Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2024, 11:10   #16

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Biggest and best Wind Generator?

A towed generator is a better option on passage, mine ( 12V system) gives me 5 amps at 5 knots 24 hours a day - go faster -get more. Oh and use a windvane.
Old 29-01-2024, 06:43   #17

Boat: Shannon 52 RDP

I have a Superwind 350 installed. I don't recommend it for your application. Mine is mounted forward of the mizzen mast about 25 to 30 feet above waterline. Book numbers on the unit would cause you to expect 25 amps from the unit when you have 25 knots of wind. However, due to the decrease in wind speed with height (difference between the height of the wind speed transducer and the wind generator) and disturbance of the airflow from the main mast, I only see about 8 to 10 amps when it's blowing 25. Add to that you'll probably be anchoring where it is protected, you wont have enough airflow to generate but a couple of amps if anything most of the time. I am in the Caribbean now, when on the US east coast, output was essentially zero.

The only time the unit really shines is sailing offshore, when the wind is blowing and on the beam. That's when the airflow is unobstructed and strong enough for the unit to put out it's rated capacity.

I would recommend you look for a unit that requires less wind speed to produce power even if it's ultimate capacity is less. A few amps being produced continuously will add up to significantly more than a lot of amps only being produced occasionally.

Good luck.
R Hutcheson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2024, 07:10   #18

[QUOTE=TheSailingBeard;3863152]Good afternoon all,

I've been digging through a bunch of old threads - but When it comes to wind generators, there are several popular models that you might consider for your 40ft Catamaran. Let's explore some of the newest and highly regarded options in the market:

1. D400: The D400 is a well-regarded wind generator known for its efficiency and quiet operation. It is designed specifically for marine applications and has a great track record of reliable performance.

2. Superwind 350: The Superwind 350 is another popular choice among sailors. It is known for its robustness, durability, and ability to generate power even in low wind conditions. The Superwind 350 is also praised for its quiet operation and self-regulating capabilities.

3. Silentwind 400+: The Silentwind 400+ is known for its efficiency and low noise levels. It features carbon fiber blades and high-quality marine-grade materials, making it suitable for the harsh marine environment. Additionally, it offers adjustable pitch control, allowing you to maximize power output based on wind conditions.

Regarding paralleling multiple wind generators, it is possible to connect them into a single MPPT (Maximum Power Point Tracking) charge controller. However, it's important to refer to the specific manufacturer's instructions and specifications to ensure compatibility and proper operation. Additionally, consult with a qualified professional or technician for any necessary wiring and configuration.

Using a Victron device to capture data from the wind generators is a good idea, as Victron is a reputable brand known for its reliable and efficient energy systems. Just make sure the Victron device you choose is compatible with the wind generators you select.

It's always recommended to consult with a professional installer or technician to ensure the safe and effective installation of wind generators on your Catamaran. They can provide you with specific recommendations based on your vessel's requirements and help you optimize the power generation capabilities of your setup.
highlan875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2024, 07:11   #19

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

D400, Super Wind, Silent Wind, Airx with Silent Wind blades in that order.

I have an ancient Four Winds that works well to supplement 390 watts of solar that is soon to be 600 watts.
Old 29-01-2024, 07:13   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

My wind generator acted as an alarm and wind speed monitor. I could tell you pretty darn closely the wind speed based upon how much noise it made. That was really useful when laying in bed wondering if I needed to get up and go on deck to check on things.

I also found them useful underway at night on autopilot. The pneumatic pump was a big energy hog.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2024, 07:33   #21

Boat: Endurance 35

Recently my wife arrived back at the boat on a pontoon in the Medina. The starter battery had died in the sub-zero temperature, there was thick cloud and short January days. The Renogy lifepo bank was in storage mode at 35 percent, and it was stormy night time.

Fortunately our ancient, neglected D400 produced 12 amps or more as soon as she untied it. She was soon comfortable and having tea. So there are times when you just need the wind power.

That said, the D400 is best in over 15 knots, otherwise the noise is not worth it. We call it the "moaner."

I hate it. Shades the panels, makes noise, and the windage is terrible. But I keep it. Saved the day many times. Sometimes the sun he no shine.
Leobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2024, 07:36   #22

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

Getting the biggest wind generator should not be the priority. I had a hoistable aluminum tubing frame made and hoist the generator in the fore triangle when at anchor. That eliminates the vibration being transmitted throughout the boat. Prior to getting underway, I engage the electronic brake, pull the unit down, unplug it and stow it in one of the aft cabins. Wind generators mounted on the stern do little when going upwind or reaching on the lee side. Additionally, loose reefing lines cannot get tangled in the unit. While some wind generators are notorious for blade noise, not all are. I never have had fellow cruisers complain about wind generator noise from my Airex and the night power generation usually leaves me with almost fully charged batteries in the Eastern Caribbean trades.
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2024, 07:37   #23

Boat: Taswell 43

following.. We have both, and have had for 12 years. I wish we'd bought the D400 vice the Rutland 914i we have, but even it produces power thru the night (when there's no solar). A lot depends on where and how you use your boat. If you're doing lots of passagemaking, then a towed gen is really a good option. If you're mostly in the Caribb, like us in recent years, the trade-WINDS are a fact of life-day and night. But quiet is good, both onboard and in an anchorage. The Quietwind, or D400, would be my choice.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2024, 09:00   #24

Boat: Hunter 340

I had a Silent Wind generator and discovered some things I didn't care for:
1) It didn't work well in a marina given all the obstacles
2) It required at least 15 kts of wind
3) High wind speeds caused the brake to engage to prevent overheating the controller.
4) It often didn't work that well in anchorages as they are protected from wind
5) A wind generator needs steady winds from one direction. If the wind direction fluctuates, the wind generator will spend a lot of time hunting, so the output drops.
6) They all make noise, and some more than others.
7) The mast and generator may block any solar panels you have.

All things considered I sold it after 4 years and added more solar panels.
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2024, 09:17   #25

Boat: J/42

I have one of the cheapo's. The "Nature Power" 400 watt model. First, it's not really a 400 watt unit - the brake comes on when ever it goes over 200 watts. I had to replace the MPPT control unit last winter because it popped a capacitor or something and smoked itself. That said, there have been plenty of days in the winter when it produced more power than the solar panels. It makes enough to run the instruments and radio, but not really enough for the freezer and fridge. Down here in Baja, it's mostly supplemental, but still overall production is close to the panels on a cloudy day.

The D400 units I see on other boats have impressed me. They start turning at far lower wind speeds than ones like mine and are much quieter. Are they really making watts at those speeds? Will they hold their own in 20-25 knots?

IDK where you people find all these windless anchorages, but I spend plenty of time where it's blowing. And in a marina? Isn't everyone plugged in? It's just rude to have a windmill turned on at the dock.

Another thing to consider - when there is no wind, the controller actually consumes a few watts. Not huge, but the parasitic loads add up. I usually turn off the breaker if it's not working.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2024, 13:30   #26

Boat: Morgan, Out Island, 36, Sunchaser

KISS---------have owned one for 16 years, bought upgraded blades from some redneck on the internet---still going strong. Its not about anything other than REDUNDANCY for me on a boat. Have as many charging sources as you possibly can. THE SUN DONT SHINE for days sometimes ( I live in the land of the long (insert your preferred colour) cloud).
Joe Okros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2024, 14:32   #27

Boat: Adams 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
The D400 units I see on other boats have impressed me. They start turning at far lower wind speeds than ones like mine and are much quieter. Are they really making watts at those speeds? Will they hold their own in 20-25 knots?
I have 2 D400's mounted on a stern arch. They spin at lower wind speeds, but don't make any power until they see 10 knots of wind. They start producing serious power at more like 15 knots, and it goes up from there. The noise is somewhat noticeable in the 5-8 knot wind range, but not offensive. By the time the wind gets to 10 knots, D400 noise is not distinguishable from wind noise in the rigging. I've never done anything to protect them, including in 50 knot squalls. The controller diverts the output into a high-power resistor bank as a brake if it sees too much output, either because the batteries are full, or the blades are spinning too fast.

They've been most useful for me in the winter, when there's not much sun and more wind, or if I stay anchored for a few stormy days without sun. In the summer I look for sheltered anchorages, and wind often drops at night. In daytime solar panels produce power more reliably. This would change significantly if you were in a trade wind region, but I'm not.
pjShap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2024, 14:40   #28

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

Agreed D400 have one now for 5 years quiet and robust as stated works when the wind is up night or day. I also have 720 watts of solar panels . In my experence one should have both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madehn View Post
Im going to do something novel and give the OP my answer to his question instead of promote my own opinion or call him names. Seriously “brainless eco zealot” ? Polite much??? In my opinion the D400 is a pretty good unit. Yes solar has improved and I have 1.2kw on my boat but they don’t do crapcat night. I get a little if the moon is bright 😀😀😀. Your boat your money your choice. Best of luck with your decision.
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2024, 15:29   #29

Boat: Deerfoot 61

Check out the Airdolphin Marine Wind Turbine -

https://www.emarineinc.com/categorie...bine-1000-Watt

I bought one. It is a beautifully make generator, carbon blades, brushless neodymium alternator, 1000 W output, and it comes in at around 38lbs. I don't think you'll find a better unit. It is a commercial unit. You will pay for the quality. It is expensive, but if you are looking for the biggest and best, I don't think you'll find better. It's built for harsh environments.

As far as the controversy of wind vs solar, I had both set up on my boat back in the 90s before it was very popular to do so. Lived with the set up for 8+ years. I found both had advantages. Often, if it was cloudy and inclement weather, we'd see reduce output from solar, but the wind generator would be working well. A lot depends on where you intend to sail. Sailing down wind in the trades means you won't have much apparent wind to drive your wind generator, but it will work find at anchor.

It is a personal decision. I don't know why some people are so insistent as to their personal feelings on the subject. We all have our own opinions about what works best for our own boat. Is that such a bad thing?

Good luck in your decision.
tdunlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2024, 18:12   #30

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34

I’ve been very pleased with my MK4+ from Marine Beam. 450 watts max output, whisper quiet, starts at a lower wind speed than most others, and only 18 pounds.
BoatBumm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, wind, wind generator