Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 21:01   #31

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: 300W 36V panel with MPPT controller for a 12V bank: does it make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
You should be doing much better than this at least as a peak output. I think it is worth examining your system connections etc for a fault.

To give you an example my system is 330w. This was the result from today, nothing spectacular, just an average summers day, but you can see peak of 300w or 23.2 amps. (This would corresponds to about 860w for your system a long way above 650w and this is just a typical day, not the best)

I would also suggest being very careful about exceeding the maximium voltage input for the controller. They can be damaged by be damaged by an even very brief voltage that higher. The Outback will be damaged immediately if you exceed 150v. In some conditions the panels will exceed their STC outputs. Most manufacturers recommend a significant safety margin and suggest a Voc well below the the maximium input voltage.
We have 750 watts and yesterday peak amps were 42. Panel voltage is around mid 30's we usually need to put in around 75 amps to replace the nights usage whilst this does happen quickly the day's consumption also has to be allowed for.

Our jug and toaster consume around the 100amp mark for a total of 7amps a sitting each.

My panels tilt but to be honest with boat movement at anchor nothing is perfect all performance data is based on a stationary panel and boats just don't comply!!!!

Tags
300W, 36v, mppt, one single panel, output