Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2008, 17:57   #1

Atlantic Rally for Cruisers/Transat Voyage

Hi,
Me and one other are looking for a passage across the Atlantic from the UK or almost anywhere in Europe towards the end of the year. This could be in the ARC or just a solo voyage.

Us -Well will be at the time (hopefully) graduates from UEA after 3 years at uni looking to go travelling round the world. Will hold experience of sailing around UK and RYA day skipper qualification. Both hard working, easy going blokes

PM or reply if you need crew for this passage or the possibility of going beyond?? Or if you have any advice or know of a skipper taking this on.

TYVM
Old 09-03-2008, 00:42   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I cannot vouch for Sailing Networks free Crew Match Service, but check them out:
Sailing Networks - Connecting Sailors Worldwide

Boats looking for crew:
Boats > Crew Needed, Crew Wanted on Sailing Networks

Crew looking for boats:
Crew > Crew Available on Sailing Networks

Other services, such as Crewseekers International: Yacht crew agency, yacht crew vacancy, sailing crew from Crewseekers , often charge a fee to sign up (as crew).

Old 09-03-2008, 01:29   #3
Armchair Bucketeer

I guess you have already had a look at YBW.com?

FWIW I reckon you are in with a good shout of their being folk who would appreciate the extra pairs of hands for this trip - the trick is to find them

If this was me.........I would research as much as possible about what the trip would involve, what sort of boat and experiance of Skipper you want to look for.........also gets yer name (and ambition) known a bit, nd maybe a foot in the door somewhere.......and ideally (for both parties) getting some seatime together before leaving - to make sure that both parties can spend time together onboard! as well as the hands on experiance -useful for both parties.

I would not be afraid of admitting a low experiance level, IMO as long as you have some experiance on a boat, can steer a bit AND appreciate that you have stuff to learn and are willing to do so.......Enthusiasm (quiet!) and Willingness go a long way..........then you would be my choice of EXTRA crew over someone with 12 million sea miles under their belt - having someone onboard to second guess you is not always a secret to happiness afloat

Being able (and willing!) to cook onboard would make someone a far more attractive crew member than a person who could use a Sextant or has sailed solo around Cape Horn!

One thing that may crop up is..........payment Some folk expect a "contribution" towards expenses - my attitude is that if the Skipper needs (or wants) the extra crew for a long voyage then he has a bl##dy cheek asking for money! of course all shoreside personal expenses and return / onward travel costs are your own - and IMO considered polite for crew to put their hand in their pocket(s) at least once for "a run ashore"..........but my attitude to crew not paying expenses is not shared by everyone, forewarned is forearmed!.......of course not to say you should not take up an offer with expenses, if it is the best on the table.

Best of luck!
Old 10-03-2008, 05:00   #4

Cheers for your advice David, and the links Gord... Been on crewseekers its a pretty good website, lots of boats looking for crew. Although it costs £100 to sign up for a year, which seems a lot but may be unavoidable.

We've been to uni together for the last 3 years so have spent quite a lot of time in close proximity so this shouldnt be a problem. We're off sailing at the beginning of June and should be doing the Day Skipper shortly after that. Then its to work to raise money for the trip although i'd quite like to get some more experience in over the summer, hopefully around the med. I've seen a few boats looking for crew around this time.

I've seen that almost all boats look for shared contribution towards food, this isn't a problem at all, and as for cooking etc i'm more than happy to do my fair share. If it can't be arranged to get on a boat before hand do you think its worth it to show up in Gran Canaria and hang around until an opportunity comes up? Obviously hanging around the harbour and bars (what a shame) talking to as many people as possible. Its also been mentioned that the best opportunity to get on a boat (for the A.R.C) is the south of France and Spain as many boats need crew to make the crossing over the gibraltar straights.

Once again all your ideas are appreciated

Cheers
Tom