Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2011, 19:15   #16

Re: Program Won't Open

As another one with the same problem on Win7, I am not sure after all this discussion what I should be doing to remedy the problem. I am about to do another complete reload. I had upgraded to 2.5 yesterday, and have had to reload 2x since.
Jill
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 22:55   #17

Boat: Phantom 19

Jill,
  • Close all instances of opencpn.
  • Go to C:\ProgramData\opencpn.
  • Adjust your system settings so that hidden files and system files are visible.
  • Also change settings so that all file extensions are shown.
  • in .ini file look for the lines like:

Code:
FrameWinPosX=-31984 
FrameWinPosY=-31940
The numeric values may be different in your case
  • Change the lines to:

Code:
FrameWinPosX=0
FrameWinPosY=20
  • Save the modified file
  • Start OpenCPN
  • Try to avoid closing OpenCPN when it's minimized to system tray if possible until this bug is fixed
For the fix in OpenCPN, you have to wait for the next release

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 09:18   #18

Boat: 29'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Dave

A repeatable scenario, that "works" on W7 and XP.

1 Start OpenCPN.
2 Minimize the application by clicking the "-" in the frame.
3 Stop OpenCPN by right clicking the application icon in the windows "taskbar" and click "Close Window"(W7) or "Close" (XP).
4 Check the ini file now, should be (x,y)~(-32000, -32000).
5 The discussed problem occurs on restart. The real problem here is a failure of OpenCPN to maximize when clicking the TaskBar Icon after restart with a minimized window. There is no problem to maximize and minimize unless OpenCPN is closed, as described above.

I hope this helps!

It is impossible to repeat this with Ubuntu.

Thomas
just a try-anybody else that wants to try?...there might be a user-friendly fix.I've been fiddling with this on XP.It involves the "Tile Windows Vertically"(or Horizontal) option.

When this lock-up happens,and O is stuck on the bottom,open any other folder or app or file-something else anyways,and then click the taskbar and invoke the "tile vertically".
This worked once for me and I have not been able to recreate the stuck O since,though I am using Cagney's recipe.That,of course,means I can't test this "fix" properly either!at least until...I remember where the setting is and cancel the following?
because I think it presupposes you have your Windoze set to "remember window settings".
there is still something odd happening,compared to the restore,minimise,and maximise right click options of a generic app.
... noted when I had O stuck was trying the taskbar right-click,Move or Resize" options.Obviously connected to these bogus "-" xy values in the ini file.I'm still wondering if I couldn't have escaped somehow using the movearrow that appeared top left.First tries were no-go but?

Of course,NohalFix works too.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 09:30   #19

A theory:The symptom of a similar possible crash in your future is not having this " tiled "window available.(on xp,anyways)

edit:I mean,per the full sized.You should be able to click that and get a smaller sized window..

Click image for larger version

Name:	minmax.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	31709
Old 09-10-2011, 20:29   #20
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5

This keeps happening on my laptop and PC. Has a new version fixed this prob yet?
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:45   #21

dennisail,maybe before it happens yet again,try resizing the opencpn window...so that there are 2 window size options :Fullscreen and partscreen that'll work before you try minimising it....ie:drag the edges of OpenCPN so there's a smaller window so you can "Tile Windows"...then test minimise,resize,full-screen .

for XP,I haven't been able to duplicate it since I did this.I googled window-resizing for Win7 and there's this new feature "Aero" that makes it beyond MY ken but your workaround temp fix might be there,among the complaints...
Old 14-10-2011, 06:26   #22

Boat: Nicholson 39, Antares

OpenCPN works fine on my XP machine, but I cannot get it to open on win7.
followuing from log file
21:23:46:

21:23:46: 2011-10-14
21:23:46: -------Starting opencpn-------
21:23:46: Version 2.5.0 Build 2011-07-26
21:23:46: MemoryStatus: mem_total: 3062 mb, mem_initial: 9 mb
21:23:46: SData_Locn is C:\Program Files\OpenCPN\
21:23:46: Creating new Config_File: C:\ProgramData\opencpn\opencpn.ini
21:23:46: Setting Viewpoint Lat/Lon 33.358, -79.282
21:23:46: Setting Ownship Lat/Lon 33.358, -79.282
21:23:46: Error: Failed to copy the file 'C:\ProgramData\opencpn\navobj.xml' to 'C:\ProgramData\opencpn\navobj.xml.1' (error 2: the system cannot find the file specified.)
Unquote.
anyone can help

Peter
pofranck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 15:21   #23

peter,
blind leading the blind? I'm only xp but from the log,it looks like something stole your "navob.xml"Navobj stores the tracks routes and waypoints.It makes versions of itself as things go ...

you can put this one in(delete the".doc"tail first!)you can open it in a text editor-why not?anyways....IF when you get there ('C:\ProgramData\opencpn\) you find it isn't lost,perhaps just rename the bad version temporarily....You will need to be able to do things like this...IE:logged in as Administrator and without your files hidden etc.

IF it works,(it's unlikely to do harm-I tried it myself)you'll note right away there's no waypoints,tracks and routes available to you.They are all in the Bad one if it exists and you can maybe root em out later.OR even copy the navobj.xml from your xp install?

navobj.xml.doc
Old 15-10-2011, 15:59   #24

...actually,just renaming the old one would do.OpenCPN will write herself a new blank...
Old 15-10-2011, 16:03   #25
cruiser

Boat: cornish crabber

i think that opencpn2.5 is full of bugs,or something is definitely wrong. when i zoom in out or pan it literary freeze,not responding. my computer spec is amd 840 X4 3200, 8gb memory, ati radeon 5600 hd graphic card.just before it stop responding my processor was working 80%.can jou imagine, quad core processor "working" 80% because ocpn.does not work 80% when i am rendering and editing videos. "old" ocpn (2.3)run witouth any glitch.(same computer, same set up). i still have previous version 2.3 with same version cm93 on the old laptop and it working perfectly.before i had windows xp, now it is windows 7 ultimate (64 bit) maby because that.but on the laptop i have also windows 7 proffesional 32 bit. maybe there is problem when ocpn 2.5 run with windows 64.
gravosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 05:41   #26

Thanks for the file, tthe strange thing is that this was a brand new installment on my newly obtained Laptop, and confirm all hidden files turned on, as well as extentions, still the file never showed up in ProgramData/opencpn folder.
I have now copied your filem (removed .doc) and program still does not start, but logmessage different see below.
Also noticed that the .ini file is missing from directory, even though log files says it has been created?

20:33:14: 2011-10-16
20:33:14: -------Starting opencpn-------
20:33:14: Version 2.5.0 Build 2011-07-26
20:33:14: MemoryStatus: mem_total: 3062 mb, mem_initial: 9 mb
20:33:14: SData_Locn is C:\Program Files\OpenCPN\
20:33:14: Creating new Config_File: C:\ProgramData\opencpn\opencpn.ini
20:33:14: Setting Viewpoint Lat/Lon 33.358, -79.282
20:33:14: Setting Ownship Lat/Lon 33.358, -79.282
Unquote
Your further advise much appreciated.
Regards Peter
Old 16-10-2011, 09:29   #27

Peter,accept my sympathy trying to discipline a new computer... ....that is really odd...it looks like opencpn is not creating files at all Have you investigated the possibility there's some kind of Antivirus program stopping her? is it corrupting the install,maybe?

A clue that might inform:go to where opencpn is installed-I mean Win7's equivalent of XP's "Program Files"-there should be an "install log in there.

look for the chunky bits.
I'll look back into the threads.There was a situation where similar popped up.I have another idea too...for later....

wait awhile,see if a win7 expert happens along but me,
I'd try this nowand it's just a guess from a backyard mechanic XP guy that uses vicegrips because wrenches never work so well...)
If you just want the darn thing to go as a semi-portable version....copy ALL the XP opencpn files and folders into a Program Data /opencpn folder on win7.No kidding.the opencpn.exe,TCData folders,the wxbaseblahblah dlls everything.you won't need the uninstall.exe though because that'll target the "correct" folders....opencpn.exe doesn't care where she is and if her dlls and everything are with her in the same folder,she goes.,but she is sensitive to the Config folder location...C:/whatever/Program Data/opencpn...on 7.
This works for me on xp just as well as having the 2 folders,if you don't mind creating your own shortcuts.Just delete the whole folder if it's no go.
I guess you should preserve the existing one before this by renaming it because destroying evidence is not a good idea,but here,it seems you can recreate it on demand by running a new install anyways.

later you could tidy up by uninstalling the proper version (but rename the working creation first!and scrubbing the dirt out where you find it...
Old 16-10-2011, 10:11   #28

...I do remember something about an antivirus program(kaspersky?) stopping OpenCPN from updating/installing VCredist package("widgets"...the wx blah blah dll files) in Win7.It was more an issue with XP ...where was it now...
Old 17-10-2011, 05:41   #29

So tried all your "tricks" but same result, program "think a little" then nothing shows.
Reinstalled (uninstalled first) still navobj.xml does not show in ProgramData folder.
Looking at the install.log it does not look like the file is being exrtracted, should have been in between multileg.png and north-up.png
Quote from install.log
Extract: mp.png... 100%
Extract: multileg.png
Extract: north-up.png
Extract: not_participate.png
Unquote
So I put my copy from XP machine in ProgramData folder, rune exe (directly from OpenCPN folder), same thing pc thinks a few seconds then nothing.
A opencpn.log is created and a copy of navobj.xml.1 is created, no opencpn.ini.
So then reinstalled copied navobj.xml AND my opencpn.ini from XP, adjusted it for a few directories to match Win7.
But again same result, no show.
I thank you for your help, it was worth trying, now I just hope someone with similar experience could pick up from here (or of course if you have other suggestion, most welcome).
Quote opencpnlog (using my XP opencpn.ini
20:27:41: 2011-10-17
20:27:41: -------Starting opencpn-------
20:27:41: Version 2.5.0 Build 2011-07-26
20:27:41: MemoryStatus: mem_total: 3062 mb, mem_initial: 9 mb
20:27:41: SData_Locn is C:\Program Files\OpenCPN\
20:27:41: Using existing Config_File: C:\ProgramData\opencpn\opencpn.ini
20:27:41: Setting Viewpoint Lat/Lon 1.2803, 103.759
20:27:41: Setting Ownship Lat/Lon 1.2943, 103.761
Unquote
Old 17-10-2011, 05:42   #30

And sorry forgot, anti virus turned off during installing, by the way it was on all tries so far