Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2014, 01:47   #1

Boat: OPB while I search for mine
Looking to crew around the southeastern US - anytime, short notice OK.

Hi everyone,

I'm an easygoing 34 year old guy with some sailing experience both on the Great Lakes as a teen and more recently around Georgia. I have my ASA 101 and am working on my 103. I'm looking to get some experience offshore, add to my coastal sailing time, and learn some of the ins and outs of maintaining and working on sailboats before joining the ranks of liveaboard cruisers myself.

So, I'd love to crew for you on any trips or passages, and I'm equally happy to spend time helping with whatever boatwork or maintenance you may need a hand with as well. I'm reasonably handy, able to follow directions well, and don't mind slogging away at brightwork or the like. I can also steer a course or take a watch as needed. I'm a quick learner, so other than with knots (currently the bane of my existence , but I do have my bowline and clove hitch down at least!) you'll rarely have to show me something twice.

As for a bit more about me personally, I'm a 34 year old writer/editor and photographer. I've done quite a bit of traveling so I've learned to get along pretty well with most people. I try to get through life with a philosophy of 'live and let live', so unless you're Captain Bligh's evil stepmother we'll probably get along fine. I worked my way through school as an EMT in the mountains and an Emergency Room tech, so I'm able to handle most any medical issues that may come up on a trip, anything from bites to bruises, sprains to suturing, but I'd really prefer not to need those skills if we can help it! I'm a non-smoker, am not prone to seasickness, and steer well clear of street pharmacists and their products. I do have my own weather gear">foul weather gear and PFD/harness.

My long term plan is a boat and liveaboard cruising, but since I'm not there yet I'm eager to build my skills and learn from the people who know the things I don't. I'm pretty well read when it comes to sailing and cruising, but I know well enough that there's a big difference between well-read and experienced, so I'm hoping to gain more of the latter.

My schedule is generally open and short notice usually isn't a problem. I live in Atlanta, but I'm willing to travel to meet the boat throughout the southeast (and possibly beyond for the right experience). I also have a current passport, so international trips are fine as well. If you're looking for someone to crew for you around the southeast for a couple of days, a couple of weeks, or perhaps even longer please keep me in mind.

You can reach me by e-mail at dsdphoto at gmail, dsdphotography on skype, or PM me here and I'll pass on my cell. Thanks in advance!

Fair winds and following seas,

Darren
Old 12-10-2014, 22:51   #2

Boat: Perry 59' 2006
Send a message via Skype™ to Is05land
Re: Looking to crew around the southeastern US - anytime, short notice OK.

Check out my listing- Any interest in crewing from Annapolis to Charleston?
Old 14-10-2014, 09:05   #3

I may be delivering an Island Packet 42 Norfolk to St. Thomas early November. If interested contact me with a brief summary of your experience, contact numbers, and contacts of a few people you've sailed with, for references. Capnjack.morton@gmail.com
Old 06-11-2014, 18:11   #4

Hello,

My name is Carlos and in Puerto Rico and have a 2005, fully equipped 47' catamaran ready to go to Jamaica, Belize, Guatemala then to Panama. Plan on leaving Panama in Feb.-Mar. 2015 to Hawaii, then to Vancouver for the summer then south along west coast to Mexico, Galapagos then to So. Pacific. Looking for crew for all or part.
If interested contact me @ c.rios@documentcontrol.com for more details.

Best Regards,

Carlos
Old 06-11-2014, 19:21   #5

Would you be interested in a trip from Annapolis to St Vincent in the Caribbean? Would have to be in Annapolis Nov 11 for a tentative departure on Thurs. Boat is a 2013 Jeanneau well equipped. You would have to get yourself to the boat and back. On board expenses paid. I see you are in ATL which is where I would be traveling from, also. Please let me know asap as I want to have my crew sorted out by the end of the day tomorrow. You can PM me. Thanks, Judy
Old 06-11-2014, 23:41   #6

Boat: OPB while I search for mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judyfood View Post
Would you be interested in a trip from Annapolis to St Vincent in the Caribbean? Would have to be in Annapolis Nov 11 for a tentative departure on Thurs. Boat is a 2013 Jeanneau well equipped. You would have to get yourself to the boat and back. On board expenses paid. I see you are in ATL which is where I would be traveling from, also. Please let me know asap as I want to have my crew sorted out by the end of the day tomorrow. You can PM me. Thanks, Judy
Hi Judy,

I just PM'd you. I'm definitely interested, but unfortunately I'm tied up in moving a friend through the 18th. If for any reasons your dates should change I can be in Annapolis the 19th or 20th depending on flights, and I'd love to sign on. If not, sorry I'm not able to help this time but I'd appreciate you keeping me in mind for any future trips!

Thanks for considering me and reaching out,
Darren

Tags
crew