Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2010, 14:13   #1

ICOM 802 SSB Ham / Email System

Hello,
I am selling my ICOM-802 SSB Ham radio and email system. The system was purchased in October of last year and lightly used for 6 months on a cruising sailboat before being removed and stored. During it's installation I sent hundreds of emails via Winlink and hours of voice comm. with ham nets in the states while crossing the Pacific with excellent reliability. This radio is the top of the line. The system was purchased from HF Radio Onboard this is "THE WORKS" system and it is all in perfect condition. All you would need to outfit your vessel with this equipment is a proper ground plane, power supply, and an antenna (insulated back-stay or whip)

What you get: Click for all Pictures
-M802 radio, (2) MB-75 flush mounting brackets
-AT140 automatic antenna tuner
-OPC-1147N tuner control/power cable (10 meters long)
-custom AT140 Double-shielded coax cable (10 meters long)
-coaxial cable line isolator and ferrite beads pre installed
-DSC Watch Antenna kit (whip antenna)
-SCS PactorII-usb modem upgraded to PactorIII
-Modem software, cable and support package

-All cables included (cables are terminated and ready to connect to M802)
-"Understanding Marine Single Sideband Radio" book/manual

This system was purchased for around $5,000 including taxes and shipping. I will consider all reasonable offers of this lightly used and excellent system. I would prefer this exuipment to be picked up (Chapel Hill, NC) but I can ship it after receiving payment upon request.

Click here for a detailed photo gallery of the equipment. Not pictured is the paperwork, manuals, and DSC whip antenna. I will post them soon. Here are some of the pics.

Old 18-10-2010, 07:11   #2

Boat: Endeavour,A Plan, E37, BlueAyes
SSB

How much are you asking?
Old 18-10-2010, 08:01   #3

My apologies, I said I paid around 5k. I checked my records and found that I actually paid $4,300 plus shipping.

I am asking 3,300 for this high quality lightly used equipment. This is top of the line!
------------
This ICOM 802 is opened to all Ham bands which costs more than the base model closed 802 SSB set up for use with Sailmail. The radio was opened upon request when I purchased it.

The Pactor is upgraded with Pactor III software and includes the cables for USB attachment to your computer. It also connects to the radio and auto frequency updates when you are using email software on the computer. If you've ever used SSB for email this makes it very easy to use especially since all the correct frequency offsets are already done for you. One less thing to screw up.

The AT-140 is already set up with the cables and line isolators that have been shown to make this system work well time and time again.

You may be able to find individual components online for around the same price but setting up a radio email system in a boat is notoriously difficult to do right the first time and this setup was custom tuned and tested by the best in the business, HF Radio Onboard, who is also the distributor of ICOM radio equipment to the entire US (check for yourself).

Thanks for your interest.
-Alan
Old 18-10-2010, 09:48   #4

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Stewart View Post
This ICOM 802 is opened to all Ham bands which costs more than the base model closed 802 SSB set up for use with Sailmail. The radio was opened upon request when I purchased it.
You can open any 802 by holding down 2 - MODE - TX and turning on the power. That isn't a big deal.
Old 19-10-2010, 07:38   #5

Auspicious,
Thank you, shows how much of the manual I read. :/
But it's still a great system!
Any reasonable offers will be considered.
-Alan
Old 19-10-2010, 09:27   #6
RDW

Boat: Morris 1996 46' Lexington
Why are you getting rid of this excellent equipment?
I have the same set up on my boat but I do not spend much time on my boat and have not worked with it much.
Could I set up your equipment at my home to learn on?
rdw
Old 19-10-2010, 09:59   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Hi: Did you program an MMSI number into it? I think these can have only one change of MMSI number, unless someone has hacked this irritating limitation.
Old 19-10-2010, 11:23   #8

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Stewart View Post
Auspicious,
Thank you, shows how much of the manual I read. :/
But it's still a great system!
It isn't in the manual, but is readily available. I just get cranky about installers who charge for opening up the radio.

It is a great system.
Old 19-10-2010, 15:26   #9

I'm interested in the Pactor-contoller if you're willing to sell separately.
Thanks for your time.

Michael
Old 19-10-2010, 18:46   #10

RDW, I left the boat I was on in Australia and since I contributed the radio, I took it back with me. I don't have a boat of my own and I'm not much into ham as a hobby so I don't need it. I suppose you could set it up in your home to practice on but I don't think you will have similar experiences on the two systems since their ground planes and antennas will no doubt be very different. I'm not an expert on it though. Certainly the radio will "work" just fine at home as it would set up properly on a boat. Make me an offer.

Dockhead, I did/do have an MMSI number but I don't know if it was ever "programmed" into the radio. I will check on this for sure and get back to you.

Michael, I am fine splitting up the system since all the components are in perfect condition. Asking price on the modem would be $1100 even. The modem cables are already terminated and ready for an ICOM 802 radio so if you have that, then it makes the most sense since a new one set up for 802 is $1500.

-Alan
Old 20-10-2010, 06:09   #11

The radio is SOLD SOLD SOLD.
Thank you
Old 20-10-2010, 17:03   #12
RDW

Boat: Morris 1996 46' Lexington
Do you mind saying how much you sold it for?
rdw
Old 12-12-2010, 17:41   #13

Boat: panda 40
hi is the modem still around? how about the wires to hook up to the i com 802 and the software?