Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2020, 04:22   #76

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Re: Solar and Lucia 40

Quote:
...inexpensive ($170) and pretty durable...
You are a lucky guy getting them for 170US$. In my area they are asking 300 Euro (350US$, plus shipping) for one of the Sunpower SPR-E-Flex 110 Panels...

A riggid one with 130W sells here for 80€... though not "marine grade"...
Old 19-10-2020, 08:42   #77
Sponsoring Vendor

looks like a super tidy install
Old 21-08-2022, 19:50   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by A TEN View Post
No worries CatNewBee, thanks for the question! Yes, I’ve read all the negative reviews about flexible panels, but it seems that those comments are all from information gathered several years ago. Panels, like computer memory, advance quite fast and the sunpower flexible panels get great reviews: as efficient as rigid (24%), one of only several that are marine grade, 4 vs 32 pounds, inexpensive ($170) and pretty durable. Of course, the proof is in the pudding and I will be keeping a weary eye out as to their longevity. As far as the structure goes, yes it’s strong: I think FP should commission my welder for the bimini supports - the Lucia should have come from the factory with something to support such a flimsy overhang! I’ve already been through 40g50 winds and nary a thing was out of place. I’m on the hard right now, getting bottom paint and other work and the 880w is more than enough to run my modest electrical needs (although October in RI is getting a bit chilly and I already miss the Dometics🤓!). Heading to the VI at the end of the month to get the chill out of my bones. I expect the solar will perform even better down there.
Hi ATEN

How are you finding your flexible panels

I’m looking at Solar options on a new Isla and keen to hear how it’s all going.

Thanks
rod.waski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2022, 21:10   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falbala60 View Post
Terbonium,
Thank you for your design, debugging and pictures for solar.
I am shy to ask you more.
To "return" let me know anything I can do for a complex 3D design (SolidWorks) or 3D printing (Markforged in nylon plus carbon fiber) that can replace a broken part stronger than the original.

THIS OFFER IS FOR ALL ON THIS FORUM (who contribute ha ha ) !!!

1 - I tried to find a Canadian distr. for SunPower but seems NO ONE ! I found some on the way Mtl>FL but they all answered me : "We don't have DC panels in stock and will not order them".
Where did you got yours ?

2 - From your pictures, the SS support on the bimini top is straight with no curvature to match the main rail... are the post the same height because the bimini top is also straight ?

3 - Is the angled bracket from the bimini top to the bimini column is from FP (they realized it is TOO WEAK) or your design ? If from FP I will not design one similar.

I know you are busy, no urgency to answer ... delivery September in La Rochelle.
Best regards

Hi Falbala

How did you go with your solar install for the Lucia , I know this is some time ago. Did you find someone to install after market in La Rochelle. I have a new build Isla coming soon and looking at options.

Thank you
rod.waski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 13:17   #80

Boat: FP Lucia 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod.waski View Post
Hi ATEN

How are you finding your flexible panels

I’m looking at Solar options on a new Isla and keen to hear how it’s all going.

Thanks
Hey Rod, Congrats on the purchase of a new Isla! I’m almost three years into ownership of a 2020 Lucia (last year of mfg) and still quite pleased with the vessel. However, the broker still owes me $10k for warranty reimbursement which is unfortunately all to common with most foreign boat manufacturers. Anyway, concerning my 8 Sunpower 110w flex panels, they are holding up and performing well. On a high demand and full sun day, I’ll see 3kWh. The only thing I’ve had to do is replace a few corroded rivets. Very satisfied with the panels. s/v A Ten
A TEN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar