Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2011, 10:58   #1

Free Spirit ( New to Forum ) Seeking Advice

Hi to all!

I am new to this forum and am seeking advice. I am a young person with what seems like an old soul. I live in the land-locked state of Kentucky (US) and am miserable. My heart belongs to the ocean and adventure and I am wanting so badly to travel. I have been out of the country many times and the Caribbean is my absolute favorite area to visit. I've been on ships before but have no experience operating boats. My mind is like a sponge and I'm so willing to learn! I would love to be a part of a crew and learn how to operate a boat but I honestly don't know where to start. There aren't really any available sailing classes where I'm located and having been out of high school just about 2 years now, I'm saving my pennies working as a saleswoman at a car lot... :/ Ideally, I would like to own a boat myself (in the future) and live aboard. I've read that is an affordable option for living in the Caribbean. I am a solar-powered person, a dreamer and a free-spirit. Kentucky is not where I want to be and I'm all-ears on how to escape.

Ideas?

Thanks! Have a beautiful day!
Melinda
Old 20-03-2011, 11:07   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Free-spirit, new to forum, seeking advice

Hmmmmmmm.... definitely trying to be noticed... don't fergit the 'Moonshine'...
Welcome to CF... be interesting to see which thread the 'Mod's' will kill....lmao

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 20-03-2011, 11:17   #3

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
Re: Free-spirit, new to forum, seeking advice

Hi Melinda,

Welcome to CF ! I think you'll find that this is a friendly and knowledgeable crowd and that most of us are housebroken

Look around in the different subforums and feel free to ask your questions. We all started knowing nothing at some point.

-Sven
Old 20-03-2011, 11:29   #4

Howdy Melinda from another Kentuckian. Which part of the state do you live in. I'm in eastern KY and just retired. Hang onto your dream and one day you'll be where you want. A lotta nice folk on this forum. Welcome!!

Look out guys, Kentucky is world famous for fast women and pretty horses.

Old 20-03-2011, 12:02   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Melinda

Welcome aboard!! Here's a good place to start. > Women Afloat - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Old 20-03-2011, 12:04   #6

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Welcome, Melinda... I echo Bill's advice above... hang on to the dream and plan your life around it. If you've gained some experience in the retail car business in Kentucky, check out similar businesses in Southern Florida of which there are many and you might just land a position in a geographic area that suits getting in some sea time, at least on weekends. If you have an understanding boss, you might also get some time off to help with deliveries to and from the islands which is great experience on both sail and power. Try for a certification and keep a log of your trips even just day sailing but preferably under a licensed capt. Good Luck and welcome to CF... Capt Phil
Old 20-03-2011, 12:11   #7

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50

I'm a KY ex-pat (just east of Louisville) and had a similar craving to escape... and am glad I did. There is some regatta activity on the river, but it's pretty limited... though you can probably pick up the basics without having to first carve out a new life in a new place. I don't personally know this group, but their website says all the right things; you might find some educational resources at the Louisville Sailing Club.

From experience: if you define an audacious mission, then everything else has a context that not only propels you forward but gets other people intrigued. How about sailing down the Ohio and Mississippi, through the Gulf, and up the ICW to some suitable launch point for a Caribbean adventure?

-Steve (author of Reaching Escape Velocity)
Old 20-03-2011, 12:55   #8

Boat: MacGregor65- s/vSunsets

I firmly believe that for some of us, nothing can be more fulfililng that being on the water and living and learning boat life.

If you want to experiment with water sailing">blue water sailing, try and get a gig as crew on one of the Carib1500 rallies. The Atlantic Cup starts in May. www.carib1500.com for more info.
Old 20-03-2011, 13:33   #9

Boat: Cape Dory

Hey Melinda -
There are enough old guys with young (or immature) souls that it ought not be too difficult for a young woman to find a way to spend some time on the water with someone tolerable . . . (i dunno about housebroken Sven -)). My advice: forget saving and planning -- go do it -- if you want to sail (or do anything else for that matter) get yourself to where folks are doing it and start doing it. Life is too short for much planning.

Welcome.
Old 20-03-2011, 13:36   #10

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36

I don't know what part of the state you are in, but Lighthouse Landing on Kentucky lake has ASA sailing classes. That would be a good place to start.
Old 20-03-2011, 14:48   #11

Hey guys, Thanks for all your replies! Unfortunately, I don't have a computer and am only able to access this forum on my phone, so it takes me awhile to write. I'm also just learning how to work this site... To my fellow Kentuckians: I just recently moved from Versailles (smack dab in the middle of Frankfort and Lexington) to Pikeville. Bob, I'm sure you're familiar with this area, considering it's eastern KY. I'll be honest, I hate it here. I feel as if I'm trapped.* I taught dance in Versailles/Lexington for 3 years and have worked retail from the time I was 14. As far as selling cars, I've done that now for 1.5 months and have sold just 13...* I'm only 19 and although I want to get out of this pothole, it's difficult to do so. My family is very negative and persist I need to "get ahold of reality". Mambo, I'd love to get up and leave without any plans but that's hard to do (especially for me). I'm young and most people use my age as an excuse to not take me seriously.* I am very interested in your suggestion, Steve. However! At the moment, I'm boatless and sailing the Mississippi is right now, impossible.* I guess, I have this huge dream with no real grasp on how to achieve it. :/ -Melinda
Old 20-03-2011, 14:58   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Free-spirit, new to forum, seeking advice

Mambo... was that a polite way of of saying there's a lot of 'Dirty ole men' solo sailors out here....
And leave out the 'If the cap fits...' quotes please.....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 20-03-2011, 16:07   #13

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36

Melinda, it can be done. I bought a $610 sailboat, and sailed from Evansville IN down the Ohio to the Mississippi, down to New Orleans and over to Florida. See my blog for details. The important thing is to keep moving forward. All plans and actions have to fit the dream.
Old 20-03-2011, 16:15   #14

Hey Melissa, I know Pikeville well. It's just south of me. I live in the Ashland area. How in the world did you wind up in Pikeville from Versailles. Let's see, 64 east to 23 south. You made a wrong turn. If you'd stayed on 64 you would have wound up at the ocean in Virginia Beach. Lots of sailors around there and more boats there for sure. Good luck.

Old 20-03-2011, 18:05   #15

Bill,

It's really simple. My savings was mis-used by a trusted member of my family (mother) so I left home to re-start my escape fund and live with my grandparents. I found a job and a new bank and now I've saved up about 3k... Sucky, but I can't save to leave KY if I'm paying rent in Lexington. The name's Melinda, btw.

Ready2Go:

I can't access your blog w/o a link. I only have my handy-dandy phone and about 2 bars of service. Lol... Makes replying difficult and loading webpages even more tough. Major bummer.

I appreciate everyone's input!