Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2018, 12:04   #121

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: lagoon 440 repair- big hole in hull

Quote:
Originally Posted by rom View Post
Not only you and the late posters are off topic but you are disclosing information the OP did not provide. I haven't verified CF rules but this is obviously not ethical. I am shocked no one else is shocked.

Off topic?! Are you serious?

The OP asked if an item was repairable, and provided less than stellar photos and insufficient information.

Given that the vessel is in public view, and that it’s condition is far worse than originally disclosed I don’t see this in any way an ethical violation.

If it had been in a private warehouse I could understand a little your statement. But it is not.

The only thing that shocks me is that someone would look at that vessel and think it was anything but a money pit.

Can it be repaired.......sure. Should it? IMHO, NO!!!
Old 03-03-2018, 12:26   #122
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: lagoon 440 repair- big hole in hull

Given the fact that the OP.. if I remember rightly.. stated there was little to no other damage and that the other hull and engine were sound, to my mind the opinions given re repair were not off the mark.. one works on the evidence provided.. that's all one can do.. and that holes repairable.
However given the further evidence presented in the new photo's and an eye witness report as to the true state.. methinks no one will be leaping forward to outbid the OP for this boat.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:44   #123

I definitely wouldn't be happy if information about location of something what I'm trying to get for close to nothing (and this is the key to make project like this worthwhile) would be available to anyone. OP was trying to get advise based on information he provided, and location of the boat was not part of that information. Even though this boat wasn't hidden somewhere in the bushes, nobody on this forum knew exact information. Now literally thousands of people know about it. Most of them just readers, and trust me, there are people among them who have more brain, knowledge, experience, courage and are younger than some posters here.
So most definitely now OP has more competition to get that boat than before.
I've learned two things from this thread.
1. I never will ask for advice here in similar situation, to avoid situation which OP has now.
2. There's another reason to look for advice somewhere else. It's simply depressing to read comments of old, incompetent, uneducated people who doesn't have energy, scared of everything, not willing to learn trades to get job done etc. etc. Always judging by US laws, US rates, both of which simply ridiculous and do not apply to MOST of the World. Same applies to car rebuilding industry and other stuff.
Just look what projects young ambitious people on YT are taking! Even I would be scared some of them! And yet they get it done!

Just think. Let say this boat (when good) worth close to 300K. Let say OP will get boat for 25K and spend another 75K in money PLUS TWO YEARS OF WORKING FULL TIME on it, 12 hours per day, every day. He will save 200K at the end. That's 100K per year! If he will be able to finish the boat within 1 year - that's 200K! Most people in the world can't even dream about making that much money per year! It's just one of the ways to get something you're dreaming about but wouldn't be able to afford EVER otherwise.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:46   #124

Boat: Boatless at the moment

At least with misleading information the OP keep you all off the street for 10 pages...
Old 03-03-2018, 12:48   #125

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

I promise not to come look at that boat.
Did anyone determine what caused that hole?
Old 03-03-2018, 12:54   #126

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

You will always get free advice. Some good, some bad. It your responsibility to shift through the advice and ask additional questions refining the advice.
Try not to get upset.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:58   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchero76 View Post
I definitely wouldn't be happy if information about location of something what I'm trying to get for close to nothing (and this is the key to make project like this worthwhile) would be available to anyone. OP was trying to get advise based on information he provided, and location of the boat was not part of that information. Even though this boat wasn't hidden somewhere in the bushes, nobody on this forum knew exact information. Now literally thousands of people know about it. Most of them just readers, and trust me, there are people among them who have more brain, knowledge, experience, courage than some posters here.
So most definitely now OP has more competition to get that boat than before.
I've learned two things from this thread.
1. I never will ask for advice here in similar situation, to avoid situation which OP has now.
2. There's another reason to look for advice somewhere else. It's simply depressing to read comments of old, incompetent, uneducated people who doesn't have energy, scared of everything, not willing to learn trades to get job done etc. etc. Always judging by US laws, US rates, both of which simply ridiculous and do not apply to MOST of the World. Same applies to car rebuilding industry and other stuff.
Just look what projects young ambitious people on YT are taking! Even I would be scared some of them! And yet they get it done!

If you find a gem like this and need to ask advice on an Internet forum as to its feasibility you must be willing to accept that it’s now on the public stage. If you think anything you do on a public forum isn’t public you’re delusional.

I’m neither old, incompetent, nor uneducated. I’ve taken on projects much larger than that and succeeded. I however I have the transferable skill set that allows me to look at something like that and know roughly the pitfalls involved.

I’ve also had experience with labor outside of the US. And again as a generality, while not impossible, the lower the wage rates, generally the lower the skill set. This isn’t to say that great things cannot be done in low wage areas , just that greater oversight typically needs to be applied.

I have taken an old cruising boat that had been sunk, and turned it into a comfortable and reliable vessel. For the average person that’s just not possible......for a large percentage of the population a screwdriver is scary. For all we know you’re to be counted among the percentage that cannot operate a screwdriver, but because you’ve watched Delos videos you feel you’re competent to offer advice.

Rant off.
Old 03-03-2018, 13:07   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
For all we know you’re to be counted among the percentage that cannot operate a screwdriver, but because you’ve watched Delos videos you feel you’re competent to offer advice.
Yeah, sure, that tells a lot about your intelligence and education.
Old 03-03-2018, 13:12   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchero76 View Post
Yeah, sure, that tells a lot about your intelligence and education.

Does it now?
Old 03-03-2018, 13:25   #130

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

For anyone else who doesn't like looking sideways...though to me these pictures add little to the discussion.

Seems all agree that it can be fixed. My main concern would be the condition of all the other systems; if they're worn out, even getting the hull back together (not that hard a job) would represent such a small portion of the sail-away bill as to nix the 'deal'.

Any of you owners of comparably-sized cats want to volunteer up an average monthly maintenance figure, just for grins?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1ca.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	395.2 KB
ID:	165389   Click image for larger version

Name:	1cat.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	363.3 KB
ID:	165390  

Name:	1cata.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	396.4 KB
ID:	165391   Click image for larger version

Name:	1catar.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	362.3 KB
ID:	165393  

Name:	1catara.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	385.5 KB
ID:	165395  
Old 03-03-2018, 14:10   #131

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41

If this is the boat I think it is it sunk in Christiansted Harbor. So it has a giant hole and ruined systems. On an Island with very limited resources for repairs in a Hurrican ravaged area. The demand for skilled labor down right now is huge. I am an industry insider and directly involved in the repairs of a fleet of charter boats. This is not a boat or task worth taking on even if you had my connections and skills.

Unless you possess the skills to do the lions share of this on your own for a penny an hour it can not be done in any reasonable amount of time or for any reasonable budget.

Jay

https://www.google.com/search?q=mari...w=1536&bih=759
Old 03-03-2018, 14:25   #132

Yep, if it's been flooded with sea water, it's probably beyond feasible repair. The boat would basically need to be completely gutted, the entire interior, wiring, pumps toilets, cabinetry, engines, etc etc, ripped out and replaced.

Conversely, if it hasn't been flooded, it's very much repairable, for the right person. You'd still need access to a cheap place to work on the boat for maybe a year, and the ability to do a fair bit of the work yourself.

An option would be to repair the hole, replace the engines if necessary, and motor the boat to a location where more extensive work could be done.

John McEnroe
Old 03-03-2018, 14:34   #133

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33

Gosh, I'm so shocked that this turned out to be a complete POS that no one in their right mind would touch.

Shocked I tell you.
Old 03-03-2018, 15:00   #134

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

This is what I started with,
It was half submerged for a week,,
Non of the wood inside has been replaced, It was dried out and estapoled,
Looks brand new again,
Toilet, shower, Etc Etc are still working, undamaged by immersion,
All electricals and wiring had to be replaced as they got crushed rocking on the rocks, or shorted out as it sunk,
All the pumps are OK as they were the submersible types,

The hard part with this repair was that its a double hull, The inside had to come out before the out side could be repaired and then the inner hulls had to be repaired and reinstalled,
As for the rest of the boat, It was undamaged,

They actually look worse than what they are,
Scratched paint looks terrible at any time, But is there damage under the scratched paint, Only close inspection can determine that,
When I was younger, I glassed over the hulls of two wooden speed boats, They came up magic,
I had toyed with the idea of repairing mine, Myself, But I live too far away from the boat to be feasible,

Getting the sand out was another big problem, It was every where,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1090.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	165396   Click image for larger version

Name:	1075.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	165397  

Name:	1081.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	165398   Click image for larger version

Name:	1089.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	165399  

Name:	1073.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	165400  
Old 03-03-2018, 15:07   #135
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

What the hell did they eat before they used the heads LMFAO I have fixed worse after the tsunami. Anything can be fixed its just a case of how much !

Tags
hull, lagoon, Lagoon 440