce probably 1/3 their rating. I will still have plenty of power to raise the voltage to 28.8V and properly charge the 24V batteries. All I need is a 1500W sine inverter (the charger is 24V @ 50A).

I tend to think that option 2 is best but I fail to see the problem with option 3.

ex-Pizzazz
I think I write to much.
Although diesel and not sparking, I'd have some sort of on circuitry. Was about to type ignition but whatever it has. Fuel injection? Electric oil pump?
You'd want it kept charged.
Or if petrol.. ignition system would drain starter batteries quick.

I can't help bro. I'm getting confused.

You have intelligent chargers for shore 24 volt is impression I have.
With DC DC charger you'd want to make sure that that load doesn't interfere with intelligent charger. Because an intelligent charger is not a dedicated power supply.
Eg unplug DC DC if intelligent charger charging ashore. That's why I thought intelligent charger for generator. To remove load from batteries on charge.
CruiseN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging