Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2013, 21:01   #1
M C

Boat: 1983 Bruce Roberts Spray 36A Steel Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to M C
Lightbulb Willing Solo, Open to Company Crossing FL to AL in the Gulf

I've been having so much fun reading posts I decided to go for a swim in this shark tank.

The boat: 1983 36' Bruce Roberts Spray 36A steel cutter. I just bought her a few weeks ago and the best yard to haul and have work the work needed done (grit blast, epoxy hull) is in Alabama. I have sailed since before I was born. This is a heavy tank of a boat though she moves surprisingly well in light air. A thorough survey pointed out concerns on the bottom coat so that is the first order of business.

First leg in early October (weather permitting) from Hernando Beach, FL to Bayou La Batre, AL. Not an extended offshore passage but more than a day sail. Not for the totally inexperienced looking for a good time but may be right for someone with experience or training looking for more experience. It is hurricane season through October in the Gulf after all. Also, more than 24 hours on the water crossing open water, avoiding the notorious Big Bend. Course plan is to sail straight west then due north.

I'd appreciate experience with Steiner Shipyard or the passage from Hernando Beach (N of Tampa, FL) to Mobile, AL. Plan after yard work and outfitting: November 2013: down to the Dry Tortugas, Bahamas, Virgin Islands, clockwise around the Gulf then (June 2014) sail up the western Atlantic and across to Britain and Scandinavia.
Old 07-09-2013, 19:20   #2

Boat: never mind...
Re: Willing Solo, Open to Company Crossing FL to AL in the Gulf

Lots of experience, none off shore or overnight. Not much time these days, either.

Bayou la Batre is an amazing place. Good luck in your search.
Old 07-09-2013, 21:30   #3

Boat: PEARSON 422

Located in the Tampa Bay area. Experience with offashore and overnight passages. Also experience handling a sailboat about the same size. May be able to help. Shoot me a pm when you get a chance.

ep
Old 29-09-2013, 18:31   #4
M C

Boat: 1983 Bruce Roberts Spray 36A Steel Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to M C
Decided to haul out here in Hernando Beach at Sterling Marina. Haul out this Wednesday at 11 AM. I am afraid I got greedy and overspent on a Port Supply wholesale offer through the boat broker - Sea America Yachts. Kind of got carried away shopping, outfitting and refitting supplies. DIY for now. Yard work will keep me busy through the end of hurricane season. Imagining working on the boat through November, day sailing out of Twin Dolphins Marina in Bradenton when the bottom work is done. I think it is a two day sail from Hernando Beach.
Old 13-10-2013, 21:55   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to Ctmlupi RYA

Hi M C,
If you are still looking crew for the second part of your plan, I would like be there.
I am 42 yo, I sailed around Mediterranean Sea and in the ocean from Gibraltar to Capo Verde and back.
I have RYA Yachtmaster offshore cert.
in my profile you can find some more info about me.
Thank you very much.
Ernesto

Ernesto *dot* giancotti *hat* gmail com
Mobile phone 7187532243

Tags
paracelle