Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2020, 08:40   #1

410 Engines less prone to issues due to internal access?

I heard somewhere ( i forget where ) that as the 410 has the engines under the main cabin beds, therefore not accessible from the outside. They last a LOT longer, with FAR less issues as there is no salt water getting to them, less humidity etc!

I would imagine this goes for all cats with similar internal access to the engines. Curious how much truth is in that. (ie repair cost reduction)
Also is there then more issues with heat buildup, or is that a non-issue ?

Any thoughts/experience most welcome
AndrewA2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2020, 13:59   #2

Boat: LAGOON 400
Re: 410 Engines less prone to issues due to internal access?

we have stern access to engines and both engines have no corrosion or any other mechanical issue so far.

One should be careful not to leave access open if it starts raining, or worse, get splash from seawater.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2020, 14:32   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Re: 410 Engines less prone to issues due to internal access?

Of all the Lagoons in the 38 to 42 foot range, the 410 is probably my favorite as a nice blend of reasonable performance and accommodation. I've never owned one, but sailed several including one that a friend owned.

The engines under the aft bunks was never a big problem in terms of heat and sound and there are advantages to doing work on the inside and out of the weather. By and large the access for working on them is good to very good, with one big exception on the 40hp Yanmars, anyway. I learned this when my friend needed to change his water pump impellers. At least on his (a 1999, I believe), the water pump was located in such a way that you could not access the screws on the front plate to get to the impellers! We tried all sorts of ways including with an angled ratchet wrench. We could not get to them. We ended up having to jack up the engine (taking it off the front motor mounts) with a hydraulic jack to change them out. How frustrating! I don't know if they changed this in later years, hopefully so, but what a PITA for a regular maintenance item.

The second thing I don't like about them is the traveler. The endless loop design with undersized locking cleats chafes the line excessively, then the cleats won't lock, and the darn thing becomes pretty useless. If I were to own a 410, I'd definitely change the traveler to something more useful and secure. Fortunately, that's a fairly cheap fix.

Regarding the lifespan of the engines, I doubt that having them under the bunk significantly increases or decreases their lifespan. I think there are many other factors that weigh more heavily on that (e.g., routine maintenance).

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine