Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2011, 06:41   #1

Boat: 40' Northstar 80/20 S&S ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to sailinlee
Just Sailed into the USVIs and Open to Suggestion

Hey there,

I just sailed into the USVIs and am thinking about what I'm going to do next. So I'm just sitting around on my ketch debating. While I'm debating if anyone was interested in cruising around the islands let me know. (I don't do it for free though.)

My debate is:
1. Find a INTERESTING job and be responsible.
2. Take people on the boat and make that my job (again). Believe it or not, that isn't always a good time for the captain and boat, that's why I charge money.
3. Find a hurricane hole and put the boat up for the summer and go take care of business stuff that needs to be done.
4. Write a book.
5. Start a cruiser newspaper/magazine.
6. Buy some new sandals.

I've been a charter captain off and on for about 10 years in the Med and North America. Krasna is an older heavy cruising ketch, safe and comfortable as compared to fast and spartan. I was a photojournalist for 20 years covering social unrest in North/South America and Europe before captaining. Also do solar installations, school teacher, newspaper publishing, boat fixer and a few other things. Again I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any interesting ideas for work in the Caribbean.

Lee
Old 04-06-2011, 08:01   #2

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa
Re: Just sailed into the USVIs and open to suggestion

Lee, after last years hurricane season I vote for # 3 unless you head south pretty soon..... I would recommend heading to Annegada to think about it.... I assure you it is a fantastic place to go and do exactly that... but don't take too long.. hurricane season last year in the Caribbean was scary.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:25   #3

Boat: Looking

Anegada not exactly the best spot during the season, gets hit hard when storms are in the area.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:08   #4

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingaway221 View Post
Lee, after last years hurricane season I vote for # 3 unless you head south pretty soon..... I would recommend heading to Annegada to think about it.... I assure you it is a fantastic place to go and do exactly that... but don't take too long.. hurricane season last year in the Caribbean was scary.

Woops .. didn't meant o go stay there for the season.. just a good place to go visit and think!....
Old 04-06-2011, 11:22   #5

Boat: Boatless

We just left USVI and we are now in Bonaire, Curacao and Cartagena for hurricane season. Staying north after July 1st is just a crap shoot.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."