Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2013, 20:52   #1

Hawaii to remote South Pacific

I am currently anchored off Hilo in the big island of Hawaii. I will be here until next spring, after cyclone season, when it is safe to head down to the South Pacific. The route I am planning on taking will emphasize the less visited island groups and will avoid the beaten path or "milk run." There still are a handful of islands that through a combination of luck and circumstance have managed to retain some semblance of a traditional culture and not be completely dominated by westernization. These destinations do not have airports, have infrequent supply ship visits and experience few other yachts. I have been to one in 2008 in the Santa Cruz group in the eastern Solomons and had a fantastic experience. I have done a lot of research and my guess is that there are less than five other islands left with traditional Polynesian or Micronesian culture with the majority being between Micronesia and the Solomons. Of course, everywhere has had an impact, but it isn't all completely gone yet... In the past year I managed a southern route through the south pacific visiting places like Pitcairn and the Australs but despite their physical remoteness, the culture and mindset of the inhabitants was quite familiar.
I was thinking of going due south to Tokelau and threading a course through Kiribati and Tuvalu first before targeting the "remote" list. Final destination could be a loop back up to the Marshalls or a dash across the top of PNG towards SE Asia. One idea I had was to head down to western Australia. There is some flexibility and there would be an opportunity to get off sooner somewhere in Melanesia if it was needed.

I am looking for one crew person to join me. One of the reasons why these islands get so few yachts is because they are far out of the way and are not the easiest destinations to deal with. No anchorages, tough passes, etc.. I normally single hand but it would be far easier to have someone on board to help out. For example, an island that doesn't have an anchorage could be dealt with by standing off and taking turns going ashore - something I couldn't do alone. Sailing experience is not necessary but an adventurous, low maintenance and minimalist attitude is a must. The boat is a 35ft mono hull with a minimalist (AKA purist) approach to cruising. Boat and skipper have logged over 50,000 miles in the last six years which includes a circumnavigation (below Africa and Panama canal). Share expenses, including the cost of a couple pieces of safety gear for the trip (contact me for details).

You need to be in Hawaii or are going to be soon so that you can come and check things out. This is why I am posting this early. My experience has taught me that there is no substitute for this! No crew decisions or guarantees can be made over email. This isn't an advert for just a simple ten or twelve day passage where if things don't work out, you can just be patient and ride it out. In fact, there would be inter island cruising within Hawaii first as it is pretty clear, or should be, that it isn't wise to head off on a multi week passage to a destination that doesn't have an airport if you aren't sure that you are up for the trip!
Old 16-01-2013, 11:59   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 38' cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to banyandah
Re: Hawaii to remote South Pacific

How Cool is that.
We did the very same thing back in 1981, sailed off to do a DXpedition to Kingman Reef, a pile of clam shells mid pacific. You can anchor there, but it's quite deep right up the reef, then 40 miles to Palmyra, lovely lagoon. There's a story written up somewhere round here, and a photo I'll dig out. Good luck in your hunt,

Old 16-01-2013, 19:16   #3

I tried to stop in Palmyra on my last passage here to Hawaii. They denied me entrance because I didn't have a permit. I asked for a few hours in the lagoon to dive and check the rudder and top off the water tanks but they wouldn't budge. They claimed they just spent 2.8 million on a rat eradication program! When I asked about Kingman, they said same deal, to stay away... I don't know if you can go there anymore. The permit process looks like a pain for Palmyra. I am not that interested in places like this anyway because there is no culture...
Old 16-01-2013, 15:42   #4

This sounds like quite a trip. The route very appealing. What month were you thinking of departing?
Old 16-01-2013, 19:17   #5

Departure month is flexible. Probably the earliest is June.
Old 23-01-2013, 10:35   #6

I am 47y/o, currently on Maui and looking for a sail to south Pacific. I have sailing and culinary experience; laid back; good natured. I am very interested in unfamiliar cultures (have visited Andaman Sea, Thailand, Morocco, Scotland, et Al). I would be very interested to meet at your convenience, or I could email you a resume to start.

Thanks and safe voyages!

Jake Myer
JLMyer at hot mail. com
808-658-1138
Old 26-01-2013, 16:41   #7

Thanks for your interest Jake. Yes, send me your info at lucidsalt at "the google service"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardog Jake View Post
I am 47y/o, currently on Maui and looking for a sail to south Pacific. I have sailing and culinary experience; laid back; good natured. I am very interested in unfamiliar cultures (have visited Andaman Sea, Thailand, Morocco, Scotland, et Al). I would be very interested to meet at your convenience, or I could email you a resume to start.

Thanks and safe voyages!

Jake Myer
JLMyer at hot mail. com
808-658-1138
Old 23-01-2013, 16:53   #8

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

sounds like fun, wish I could go.
Old 26-01-2013, 06:15   #9

when are you thinking of leaving?
PM me thebrenmeister AT gmail DOT com
Old 26-01-2013, 16:44   #10

With desired destinations in both the north and south pacific, I can juggle the different seasons to my advantage. Basically, I can leave Hawaii at any time of the year and just adjust my route accordingly.

The earliest that I would leave is June of 2013 but this is being pretty optimistic that it would all come together (boat projects, financing, finding crew) so we will have to see. June is good because hurricane season is over south of the equator and hasn't ramped into high gear north of the equator when departing Hawaii. This would also allow more time in the season before heading onwards. I have a few different ideas for routes that would take up a bit more than a simple post would allow. Best bet is to contact me down the line if you are headed out this way or PM me if you are interested in my tentative itineraries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrennan View Post
when are you thinking of leaving?
PM me thebrenmeister AT gmail DOT com
Old 18-02-2013, 22:11   #11

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Ficka '20

Hello

I too am interested in being crew on your voyage. Last july I sailed solo from Vancouver Canada to Hilo in a Flicka 20. Including 10 days becalmed it took 44 days. So as you can imagine, I'm pretty competent at minimalism. Had I left earlier I would have continued to Tahiti, but as it was late in season ten days later sailed across (again solo) to San Diego.

I visited Tonga & Samoa twice in the early 80's and have a taste for the traditional South Sea cultures. Sailing where there are few others is very appealing.

I am currently in Vancouver Canada, but if after a few emails, and perhaps a phone call I'd be more than willing to fly to Hilo to meet. I'll buy us a round at 'Cronnies'.
Old 22-02-2013, 13:44   #12

That small of a boat is quite an accomplishment. I wouldn't do it... I need standing headroom at a minimum.

Cronnies is a bit too sports bar oriented for my taste. How about the Hilo Tavern?

Let me know if you head out this way. I wouldn't want you to make a special trip.
Old 20-03-2013, 21:52   #13

That is it for my time in Hilo. I am off at the end of the month. If you want to hop on as I thread my way to Hanalei, Kauai, send me a pm with specifics of when and where you will be in Hawaii. Cheers!
Old 21-03-2013, 01:05   #14

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidsalt View Post
That is it for my time in Hilo. I am off at the end of the month. If you want to hop on as I thread my way to Hanalei, Kauai, send me a pm with specifics of when and where you will be in Hawaii. Cheers!
A friend of mine (CF member known as Whitehawk) is in Kauai (Nawiliwili Harbour). He has just bought a boat that he will be fixing up. Perhaps you would like to meet and have a chat with him. I have emailed him a link to your thread. Fair winds.
Old 22-03-2013, 15:49   #15

Sounds good. What is the name of his boat? You can PM me. I should be in Kauai as the season opens. I talked to the harbor agent there and they don't issue permits for Hanalei until May 15.

Tags
hawaii, remote