Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2017, 08:42   #1
cruiser

Re: Are My Batteries Toast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Do you ever equalize your batteries?'your new charger will most likely have that option.....not that this answers any of your questions.
I don't know how to equalize the batteries.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 08:53   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Your battery manufacturer should have information on that, voltages and times and all details.
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 08:57   #3

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
That should be high on the list of priorities. It sounds like you are like a lot of us: your battery knowledge may be "partial, in depth". Things like "rest period after charge" and "ambient temperature of bank correction" are not that esoteric, but if you don't know some basics, you could either do some damage, fail to service the bank correctly, or misinterpret what your testing is telling you.

I would try to absorb, pun intended, the basics of battery charging, especially with a big 24-volt bank as you have, as I would wager it's a PITA to change them out more than every seven years or so.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 14:51   #4

If your batteries are good for 300 cycles in their lifetime, Equalizing them will account for one complete cycle. It would be good to do that once every month or two. It helps dissolve the sulphate off the plates that builds up when you deficit charge them over some time. You have a Hydrometer ? If you don't know how to use it then at least you can check all your cells and if you got one cell way out of whack ,then you'll know that , that battery is pooched.
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:01   #5

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

The empirical analysis of your battery bank is all good and well. It sounds like normal wear and tear under good upkeep. You use them alot. If the performance at this time bothers or hinders your operations, it's time for boat bucks. The same for the windlass. Not working right? Fix or replace. If it's useable as is, you are monitoring for catastrophic failure. Just be mindful of a failure in an inconvenient location.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 18:53   #6

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Just fyi, but if the batteries are older and starting to sulphate, equalizing them at high voltage causes the sulfate deposits to slough off the plates and if there is enough of it, it can pile up and short out a cell. In other words, equalization can make things worse on older banks.

How old are these batteries?
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 21:54   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Just fyi, but if the batteries are older and starting to sulphate, equalizing them at high voltage causes the sulfate deposits to slough off the plates and if there is enough of it, it can pile up and short out a cell. In other words, equalization can make things worse on older banks.

How old are these batteries?
Five years old.

I don't know how much fun I'm going to be today, I've come down with the Norovirus bigtime. Must be all those cruise ships pulling into town daily.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote