Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2012, 12:27   #1

Willing to sail anywhere

I'm lucky enough to have a steady seasonal job that allows for a lot of time off. In my off-season, I like to travel and learn, and my major focus right now is sailing.

I'm free from the end of February until the middle of April, and then again from the beginning of May until the end of September. I know that entire length of time probably won't work for anyone, but I reckon I'll learn more sailing under a few different captains anyhow. If you think you might have a spot for me for a month or two, that would be great.

I have enough experience to be confident that I don't get seasick easily, but I can't boast much more than that. I've done a handful of yacht races and a couple day trips, and I actually lived on a sailboat last winter, but I wasn't confident enough to take her out on my own. I'm taking my ASA 101 sailing certification this December.

I'll meet you anywhere. I'll pay my share of the food and fuel (though I'd really appreciate an estimated cost per day), and I'm happy to do my share of the chores. I think you'll find I'm pretty easy to get along with. I just don't know much about sailing. Yet.

My name is Tom. I'm male. Age 28. Average height and build. If there's any other information I should be including, just let me know.

Edit: Just had a thought. I'm a vegetarian, which I understand could be a bit of a complication for folks looking to have shared meals.
Old 27-11-2012, 15:17   #2

Re: Willing to sail anywhere

ok let me know your details and we can fix something up for february but maybe St. Thomas or Dominica joining.

I will fit you in.

As a vegetarian you should not have to pay anything more or less as there are plenty of fish in the sea.

You will not be expected to dive for lobsters and if not we will make an arrangement where you can dive 60 feet and pick big fish on a harpoon.

We sell the fish to pay for the beer.

John
Old 30-11-2012, 07:13   #3

Do you have a particular route planned? I don't eat fish, but I'd be happy to dive and/or do some fish-spearing (fair warning: I have no experience).
Old 30-11-2012, 07:50   #4

Hi Tom,

The plan is to do a trip to St. Croix St. Baarts, St. Maarten, Tortola and try our luck in the chartering market.If we can charter and catch fish to sell to restaurants all well and good. If somebody gets a job in a bar during the night, thats also good.The idea being that everybody can maintain themselves by minimum catching fish.

You can do a divers course to 18 meters and we fix up a harpoon to catch big fish.The rest will also be going on a divers course. It's about 3 days and cost anour 400 bucks.We could get some gear that is good for everybody.

We are working on a money sharing system

John
Old 30-11-2012, 07:54   #5
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinerant Tom View Post
If there's any other information I should be including, just let me know.
I can't help, but as you asked.........

I would mention what passport you hold (I am presuming US - mostly by the fact yer never mentioned where you are ) - a "good" passport means no immigration issues for the Skipper / Owner.

and also your favourite colour - that always important .

Apart from that, yer sound pretty much a decent punt for at least 3rd hand onboard - and a willingness to put hand in own pocket should mean you have no great problem finding a bunk. Good luck .
Old 30-11-2012, 08:08   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

I must have been sleeping a long time. It appears to be April 1st already.
Old 30-11-2012, 08:35   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I would mention what passport you hold (I am presuming US - mostly by the fact yer never mentioned where you are )
Haha! Good call. I do indeed have a US passport. I guess I was thinking it didn't matter where I was, because I'm happy to meet a captain anywhere, not thinking that other passports might make travel more difficult. For the record, at the moment I'm in New York City.

Tags
sail