Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2022, 12:35   #1

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
Did anyone beach or fall dry a Lavezzi, Lipari or Athena?

Did any of you beach or let a Lavezzi, Lipari or Athena fall dry or has a foto of one?

Does it stand on the keels only or does it additionally sit on the rudders to? Or does it fall bow down?
We are performing a structural survey to test the reinforced structure after a repair. For this to simulate we need to know how the Lavezzi beaches/fall dry. Nothing is in the manuals and FP didn't answer our questions about that.
Have the cat 1 year and never beached it but will in the future.
After hit by a rougue wave we repaired the broken structures (glued bulkheads all broke...), reinforced wherever we repaired and added bulkheads, fixed all the production issues and done an osmosis treatment by sandblasting underwatership to fibreglass and add 2-6 layers of 450mats with binelester resin, then epoxy primer, faired with jotun epoxy putty, epoxy primer again and then Coopercoat. This need to be tested to figure if other areas are effected which we cannot see see before. Due to the broken structure before we couldn't test that.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2022, 14:46   #2

Boat: currently boatless
Re: Did anyone beach or fall dry a Lavezzi, Lipari or Athena?

CaptRivet, just as a side light to your post can you expand on the damage to the bulkhead damage please and subsequent repair. We are looking at a Lipari 41 where we plan to do some major sea miles and need to understand what to look at in regards to possible shortfalls of these vessels.

Ozsailer
currently boatless but on the hunt
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2022, 14:36   #3

Boat: Mahé 36

A bit late, I don't know if your question is still open, but we have a Mahe 36 and we have beached it several times without a problem. She sits perfectly upright. If you want to I can post a picture.
Good luck with your repairs!
sailingjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2022, 15:20   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingjoy View Post
A bit late, I don't know if your question is still open, but we have a Mahe 36 and we have beached it several times without a problem. She sits perfectly upright. If you want to I can post a picture.
Good luck with your repairs!
Thank you. Yes a picture will be great. I assume she sits with all the weight on the keels?
Will add keel shoes to protect the underside of the keels.
Question is if she sits on the rudders too.
We are just finished with the repairs aed structural improvements, all went well and she is now better then new from the factory... 350% stronger then new according to final survey. Surveyor stated he didn't see such a quality work in a long time. tommorrow Coopercoat aed then 5 days drying it and haul in on Saturday morning.
Old 24-06-2022, 04:47   #5

I beached my Athena 38 primarily to change the saildrive oil after a delivery trip which had put 400 hours on the engines. I scouted a small beach and removed stones and debris at low tide and marked the landing zone. At around 1 metre draft it doesn't take long to dry out. Hard sand is the ideal surface, any stones or rocks will chip the gelcoat of the keels. The rudders are almost as deep as the keels but as the keels are shallower towards the bows the cat will lean forward slightly on a flat surface or on the gently sloping beach I used stay level, keeping the rudders well clear of the ground.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210728_151431.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	429.5 KB
ID:	259925   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210728_141326.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	445.7 KB
ID:	259926  

Name:	IMG_20210728_141437.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	429.8 KB
ID:	259927  
Panhardrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2022, 06:30   #6

Boat: Mahé 36

I beach my Mahé 36 mainly for fun and sometimes to clean the propeller. The first picture is on the beach of Oxwich Bay on the Gower Peninsula, Wales. Because the sand was not too hard the tip of the rudder is in the sand, but the weight is on the keels.
The second picture shows what happens when you “dry out” in soft mud, as you can see almost the whole of the rudder and the propeller is in the mud (Lynher River, near Plymouth). In high wellies I could just about walk around the boat, vèry slowly ;-)

I have also put a stainless steel strip under the keels, so that I don’t have to worry if a keel lands on an stone. Once one keel landed on my own anchor, I couldn’t believe my eyes! But no damage to the keel or the anchor.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180809_090118Oxwich Bay Wales.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	407.9 KB
ID:	260207   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180826_111549 Lynher River.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	405.7 KB
ID:	260208  

sailingjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 12:06   #7

Thank you both.
Wow that picture sunken down in the mud looks a bit scary. I would be a bit worry about mud getting between prop and saildrive gasket and screwing up the gasket...
Old 17-01-2023, 14:44   #8

Boat: FP Athena 38

Hi

I have beached our Athena 38 at least 6-7 times. The best is on concrete slipways in protected habours, where it is possible to use lines so that the boat do not slide backwards.

The rudders, or props, do not touch the ground as long as the keels do not sink down in sand/mud.
Kati is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lipari, Lavezzi