Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2011, 07:31   #31

Re: Mexico to South Pacific

Hey Gravel,

Yes, we keep in touch.

I'm on my way to Panama anyway, by the end of the month, so quite close to Mexico, to wink at a captain or two. Should have trimmed my chest hair...
Old 09-09-2011, 12:22   #32

When are you planning to depart? in general?
Old 09-09-2011, 12:44   #33

Gravel,

Seriously, you need experienced crew. Things usually go bad in a stepwise progression. I've been sailing for 30 years both on Lake Michigan ( don't laugh at that Lake ) and many times bareboat in the Bahamas. I've also sailed the San Juans and Vancouver Islands where theres the greatest wind over tide in the Northern Hemisphere.
I'm a exhausted ER physician who's eager to get out of the hospital and enjoy life. I have the best funny stories ever BTW! Let me know if you're just looking for Sheilas too, Mate!
Old 09-09-2011, 16:00   #34

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel View Post
Hello All...

There is one other crew member at this stage, a 60ish Married fella who I met a few years ago. One of my Mum's friends. Met him only for about 2 weeks, he has no sailing experience but lots of enthusiasm.

My yacht is a 1977 CSY44, currently on the hardstand awaiting my return. She is a good solid boat that I only purchased early this year.

As you can see, no Blue water experience as yet . But that is certainly going to change.
Cheers
Gravel
Is this a good solid boat that you have actually sailed? Sometimes - not always, mind you, but sometimes - a seller doesn't tell a prospective buyer everything he knows about his boat, and sometimes the seller doesn't even know what he should about his boat. So your boat may not be up to the task just yet, you might want to putt around Mexico for a season to learn its little quirks... Particularly as so far no one on board seems to have any sailing experience. It will be the sails and the knowledge of what to do with them that gets you home - it's just too far and too expensive to motor...
What corner of Mexico is the boat in?

Michael
Old 09-09-2011, 16:07   #35
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

captain hunter--- where are you looking to sail? i will transit canal and do caribean circumnav after mazatlan. always need or want crew.....i am exhausted er rn-- did triage for loong time, etc...many years. i got out, tho and am on the mend..yes, there IS life after emergency...
pix of me n boat somewhere in cf.....
gravel, come on over to mazatlan
Old 09-09-2011, 16:14   #36

[QUOTE=svcambria;771333]Is this a good solid boat that you have actually sailed? Sometimes - not always, mind you, but sometimes - a seller doesn't tell a prospective buyer everything he knows about his boat, and sometimes the seller doesn't even know what he should about his boat. So your boat may not be up to the task just yet, you might want to putt around Mexico for a season to learn its little quirks... Particularly as so far no one on board seems to have any sailing experience. It will be the sails and the knowledge of what to do with them that gets you home - it's just too far and too expensive to motor...
What corner of Mexico is the boat in?

Thanks, Michael! It would be very prudent to take an area Skipper's Course on a local 40 footer. My wife and I got our Captains papers in Vancouver many years ago. For some reason, I think Gravel's much saltier than he's letting on. I know what emergemcy gear a Pacific trip might require, but those are crew questions. Once he's selected a crew.

Captain Hunter
Old 09-09-2011, 16:20   #37

Hi,

When do you want to travel. I rather enjoy sailing near the hurricaine season, because the waves are so much more lively. Tell mr more about yourself. I'm trying to make life magic again. Sailing at night with the stern light on does that for me!

Captain Hunter
Old 09-09-2011, 19:30   #38

Boat: CSY44 Walkover

Hi All, and thank's for your concerns
To answer some of the above questions,
Yes, I have sailed the boat but only for a very short sea trial.
Yes, there are somethings needing attention before she is ready for the trip, Lower shrouds and tangs, Through hulls servivcing, Rudder removal and repair. Basically a very solid boat, well maintained by her previous owners of 13 years. (Thanks Fred, Kath).
I do know how to sail, but never any Blue water, have been overnight but that was a life time ago.
No not just looking for Women crew (do have one coming along already and she has more experience than I by far :-)).
I am looking to depart late La Paz, March early April, I am confident that myself and crew will have decided by then that we are up to it. I'd like an earlier start and more prep but am working till Xmas
I've had experienced people express interest in getting onboard and will be keeping in touch. One maybe 2.
Many people have crossed safely with very little gear but I don't intend joining them, I will have new life raft, Storm anchor, Ropes, Lifelines, windvane, Epirbs, GPS and charts and I hope enough common sense to to know when to use what, and have safe trip. But also lots of fun.
I do lok forward to catching up with some of you on the way.
May see you in further down the coast somewhere Zeehag

Cheers
Gravel
Old 09-09-2011, 19:42   #39
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

coool--i think i may be here until march....but in the anchorage instead of marina, methinks....

Tags
Mexico, south pacific