Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2015, 23:30   #481

Boat: FP Lucia 40, Hull #22
Re: Buying a Mahe

Hi
Personally I would not buy the standard fixed 2 blade props. With mine the rubber bush on one was separating after a year. They also have considerable drag.
I would definitely go for folding or feathering props. Noticeable difference sailing, tacking etc.

I can't offer advice on folding props but I bought a set of Seahawk stainless steel feathering props in 2008 and have never looked back. They are Australian made but probably available internationally. Expensive but worth it! I now have nearly 1400 hours on the engines and we have sailed 12000 miles as an indication of their usage. Absolutely no issues whatsoever so far.

Cheers
Martin
MKB53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 08:06   #482

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Mahe 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKB53 View Post
Hi
Personally I would not buy the standard fixed 2 blade props. With mine the rubber bush on one was separating after a year. They also have considerable drag.
I would definitely go for folding or feathering props. Noticeable difference sailing, tacking etc.

I can't offer advice on folding props but I bought a set of Seahawk stainless steel feathering props in 2008 and have never looked back. They are Australian made but probably available internationally. Expensive but worth it! I now have nearly 1400 hours on the engines and we have sailed 12000 miles as an indication of their usage. Absolutely no issues whatsoever so far.

Cheers
Martin
Thanks for the advise. It's on my list....
Old 15-09-2015, 09:38   #483

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

I run 2 blade fixed. Drag is only an issue in light wind, then only ~1/2 kt of speed.

Folding/feathering are nice, but a pair of 2 blade fixed cost ~$500 vs. feathering at ~$5000.

YMMV
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:07   #484

Is your boat still for sale? We are visiting Mystic until tomorrow and would love to take a look, if possible.

James
Tiemates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 18:55   #485

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiemates View Post
Is your boat still for sale? We are visiting Mystic until tomorrow and would love to take a look, if possible.

James

Curious, r u in Mystic to look at Cotemar's Mahe, Catatude?
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 06:37   #486

Yes. We've since learned it has sold. A great boat, for sure.
JM
Old 20-11-2015, 18:10   #487

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiemates View Post
Yes. We've since learned it has sold. A great boat, for sure.

JM

Fantastic. What was the final selling price for Catatude?
Old 22-11-2015, 15:04   #488

I'm afraid I have no idea.
Old 22-11-2015, 15:13   #489

Catatude's new owner now sails out of Annapolis on the Chesapeake
ZipTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 17:43   #490

She's a fine example of the most successful entry level cat. FP got it right on that model. Gemini Legacy, TomKat 9.2, as the closest to contemporary cats don't stack up to what Mahe's design offers. And now in that design category, there are none.

Catatude is the most well cared for so I can see the imagined final price is a great value.
Old 27-03-2021, 10:50   #491

Boat: Fontaine Pajot Mahe 36

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to figure out the size of the original Volvo Penta two-blade props that came with the Mahe with the D1-30 engine and 130 Saildrive. Any help would be appreciated. I need to replace them, also considering going to 3-blades if anyone has an opinion or recommendation on size.

Thanks so much!

Nepomuk
nepomuk1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 01:58   #492

Boat: FP Lucia 40, Hull #22

Hi Nepomuk
I can't help with the sizing as I had 20hp motors but I would recommend a 3 bladed feathering prop as a good option. Better drive going forward and astern and low drag. My Mahe was shipped with 2 bladed fixed props. The difference in all areas was huge going to the feathering 3 blade.
Expensive but worth it.
MKB53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 05:20   #493

Just a quick update. The 2-blade on the D1-30 with a 130 Saildrive is a 14x11 prop. VP part number 21351275.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:21   #494

Hi everyone, not sure if this thread is still active enough for this question. But then again, I only need one right answer. :-)

I'm having the problem that there are decent amounts of water coming through the rubrails on my Mahe 36. I have now taken off the rubrails and found that the caulking below the rubrails needs to be replaced. Will use a MS sealant for this.

HOWEVER. The glue that was applied between the deck and the hull to glue these together also seems to have shrunk and I'm unsure how well this is now holding. There are bolts every 80cm or so. Does anyone have any experience on whether it would be worthwhile adding additional bolts to strengthen the bond. I'm concerned that this might result in additional stress on the deck or hull, leading to cracks. I would appreciate any thoughts or recommendations on this.

Thanks so much and regards. Aljoscha
Old 03-04-2021, 15:48   #495

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepomuk1978 View Post
Hi everyone, not sure if this thread is still active enough for this question. But then again, I only need one right answer. :-)

I'm having the problem that there are decent amounts of water coming through the rubrails on my Mahe 36. I have now taken off the rubrails and found that the caulking below the rubrails needs to be replaced. Will use a MS sealant for this.

HOWEVER. The glue that was applied between the deck and the hull to glue these together also seems to have shrunk and I'm unsure how well this is now holding. There are bolts every 80cm or so. Does anyone have any experience on whether it would be worthwhile adding additional bolts to strengthen the bond. I'm concerned that this might result in additional stress on the deck or hull, leading to cracks. I would appreciate any thoughts or recommendations on this.

Thanks so much and regards. Aljoscha
I'm pretty sure that's just sealant, not glue. If it is glue and that's what's holding the top half of my Mahe to the bottom half then I'm not sure I'd want to go out in a stiff breeze for fear the cabin would blow off!
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mahe 36