Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2022, 10:59   #1

Boat: 2016 Fountain Pajot SABA 50
sling plan for Saba 50 for haul out

Where do I find the sling information and blocking locations for hauling out my Saba 50?

Thanks

Chad
recurveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2022, 08:57   #2

Re: sling plan for Saba 50 for haul out

Here is the page.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220927_092227.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	424.0 KB
ID:	265718  
Wishbone Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 14:03   #3

This is good to know. I assume this is at the location of the engine room bulkhead and the mast bulkhead? Would this probably be true with the Salina as well?
danno7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 15:57   #4

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

FYI: it’s the same for nearly every catamaran.

You must catch the main structural bulkhead the mast is supported on and the aft box beam.

That’s it. Holds true in 95% or more cases.

When blocking, it’s the same idea, but you want to try to spread the load out a bit so you don’t squish the core. But the main supports should be at the same spots as the lift, but hopefully spread out to avoid concentrating all the weight into 2 square inches of support
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 16:21   #5

Perfect, that is exactly what I was thinking, but was not sure. Now I am!
Old 16-03-2023, 18:16   #6

I have come across a Salina 48 without proper blocking support. How would I find the proper method to support a Salina 48 when off the sling?
Old 16-03-2023, 18:58   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno7 View Post
I have come across a Salina 48 without proper blocking support. How would I find the proper method to support a Salina 48 when off the sling?

identify the forward structural bulkhead that is part of the structural beam that holds the mast.

Identify the aft structural beam and bulkheads as well.

Just like in the picture above.

Those are the lift points. Those are also the main support points. From there, all you have to do is try to take it easy on the hull a little bit. Avoid point loading those areas. Try to spread the load out a little bit. Foam works very well for this.

You can add a couple extra support points as well. But always catch a bulkhead. Don’t put supports in the area between bulkheads.
Old 17-03-2023, 06:47   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
identify the forward structural bulkhead that is part of the structural beam that holds the mast.

You can add a couple extra support points as well. But always catch a bulkhead. Don’t put supports in the area between bulkheads.

When you say not to support it between the bulkheads, would that include the keel? No weight on the keel? I would think it could support the weight if the entire length of the keel is supported. Maybe not?
Old 17-03-2023, 07:03   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno7 View Post
When you say not to support it between the bulkheads, would that include the keel? No weight on the keel? I would think it could support the weight if the entire length of the keel is supported. Maybe not?
I have to leave that to the individual boat owners and designers. Most keels are able to support weight. Most.

I was speaking in general terms for all cats (and ones without keels) Those bulkheads are the right spots.

If the keels are structurally sound and the span some bulkheads, they would make fine support areas. This is most likely the case.
Old 17-03-2023, 07:08   #10

Thank you for your comments. I have seen photos of cats sitting on sand in low tide areas. They do that when they want to work on the bottom. I know the keels on some cats are sacrificial. If you hit something, they are designed to break off and not affect the integrity of the hulls. I would think that if a hull is sacrificial, it would probably not support the weight of the vessel. Probably. I need a solid answer, so back to the manufacturer.

Tags
haul out, Saba