Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2011, 16:57   #1

From Puerto Vallarta to Bali Early 2012 - A Few Questions :)

Hello. Thanks in advance for reading and sharing your thoughts with me if possible.

I will soon be in Mexico for some time. My next destination is Bali.

I could fly there although for the last couple years I've wanted to sail that stretch from P.Vallarta. I would give myself January to find a ride at the marina there, which is early but in good timing from what I know. The`dry surfing season` in Indonesia starts around May. I would like to be there by April-ish.

I am 31, fit (13 years regular surfing) and cannot wait to learn how to sail, keen to share funds and learn along the way.

How long do you think it could take me to reach Asia, considering it might take a few rides to get there? By plane is around $1200 from Vancouver or L.A. I believe that is also a fair budget for the sailing (..?), although im aware anything can happen from point A to point B.

The tricky part is my main goal is to not spend too much of my funds until I reach Indonesia so I can spend the most amount of time there possible.

Sure im a beginner, but we all started somewhere, and the stretch im looking for would give me skills. I travel light, tidy, respectful, compassionate, energetic.

Thanks
Old 28-10-2011, 18:53   #2

Boat: looking
Re: From Puerto Vallarta to Bali Early 2012 - A Few Questions :)

A couple of thoughts; if you're planning to bring a board, you might want to give the dimensions & weight, and; You'll probably find that most cruisers won't be leaving Mexico until after late March/early and many will want to take their time cruising across the South Pacific. As an example, we're leaving Maz in Late March & planning to arrive in The Southern Philippines in Sep/Oct of 2012.
Old 29-10-2011, 10:35   #3

Re: From Puerto Vallarta to Bali Early 2012 - A Few Questions :)

Yeah..I might be too early to catch a ride and would miss the time frame I need to catch in Asia, if I left Feb.-March. That is one thing I also thought, that not many would really want to just hurry through the Pacific.

But, I'd give myself about 2 months to get there from February. If somehow someone had a lead, let me know.

Otherwise I will fly there and will do the Pacific next year or elsewhere.

Tags
puerto vallarta