Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2015, 17:33   #1
G-6

Trans-Atlantic Crossing: Gibraltar to St Thomas

Hello I am the First Mate of a 62ft Dynamique, a Phillip Briand designed monohull which is posting for crew needed for a Trans-Atlantic crossing. This vessel charters half of the year in the Med and the other half in the Caribbean. * The vessel's name is Anahita, anyone looking to see what the vessel looks like is welcome to look her up on the internet. She is in showroom condition, with all the necessary safety equipment, jack lines, EPIRB, new liferaft, SSB, 14ft RIB tender, harnesses and tethers. She is in great shape mechanically with a large battery bank {24V}, and is powered by a Perkins 135 HP Diesel engine. She is complete with solar panels, a high capacity water-maker, a Single Side Band {SSB} for sailmail and weather routing data, and the owner maintains a personal Satellite Phone for his own use, this vessel is well set up for the safety of any crew whom would decide to sail on this vessel. I have sailed three times with the captain and his partner and would highly recommend them for anyone whom is looking to gain sea miles, or just wants to gain experience. As far as experience is concerned, this is a crossing and that means that anyone whom applies should have certain basic understanding of how to sail, i.e. be capable of assisting with reefing the mainsail when necessary, i.e. when squalls hit, as well as be capable of standing a solo night watch.* It goes without saying that the captain as well as the first mate are ALWAYS available is you have any questions or require assistance of any kind.* One should possess a basic understanding of the COLLREGS, and be able to ascertain whether the vessel is on a collision course and take necessary action to avoid a close quarters situation.* This is a dry boat.* Except for one beer during dinner or one glass of wine during dinner there is no alcohol underway.* No contraband of any sort will be tolerated.* You will eat well, {the cook is amazing} and will sleep well and be enjoy the experience.* This vessel sails well but is a large boat and that means you have to respect the amount of forces you are dealing with & pay attention & be able to anticipate whether we need to change course or sail plan, and bring it to either myself or the captain's attention.*** The name of the captain is Bijan.* You may reach him through his e-mail: pyrak@aol.com tell him that Bill Murray sent you. He will discuss the terms with you.* We are looking to depart in approximately ten days, possibly two weeks at the outside limit.* There will be no planned stops along the passage, except for mechanical issues, or medical issues.* This is a great opportunity to sail with a very experienced skipper aboard a luxurious, well maintained vessel.* Space is limited, we are looking for one, possibly two crew/deckhands.* Thank you.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:39   #2

Re: Trans-Atlantic Crossing: Gibraltar to St Thomas

I do not have much of a experience, if you have time , or might be willing to teach im sure I will be a good crew. Iam located in Gibralta at the moment. And if you require and help preparing im happy to do is ( even if you not decide to bring me along) .

Here is a link to my post I made the other day, regarding a crossing.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1957574
thanks in Advance!

// Martin
Old 09-11-2015, 04:20   #3

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-6 View Post
Hello I am the First Mate of a 62ft Dynamique, a Phillip Briand designed monohull which is posting for crew needed for a Trans-Atlantic crossing. This vessel charters half of the year in the Med and the other half in the Caribbean. * The vessel's name is Anahita, anyone looking to see what the vessel looks like is welcome to look her up on the internet. She is in showroom condition, with all the necessary safety equipment, jack lines, EPIRB, new liferaft, SSB, 14ft RIB tender, harnesses and tethers. She is in great shape mechanically with a large battery bank {24V}, and is powered by a Perkins 135 HP Diesel engine. She is complete with solar panels, a high capacity water-maker, a Single Side Band {SSB} for sailmail and weather routing data, and the owner maintains a personal Satellite Phone for his own use, this vessel is well set up for the safety of any crew whom would decide to sail on this vessel. I have sailed three times with the captain and his partner and would highly recommend them for anyone whom is looking to gain sea miles, or just wants to gain experience. As far as experience is concerned, this is a crossing and that means that anyone whom applies should have certain basic understanding of how to sail, i.e. be capable of assisting with reefing the mainsail when necessary, i.e. when squalls hit, as well as be capable of standing a solo night watch.* It goes without saying that the captain as well as the first mate are ALWAYS available is you have any questions or require assistance of any kind.* One should possess a basic understanding of the COLLREGS, and be able to ascertain whether the vessel is on a collision course and take necessary action to avoid a close quarters situation.* This is a dry boat.* Except for one beer during dinner or one glass of wine during dinner there is no alcohol underway.* No contraband of any sort will be tolerated.* You will eat well, {the cook is amazing} and will sleep well and be enjoy the experience.* This vessel sails well but is a large boat and that means you have to respect the amount of forces you are dealing with & pay attention & be able to anticipate whether we need to change course or sail plan, and bring it to either myself or the captain's attention.*** The name of the captain is Bijan.* You may reach him through his e-mail: pyrak@aol.com tell him that Bill Murray sent you. He will discuss the terms with you.* We are looking to depart in approximately ten days, possibly two weeks at the outside limit.* There will be no planned stops along the passage, except for mechanical issues, or medical issues.* This is a great opportunity to sail with a very experienced skipper aboard a luxurious, well maintained vessel.* Space is limited, we are looking for one, possibly two crew/deckhands.* Thank you.
Loving the Dynamique 62s! I am not interested but my 2 cents would be to suggest anyone who is interested to contact. Lovely craft. Enjoy!
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Old 09-11-2015, 08:26   #4

Hi my name is captain Gabriel Cordero available in Miami fl am interested I have done many crossings and I have alot of sailing experience am also a rigger and good with engines! If this a paying position I will like the oportunity to show my skills and be a great score to the crew on this long passage ! Thanks
Old 09-11-2015, 12:46   #5

Boat: 48' steel cutter

What an opportunity, I wish I was "available," somebody will have a real blast. Good luck!
Old 09-11-2015, 14:45   #6
G-6

Hey Everybody

I've got bad news. I've been in contact with the captain everyday, assisting him with setting this thing up, as of the time of the posting I made for crew, all lights were green and we looked good for the crossing.

I'm in NY and the vessel right now is currently off St Tropez.

I was was planning on coming in to help provision, and complete system checks and do weather routing, the usual stuff before a crossing. That as well as the other 999 things that happen before one takes a vessel across the pond.

I've crossed 3 times with Bijan, and he's very thorough about maintaining the vessel, so what happened next was a enormous surprise for me.

I got an email this morning from the captain with bad news.

THE CROSSING HAS BEEN CANCELLED.

Apparently, there was a major intrusion of water into the vessel, and the crossing is off. I don't know what happened, as I said I was not there. It could've been a busted hose, a broken seacock, who knows, I don't.

From what I've heard, it's a mess and there is a lot of sorting out the damage and repairs and cleaning up on the horizon.

I'm limiting my comments to what information I personally know which is limited.

I've received word that the crossing has been indefinitely suspended as we sort this out.

I'm looking into flights to head out that way to assist with sorting out this mess.

I apologize to everyone, at the time I made the posting, the situation was very different than it is today.

My thoughts and prayers are with the with Bijan and Roseanne, they've got a huge mess they're in the middle of cleaning up right now.

Thanks for your time, if and when this gets sorted, I'll let everyone know but right now it's off. I'm sorry, my heart is broken and I am in disbelief that such a horrible event could happen to two of the most gracious, amazing lovely people I've ever met.

Tags
atlantic crossing, Gibraltar