Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 23:03   #1

Boat: Nic Bailey design Scat Venture West, 40ft Epoxy carbon foam sandwich construction
uk 2 indo

O-Flo a 40ft hi-tech catamaran is looking for crew to sail from Falmouth, UK to Bali, Indonesia. Previous crewing experience not essential.

The skipper is a fully licensed yachtmaster ocean with over 60k sea miles. The trip will take 5-6 months via the Med, Red Sea, Gulf of Aden and across the Indian Ocean. The approximate cost per person is £700 a month but if couples are interested it will be £500 each. Please contact me (Toby Cokes) if you are interested.

+44 (0) 1209 890213
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ofl.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	69935  
Old 06-11-2013, 04:25   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: uk 2 indo

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Toby.

Old 06-11-2013, 22:44   #3

That sounds like an amazing adventure. When are you planning on leaving? How many crew? Planned stops?
Old 06-11-2013, 23:03   #4

Boat: Nic Bailey design Scat Venture West, 40ft Epoxy carbon foam sandwich construction

A rough itinerary: Falmouth - La Coruna - Porto - Lisbon - Gilbrator - Balearic's - Sardinia - Scilly - Malta - Crete - Alexandria - Suez - Red Sea - Gulf of Aden - Maldives - Sri Lanka - Andaman's - Sumatra - Nias - Mentawi's - Panaitan - Bali - Depart late November/early December arrive in Bali around May. I have two crew already have two more spare cabins available and each cabin is a double cabin.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:03   #5

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

I suppose you've already seen this on Noonsite.com

LATEST WARNING - PUBLISHED OCTOBER 2013

The joint risk assessment for threats to sailing yachts in the High Risk Area off Somalia has been undertaken in conjunction with the Maritime Security Centre – Horn of Africa (MSCHOA), UK Maritime Trade Organisation (UKMTO), NATO Shipping Centre and US Maritime Liaison Office (MARLO) and the Yachting Community (including ISAF, RYA, OCC, CA, RCC). Its conclusions are clear and incontrovertible:

All sailing yachts under their own passage should remain out of the High Risk Area (HRA) or face the risk of being hijacked and held hostage for ransom.

Fair winds, calm seas and good luck.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:14   #6

Im fully aware of the threat thank you nhschneider. The crew will disembark in Yemen (Red Sea) and meet the boat again in Salalah, Oman. Please look on the thread, Gulf of Aden 2013
Old 07-11-2013, 02:56   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I think you will find Yemen is no longer safe for westerners. Atoll posted a similar warning on CF a couple of months ago. Al-Qaeda now opperating freely across the country.

Pete
Old 07-11-2013, 03:55   #8

the airport is 10 miles from the Anchorage. I'm gambling they are not blown up by Al-Qaeda during their 15 minute taxi journey to the airport. Would it be better to drop them in Saudi Arabia?
Old 07-11-2013, 04:01   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I don't think a bomb will be the problem but instead kidnapping. I can do no more than point you to the latest FO advice:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/yemen
Old 07-11-2013, 04:09   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

personally i would stay well clear of yemen,massawa and dijibouti however are okay.

see link for a more current picture of the daily violence in yemen

Yemeni security officer injured in car-bomb attack in Aden - Xinhua | English.news.cn
Old 07-11-2013, 04:38   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I don't think a bomb will be the problem but instead kidnapping. I can do no more than point you to the latest FO advice:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/yemen
which says:

"The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all travel to Yemen and strongly urge British nationals to leave. If you don’t leave the country now while commercial carriers are still flying it is extremely unlikely that the British government will be able to evacuate you or provide consular assistance."

Yikes.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:07   #12

Lived in North East Africa, sailed the Red Sea and worked in Saudi and in the maritime security industry for a while now and would you find me on a 40ft cat going the wrong way - not likely... Sincerely suggest you re think the route and consequences.......
Old 07-11-2013, 12:33   #13

I have taken the emboldened step of going the other way. Thank you all very much for your links and comments (you maybe saved my life ) The bastards have shut off half the world to yachts and added an extra 10000 nm to my journey to get back to my home from home at least now I can sleep easy.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:49   #14

Boat: wharram tiki 26

Good man.
Old 07-11-2013, 14:34   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oflo View Post
I have taken the emboldened step of going the other way. Thank you all very much for your links and comments (you maybe saved my life ) The bastards have shut off half the world to yachts and added an extra 10000 nm to my journey to get back to my home from home at least now I can sleep easy.
good decision,though a bit longer it is a lot gentler on the boat,and you should have no problem finding crew for that route.