Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2007, 17:03   #1

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Propane Stove, Tanks and Grill

Scott,

WRT: LP Gas connection

When I got my Belize it was equipped for butane, I wonder if that's what you have. If so, don't use that regulator for LP, I don't think they're compatible. Butane boils at 33degrees F and LP at -49degrees F, certainly they have different pressure characteristics. The good news is the jets on the appliances are compatible with both.

My fix:
I cut the rubber hose about 3 inches past the regulator then removed the other end from the copper tubing heading for the galley (that was a threaded connection). I took the galley-end of the hose and the NEW LP regulator I bought to a hydraulic shop. Those guys pressed a connector on the rubber hose that then screwed into my new LP regulator (less than $5 for the connector/labor). It works great.

Being my father's son, cheap, I installed the butane regulator on my gas grill at home just burn up the remaining butane the previous owner left on my boat! I did that install by cutting the rubber hose between the LP regulator and controls and used a double end ferrule and hose clamps to put the butane regulator on the hose. The low pressure side of those regulators are only one-half pound. Besides, if it leaked, it's outside.

Btw, I would suggest being very careful, LP leaks on a boat are very dangerous. Raw LP is heavier than air, it'll build up in your bilge and stay there until you ignite somehow. I installed an electric solenoid valve at the tank with a control in galley (both Xintex). We shut that control off after every use and let the fire burn out. I guess I got paranoid when a mechanic told me he witnessed a diesel engine that started breathing LP from a leak. It blew up, they couldn't shut it down. Might be urban legend, but it got my attention.

Good Luck!

-Marc-
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 17:36   #2
DtM

As part of the delivery the agent here organised for the gas to be converted to comply with Australian requirements. I am pretty sure that a cost for this was included in the price but it was worth it in that there was no issue on delivery.
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 10:39   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to pguillemin
propane

Larry

Propane tank are avaiable at Boyes propane service in Fort Lauderdale.
531 NE 8th street ( just South and west of Sears Town)
Will be glad to help you with the hose conversion.(we use hydraulic fitting company on SW 2nd street ,south of State road 84)
pguillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 04:13   #4

Boat: Alura 30
Hi Jeff & Marin.
Glad to see that you are enjoying your Mahe.If you could provide me with the number on the pan holder that would be nice.it is really a problem when coocking at sea.We are really enjoying our boat and are leaving Saturday for 3 weeks.
JC.
jean1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 20:18   #5

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Propane Tank Setup

Mahe's,

Purchased two 5 lbs propane tanks a regulator and gage.
It all has been working flawlessly for the last two months with a lot of use and we are still on the first 5 lb tank.
Used a brass barbed coupling and four small hose clams to make the connection.

Has anyone came up with a better setup with larger tanks ?
Just looking into the future for much longer cruising times.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6300152.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	429.4 KB
ID:	9297   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6300153.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	427.4 KB
ID:	9298  

Name:	P7040229.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	418.9 KB
ID:	9299  
Attached Images

Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:47   #6

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
Mark
Boy have you been busy. The problem you have with the gas is, if you move from the lockers, you will have to build new locker to meet code. We cruised for 2 months last year and had more than enough propane (didn't even touch the 2nd bottle).So with all these changes, when are you heading south?
Scott730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:10   #7

Community Sponsor

Scott,

Will post a bunch more upgrades tonight if time allows. We have a mother in the nursing home, so we will not be heading south this year. Will hook up with you when we can make the trip and gunk hole with you guys.

That is good news on the low propane use while cruising, so that will be one less thing on my honey do list.

Want to add 3 more 100 amp hour batteries under the Port state room bunk and tie right into the 12 volt panel in that location. What are your thoughts on this?

Mark
Old 09-03-2010, 05:25   #8

Boat: Switch 51 #10
Correct pan holder for Eno 3burner stove

Hi all, and Edmund,
I gave the wrong type of pan holder in my previous post. Here is the correct one:

Serre casseroles pour réchaud 3 feux encastrable - Eno - SC4330 - Accessoires de cuisson - BigShip Accastillage - Accessoires pour bateaux

Price 70 euro at Bigship.

By the way, I checked the European CE safety requirements. These actually demand some pan holder system.... It must be safe to cook when sailing.
Fountaine Pajot mounts them on their bigger ships, strangely enough not on the Mahe. Which has a CE qualification.
Jef & Marin, Netherlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 17:47   #9

Community Sponsor

Pot Holder

Mahes,

Here's the pot holder we use when cooking or making a tea on passages.
Most times we do not need it, but it's nice to be safe just in case.
They were given to us from a friend that no longer needed them.
Works on all three burners and just slides and tightens where needed.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P7020108.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	402.5 KB
ID:	17846  
Old 27-07-2011, 11:34   #10

Heres pic of our grill mount i bought stainless nex grill at costco fo $99.00 and bought coleman adapter so i could use either small propane canister or large. Next i plan on running propane line from storage to a spot right next to water wash down so i dont have to keep small tanks handy. Also grill mount is adjustable captain chair pedastool so i can chang height and direction and remove grill completely for cleaning at dock. I plan on having an interchangeable fish cleaning table that also mounts to pedastool conveinant to wash down hose.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1454654845.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	29972  
1rkghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2012, 05:59   #11

Community Sponsor

Re: Propane Stove, Tanks and Grill

Mahe’s

Just added a new bait/filet table to the stern for cleaning my fish and as a grill table.
Its 20"widex16"deep (51cm x 41cm)
The starboard stern seems like a good location, because the stern shower is just below the table Make’s it easy to use the hose for washing everything down.

Econo Mate Bait/filet Table

Heading to Nantucket and Martha’s Vineyard for a few weeks, so I want to put this new table to good use.

Have a couple of new Cuban Yo Yo’s for trolling for fish off the stern with.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cutting_Table1.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	407.4 KB
ID:	42731   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cutting_Table2.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	418.8 KB
ID:	42732  

Old 06-06-2013, 13:55   #12

Boat: Fountaine-Pajot Mahe 36
ENO stove/oven

All:

At the risk of reposting: Our 2008 Mahe 36 has an ENO range with 3 burner cooktop and oven. The cooktop works fine, but the oven burner seems to have low pressure (though burns with a clean, blue flame) and blows out if you attempt to go lower than 'high' setting on the control. Tried to get a propane burner tech in, but if you're not buying gas from the vendors they won't come. Any ideas other than replacing the unit? My wife is an excellent cook and wants to use it! We just sailed this boat up from Tortola and currently are liveaboards in Portsmouth, NH.

Regards, Bob
Seastream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 17:45   #13

Community Sponsor

Re: ENO stove/oven

It an ENO Classic built in oven. Put a meat probe in it to see if it comes upto temp.

www.ENO.fr

Their web site does not show any info on it. I have contacted ENO and if they give me a manual I will pass it on.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Eno classsic oven.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	62017  
Old 13-07-2013, 11:21   #14

Boat: Switch 51 #10

I have had the same problem of too low oven flames. It was caused by powdery stuff in the mixing jet.
First lift the oven floor out. Detach the U-shaped burner, I think it's mounted with a Phillips screw. You will then see the jet. If I remember correctly you can screw or pull it out, and then clean it. 5 minute job.
Please let us know whether this works. After this the flames should be around 1 cm high
Jef & Marin, Netherlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 05:42   #15

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jef & Marin, Netherlands View Post
I have had the same problem of too low oven flames. It was caused by powdery stuff in the mixing jet.
First lift the oven floor out. Detach the U-shaped burner, I think it's mounted with a Phillips screw. You will then see the jet. If I remember correctly you can screw or pull it out, and then clean it. 5 minute job.
Please let us know whether this works. After this the flames should be around 1 cm high
Here are a few pictures to go with Jefs mixing jet cleaning process.
It is a DIY 5 minute job.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	416.4 KB
ID:	64527   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	419.4 KB
ID:	64528