Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2013, 18:06   #1

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
SF Bay to San Diego

Looking for crew (1 or 2), for the trip from Alameda Ca. to San Diego. Some sailing experience appreciated. The trip will be played safe with no "have to" dates on arrival. Hopefully 1 or 2 nights heold up for weather, especially around Pt. Conception. I cover all costs for the boat and birthing. You supply or pay for your own food and such. Startin the end of August with an arrival in SD somewhere around the middle of September.
Vessel is a well founded Hallberg Rassy 35 with radar, GPS, liferaft, EPIRB and hot running water. Who could ask for more...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 24-05-2013, 18:21   #2

Boat: Pacific Seacraft, Dana, 24
Send a message via ICQ to EveningTide
Re: SF Bay to San Diego

That should be a nice trip and at a nice time of year. I have sailed along this route a few times and I have free time. But, if anyone else who meets your requirements asks to go, take them first because I get plenty of sailing. I doubt you will have trouble finding someone but if August arrives and you still need someone, let me know. Ken

Oh- don't worry so much about Pt. Conception- just pick a reasonable day. (< 30 kts)
Old 24-05-2013, 19:04   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveningTide View Post
That should be a nice trip and at a nice time of year. I have sailed along this route a few times and I have free time. But, if anyone else who meets your requirements asks to go, take them first because I get plenty of sailing. I doubt you will have trouble finding someone but if August arrives and you still need someone, let me know. Ken

Oh- don't worry so much about Pt. Conception- just pick a reasonable day. (< 30 kts)
Thanx...I've done the trip numerous times. I like someone to hand steer when I tend the sails in a blow rather than hoping the auto pilot does not get overwhelmed. I'm sure some others might find a downhill trip to SD fun.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 24-05-2013, 19:37   #4

Try to time it so you round Pt. Conception in daytime. We did it at night and it was terrifying. Manageable wind, I think (probably blowing 25-30; nothing unusual on the weather report....no advisories, business as usual, I guess) but crazy waves. Being able to see them would have helped, I think! Maybe not........
Old 24-05-2013, 21:19   #5

I found if I got on the VHF and talked to some fishermen, I could get a sea state report. I usually leave SLO around 11pm. and catch Conception at first light.
Old 28-05-2013, 11:16   #6

Hello, my name is Zack

I am currently living in Napa California and would like to take time off to travel out at sea to gain more experience. I found your post and thought a trip down the California coast might be something I need to get more experience on sailing.
I have worked on fishing boats before for three years and have had two weeks of experience on a sail boat and would like the opportunity to continue learning for i enjoyed every minute of it.
About myself: I am a person that is dependable and trustworthy, qualified as a chef and a writer and if any of those talents can be used on a vessel then feel free to ask. I like to learn as much as I can and have a good time doing it. I am also an out door person having been raised on a farm near the red woods where I go out with friends taking nothing but our backpacks for a few nights. I love nature and have cared for many types of animals and would enjoy seeing even more sights when I travel. My plans for a voyage is to take a break before college and see life as it is.

If we can work something out give me an email to see if we can talk about the matter. My email is chef_who@ymail.com
Old 28-05-2013, 22:09   #7

Hey Martin, Saw your add for crewing at the end of August, and thought I would give you a shout. I've been sailing on inland waters and I'm looking to get some off shore experience. I'm taking a Coastal "Sea Trials" Cruising course in July and would love to reinforce it up with some offshore miles. I'm super dependable, not afraid to work hard, follow directions well and can fix about anything.

I would love to be part of your crew for this voyage. Let me know if your interested or want more details.

Thanks

Jim
Old 05-06-2013, 00:51   #8

Hi,

I'm interested in joining the trip down the coast. I have some experience sailing around southern California and panama/ Colombia as chef/ crew on my father' boat and charter boat. I'm in Los Angeles. My schedule is flexible. I'm willing to pay my way. I'm just looking for cruising experience.

- Kevin
Old 06-06-2013, 11:54   #9

Hi,

I am very interested in crewing for you on your trip down. I live in San Diego so it would be a convenient destination. I have some offshore sailing experience having sailed to Cabo and a fundamental understanding of most aspects of sailing. I'm very responsible and diligent while on watch and I don't have any problems with the dog watch. I have my bareboat certification and have chartered in Martinique and the BVI's. I really want to learn as much as I can because I hope to buy my own boat and do some cruising soon. I'm 52 and getting ready to retire and take off in the next couple of years so I would really appreciate the opportunity to come along.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:04   #10

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I saw him putting this boat together. He does things right.
Old 06-06-2013, 17:58   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
I saw him putting this boat together. He does things right.
Thanx Steve, I appreciate it. Check out the blog and my Rocna anchor. It holds so well, I can throw it up in the air and it grabs into thin air and holds...amazing...
Old 06-06-2013, 18:00   #12

Thanx for the replies from everyone. Looks like Jim "PutASailOnIt" is going along, tentatively. If anything changes, I will let you all know...CS
Old 06-06-2013, 18:23   #13

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Id like to go but we cant leave till spring next year and being we're headed south , can we forget the boat and rent à motorhome.. and you'll have to cover the cost, as Im saving my money to but à 65 foot oyster to live on full time in my x- wives back yard..
You'll always be welcome. In my new boat though.... Well maybe, Ill have to give it some more thought..
Old 06-06-2013, 20:48   #14

Sounds like you have crew, but if not I have years experience both atlantic and pacific hundreds of hours singlehanded and deliveries of all type and condition of yachts to many countries, presently in LA and need some work to finish outfitting mine for a pacific crossing december. thanks for consideration