Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-08-2016, 23:26   #1

12v battery voltage

I have 4 Victron 110ah batteries in my house bank and have had them for 4 years now. Until recently I have been using a NASA BM1 battery monitor and have mostly relied on its % capacity display which I almost never let drop below 65% (correctly configured to my 440ah). It has now occurred to me that I never really paid attention to the voltage or at least I don't remember doing that.

This year because I upgraded my alternator, I upgraded to a Victron battery monitor as I needed a bigger shunt.

Because I like "toys" I added the Bluetooth dongle and now I monitor from my phone.

Now that I have more information on a single screen, I'm paying attention to much more information. What it is highlighting is how quickly the voltage is dropping.

This is the current status after a night at anchor, with the batteries at 95% before sunset (don't remember the voltage). All consumers were off for this reading as I wanted to see if the voltage would go up. The 200w solar are just waking up, hence the positive amps

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1470377794.677425.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	128999

12.37v seems very low considering how little amps have been used. The voltage will drop below 12v once the capacity is into the 70's%

Is this a sign that my batteries are on their way out or is this normal and I would know this if I had been paying attention to the voltage more over the years?

I'm hoping it's the latter but I expect it's the former

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
battery