Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2015, 12:00   #1

Boat: Diesel Duck 462
Point Roberts to Ensenada

Looking for crew to join me from Point Roberts to Ensenada leaving about September 9th. Going to Baja Naval shipyard in Ensenada. Have made the same trip a couple of times before. Must be capable of standing a watch and prefer crew to be somewhat mechanically inclined. Boat is a 2009 Diesel Duck 462. Anticipate a couple of weeks or longer depending on weather - in which case would make landfall if conditions allow. Please apply outlining motivations/experience etc.

Cheers

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Davids Iphone March 13-14 476.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	415.9 KB
ID:	107338  
Old 16-08-2015, 10:40   #2

Boat: 41 roughwater
Re: Point Roberts to Ensenada

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckinC View Post
Looking for crew to join me from Point Roberts to Ensenada leaving about September 9th. Going to Baja Naval shipyard in Ensenada. Have made the same trip a couple of times before. Must be capable of standing a watch and prefer crew to be somewhat mechanically inclined. Boat is a 2009 Diesel Duck 462. Anticipate a couple of weeks or longer depending on weather - in which case would make landfall if conditions allow. Please apply outlining motivations/experience etc.

Cheers

David
my wife and I have made the trip in a 61 choey lee lrc and stayed in Ensenada for about a year also had work done on the boat in Baja naval im widowed now and restoring a 41 roughwater ive owned a 52 Nordic 3288 bayliner 48 wendon and 2 sailboats ive crewed twice from seattle to san Francisco otherwise always all cruising was my wife and myself.we have also made may trips up north from Everett wa.i prefer to cruise with a limited crew.if interested let me know or call 45 2682070 thamks lyle e blank
Old 16-08-2015, 15:47   #3

Hi Lyle,

Nice to hear from you. I am not completely sorted yet, and rather than leave you hanging, I am going over to Vancouver Island for a couple of days and will make full contact when I return. At the moment, it is up in the air for crew since one guy I was counting on seems to have bowed out. To make the trip, I want three people since that is the best watch setup.

A little bit about myself, I am retired but spent many years at sea laterally running the West Coast division of a company called Canada Steamship Lines. I am married with a 14 year old daughter. My last sea posting was Master on large freighters. The navigation is no issue, GPS or otherwise. Mechanically, I am fairly proficient with my boat, but larger electrical and mechanical issues are a challenge. I have been down to Mexico three times on the current boat, and each time has been different. This year is likely to be better than the others as I intend to leave earlier (weather dependent). Given that you have made the trip yourself, you will understand that once you start down the Coast of Washington and Oregon, your weather options/port options are limited in heavy seas as all of the bars are closed. The boat is a Diesel Duck 462 - there is NO better sea boat, it is heavy and it sheds water. Nonetheless, I hate weather and prefer to manage it carefully.

I am scheduled at the shipyard September 28th, but I couldn't give a rats ass if I get there for the date, so if you have a schedule, it makes no sense to make the trip. I will provide the fuel and victualing, but the rest would be encumbered by you. i have made the trip in as little as 8.5 days, but realistically, I expect 10 continuous running days. I will take refuge in port for as long as it takes in the case of weather. The boat is not dry, but it is dry on watch. I am embarrassed to say that I am a smoker, but there is absolutely no smoking in the interior of the boat.

If there are any other questions you would have of me, please let me know and i will try to address them. Your phone number is a Danish area code(?), contact is no issue, but are you in the states or Denmark at the moment?

Cheers

David King
Old 16-08-2015, 20:40   #4

Boat: Endeavour 35.

Have crew yet? PM ME

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 17-08-2015, 16:03   #5

David,
I am interested in joining your trip south. I like your proposed watch schedule with four crew total (I presume 2 x three hour daily solo watch rotation). Experienced offshore sailor, have completed numerous deliveries in Caribbean, SE USA, and a west to east Atlantic crossing (St Marrten to Barcelona). No offshore experience on M/Y's but have bareboat chartered a Westcoast 64 a couple times out of Vancouver and very familiar with M/Y systems and boat handling. Excellent navigator, familiar with deisel mechanics (long haul trucking for many years) and somewhat familiar with electrical systems. Very creative when a jury-rig is called for.
Cheers ... Brian.
780 910 9119
Old 24-08-2015, 09:19   #6

David ... You sent me private message. I have responded to it twice but for some reason cannot find a copy of my messages. As such I'm not sure you received it and am responding through this post. This is to confirm that I am interested in joining your crew and waiting to hear from you (following Sept 28). Cheers ... Brian.
Old 28-08-2015, 12:25   #7

Hi,

Thanks for replying. I appreciate the offer but we have the crew sorted out for this particular trip. I will keep you in mind in the future if you are still interested.

Kindest Regards

David King
Old 29-08-2015, 07:40   #8

Boat: Endeavour 35.

Thanks for the update. Have a safe trip. Here is my # 360-431-8482. Let me know if you need help coming back. LEE SIMMONS