Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 22-01-2007, 21:42   #451

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
From the photos I would be very worried. It appears that the fridges are just shoved inside cupboards. There needs to be proper ventilation or the heat from the condensor and motor will build up inside the cupboard. There should be a vent low to let the air in and another near the top to let the hot out. I can't see any low vents in the cockpit shot, is that a vent above the gas locker.
The galley can't have vents through the bulkhead as there is seating behind. Maybe they are through the side into the companionway area, worth a check.

All these self contained units are very ineficient without proper ventilation. I am thinking of buying a cheepo 240v unit and ripping out the compressor and condensor. Build the carcass in with proper insulation and connect up a danfoss with a keel cooler. This would be both cheeper and far more efficient than a Waeco.
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2007, 22:07   #452

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimsical
All these self contained units are very ineficient without proper ventilation. I am thinking of buying a cheepo 240v unit and ripping out the compressor and condensor. Build the carcass in with proper insulation and connect up a danfoss with a keel cooler. This would be both cheeper and far more efficient than a Waeco.
Way to go.

What sort of foam are you thinking of, green polyu, or blue dow polystyrene, or maybe something else.

Not trying to hijack thread at all.

Dave
Old 22-01-2007, 22:16   #453

Cat
The blue board, polyuratane I think, is supposed to have good thermal properties but I haven't realy looked at what I can get my hands on yet
Mike
Old 23-01-2007, 02:19   #454

Boat: now floating easy37
try the multi panel foam, i used it to build a fridge freezer and it is pretty easy to use
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007, 02:21   #455

i to thought of going the 240 way but in the end i decided i didnt want the thing to rust out and built my own fridge freezer out of multipanel, the freezer is toip loading and the fridge front opening with a spilled air system, not quite finished but looks pretty good
sean
Old 23-01-2007, 02:22   #456

basically it will start life as the table with the table top lifting to give access to the freezer
sean
Old 23-01-2007, 04:20   #457

Northerncat
The reason I was thinking of the cheepo fridge was to make use of the internal liner with the shelf guides and bottle holders in the door. I tend to think it may be too flimsy however and I may go custom s/s. I'm only at the very start of the build so this is a long way off.

Mike
Old 23-01-2007, 14:43   #458

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by northerncat
try the multi panel foam, i used it to build a fridge freezer and it is pretty easy to use
sean

I thought that Richard Kollman said that Thick polyurethane was about the best R value foam available.

From his site,

Selecting Equipment

We know that boating with good dry insulation where the sea-water temperature rarely exceeds 70°F, you can get by with 2 to 2-1/2 inches of insulation in the refrigerator, but if you are boating in the tropics with a daily high of over 90°F, and the sea-water temperature is 85°F you would need from 3-4 inches of good quality closed cell foam or a product with an “R” value of at least 7 per inch for a good performing refrigerator. To maintain a good freezer in the tropics, you would need from 4-6 inches of good quality insulation.

MultiPanel - Technical data

Multipanel foam R value

Thermal conductivity
8mm — R value 1.5
12mm — R value 2.3
16mm — R value 3.1
18mm — R value 3.5
25mm — R value 4.8
30mm — R value 5.7

I got 100 mm Polyurethane from these guy's last time, and we could keep ice for 10-14 day's in our icebox, in the sun.

Needed good ice at the start though,

Coldesign

20/ 115 Dollis St Rocklea QLD 4106
(07) 32744308

Dave
Old 24-01-2007, 03:40   #459
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Dave:
Brisbane, at 27.5 deg. S , is a sub-tropical climate, with Summer seawater temperatures of about 77 degrees F (25C), and 66F/19C degrees in Winter.

Your satisfactory experience with roughly R20 insulation (100mm @ ± R 0.20/mm) falls within Kollmann’s minimum recommendations (3" x R7 = R21, for 85 deg F water).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 04:06   #460

Did I get lost? I thought this was meant to be a Lagoon-420-owners-forum and not a "build-my-own..."-Forum...

Any news about the 420-performance? I thought one of you should be a prout owner by now. Has anyone had the chance to testsail the boat? Is the electrical problem solved?

Unfortunately we don't get the "owners' letter" and our dealer is more than quiet...
Don K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 04:20   #461

Boat: Lagoon 420
The conversation has drifted off topic from time to time. Thanks for bringing it back.

Cat Co (with hull #2) are doing sea trials about now with a view to putting the polars together. They've also been testing in the field software upgrades of the electrical controller.

We have been told the electrical problems are all sorted.

Production is ramping up. Some of the first ten boats were held up after leaving the factory (waiting for a part) but this is not supposed to be altering the schedule for later boats.

I've been assured that my April 2nd date (for hull #20) is still on. The Lundy's (on this board) have hull #11 I think - they should be getting their boat fairly soon.

Nick Harvey from Lagoon America has been pushing out the newsletters as has my dealer. You could try contacting Nick directly. We've had four newsletters published so far.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:39   #462

That doesn`t sound too bad. Have you heard of anyone test-sailing the boat under real conditions?

Are the newsletters written by the factory or Lagoon america? I'll kick my dealer to forward them to me...
Old 01-02-2007, 08:20   #463

Boat: Lagoon 400
question about sail options

Getting back to L420 questions, I haven't posted this here but I have been soliciting advice about downwind sail options on the 420.

We are hull #66, delivery date October '07, and I need to specify options to have the factory install on the boat. We are taking delivery in France and sailing the boat over to the Caribbean where it will go into charter service in the BVI.

I think we will want to have a downwind sail for our time on the boat, but will not want to leave it on for charterers to use. The factory options for gennaker and spinnaker rigging, gear and sails are pretty expensive (around $10k for either option). I'm trying to decide whether we should buy the factory gennaker rigging (which I understand is an additional roller furling setup, running rigging and possibly a whisker pole) and then buy the sail seperately. I'm also wondering whether I could get by with a 'non-furled' gennaker and what additional rigging I would need for that.

Comments, observations, warnings, etc., from 420 buyers and others would be helpful.

Thanks,

Charlie
cjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 08:48   #464

Boat: Lagoon 420
Hi Charlie,

What we opted for was to go for the manufacturers genaker gear but stop short of buying the genaker from Lagoon. We too will be chartering and using but at some point we intend to move aboard. In our case we're deferring the decision on which sail, etc. to the time we move aboard. I am therefore interested in the experiences of other owners as experience grows.

There is some info on the thread : http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ails-5961.html
Old 01-02-2007, 09:56   #465

Hi Charlie,

we are also going for the genacker/spinacker-gear without sails, in order to decide later about the sails...

Has the October-Delivery for No. 66 been confirmed?

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 420