Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2024, 11:35   #1

Lagoon 380 S2 model year differences?

Hiya folks!

I was wondering if anyone knew of any changes over the years of the 380 S2?

AFAIK production ran from 2003 - 2019. Idk if it was an "option" but the 2003 & 2004 models seem to have only ventilation ports in the berths while 2005+ S2's had the large rectangular windows + ventilation ports.

Aside from this, I'm wondering if there were any glassing or structural differences, improved wiring layouts, etc, as well.

Thanks all!
Fenestron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 12:06   #2

Boat: Lagoon 380
Re: Lagoon 380 S2 model year differences?

Hello, I have owned 4 different L380 S2 owners version, a 2005, 2011, 2013 and a 2016. Sheet from SB foresail was changed sometime after 2005, where it was necessary to walk SB to handle the sheet. On newer models you handle both the sheets from the helm.
Also a strange looking nav-pod is sticking up in front of the helmsman view forward on older 2005 models.
Lamination and boat strength was OK on all of my boats. The 2005 model has "warmer" and nicer interior, and more cozy being the darker "real" wood veneer. Later models (from 2009ish) has APLPI "wood" (looks like a printed surface laminate).
Electrics are less digital on earlier boats, with the later boats having the electronic control panel for AC/DC. I like the DIY approach on older boats.
Earlier models had a seat and desk in the owners cabin, later has a locker instead of the seat.
Shower faucet was moved inboard on later models, not a big deal, but gives more space to shower and less water on the door. Can easily be changed anyway.
No option for hardtop on earlier models, but it is still possible to order a hardtop from Lagoon, and fit it to earlier models (appx. 10.000 EUR).
More or less the S2 models are the same, only minor differences.
Wiring is the same, almost, however the 2005 model does not have any connection from the SB engine to the domestic batteries, but again easy fix, just run a wire and add a regulator.
Structure and lamination work is OK on any boat, on the earlier 2005 everything was laminated well, on the later boats there were a lot more use of the grey "glue", but no issues from my experience.
Not all models from lagoon are the same. The 380 is a "bullet proof", strong, and well built little boat that can take a lot, and still feel safe, and easy to handle in most conditions.
Having owned a L440 as well, I saw some problems with the "glue" and intermediate bulkheads coming loose and start moving (first clue is the squeaky noises while underway).
My 380 boats never had a any squeaks or doors that was hard to open and close underway, but the 440 sure did have some issues with flexing...not a nice feeling and caused us some concerns.
If you decide on a 380 I think you will be happy. Just don't look at all the big cats, and envy the vast amount of space and livability - remember you will have the more fun to sail Lagoon!
Enjoy it!
All the best /N
Be Free Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 12:35   #3

Re: Lagoon 380 S2 model year differences?

EXACLTY the kind of response I was hoping for and very indepth, thank you kindly!

It may seem silly but the long rectangular windows in the berth not present on the 03 & 04 models means I would personally only look at 05+.

You have owned quite the range of these boats which is very confidence inspiring. Also, the pole in the center of the saloon on the larger Lagoons is inconveniant functionally and aesthetically but to each their own of course.

I did find a later 2017 for sale but at 300K I was wondering if it was actually worth it to go newer when the prices for the 2013's were around 200k. It's a shame 40 is now the smallest Lagoon offers.
Fenestron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, lagoon, lagoon 380, model