Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2023, 04:55   #1

OpenPlotter - Where is /dev/ttyAMA0

I am not sure what the problem is but there's a lack of replies to my past issues! Me or how I describe the problem?

I will try again, pruning things down.

Where is /dev/ttyAMA0? I cannot find it and not sure whether it has been disabled somehow. When I select all the GPIO uart options, they all come up except the one I need for PyPilot. The only other device which shows up is the GPS USB puck /dev/ttyACM0. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ports.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	279490  
PhilipL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 04:57   #2

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5
Re: One last try with this forum

The lack of response may be due to nobody else has experienced this issue. I'm only responding to let you know that your message got through. I, do not have any idea of what your referencing only because I don't use a computer for navigation and I am not familiar with any of those types of programs. Have a great day!
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 05:05   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipL View Post
I am not sure what the problem is but there's a lack of replies to my past issues! Me or how I describe the problem?

I will try again, pruning things down.

Where is /dev/ttyAMA0? I cannot find it and not sure whether it has been disabled somehow. When I select all the GPIO uart options, they all come up except the one I need for PyPilot. The only other device which shows up is the GPS USB puck /dev/ttyACM0. Any suggestions?
I have absolutely no idea idea what you are talking about except "GPS".

But I responded
Old 11-08-2023, 05:19   #4

Google found this: https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=151922
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 05:55   #5

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Have you loud and clear here.

Only recommendation would be to put something in the title which might attract someone who is familiar with the issue. I haven't tried OCpn on a RPi yet so I wouldn't be much help.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 06:06   #6

/dev/ttyAMA0
Have tried to seach on the internet for that. There is explanation about it.
P_Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 06:22   #7

"One last try with this forum" isn't a very good thread title for a specific technical question. I don't know if your other thread titles were more specific, but this one is lacking.
siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 06:32   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamese View Post
"One last try with this forum" isn't a very good thread title for a specific technical question. I don't know if your other thread titles were more specific, but this one is lacking.

Maybe not, but it certainly got responses that my more technical titles didn't get. Unfortunately, not yet the answer. Leecea's looks good, though, and I'll read it up before I get back down to the boat. A RPi problem seems likely - as in that post.

Hopefully someone from OpenPlotter will have knowledge of this. I have spent 3 days trying to resolve it and searching through the www.

Thanks for the responses!
Old 11-08-2023, 11:47   #9

One last try with this forum

This is an OpenPlotter issue but this is a forum for OpenCpn, a related but different piece of software. Have you tried asking in an OpenPlotter forum?
AedanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 12:24   #10

Boat: Morgan 382

I will give a snarky response, but I mean it in a helpful way.
If you don't understand the issue, give up on using a rpi. I believe there are far more Windows and Mac users of OpenCPN than rpi. Yet people post of problems on rpi 10:1 over Windows. It just works better.

Have you checked that /dev/ttyAMA0 exists? Has it been opened/locked by another process?
Old 11-08-2023, 13:54   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AedanC View Post
This is an OpenPlotter issue but this is a forum for OpenCpn, a related but different piece of software. Have you tried asking in an OpenPlotter forum?

Maybe you are correct. But it started with AIS going missing from OpenCPN and when I sorted that I had a problem with PyPilot. I took the view there is a symbiotic relationship between the three programs.
Old 11-08-2023, 13:55   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
I will give a snarky response, but I mean it in a helpful way.
If you don't understand the issue, give up on using a rpi. I believe there are far more Windows and Mac users of OpenCPN than rpi. Yet people post of problems on rpi 10:1 over Windows. It just works better.

Have you checked that /dev/ttyAMA0 exists? Has it been opened/locked by another process?

Well if we all took that view, we would be living in the dark ages. But I'll give it the consideration it deserves.

It exists. I don't know how to determine what is wrong with it.
Old 11-08-2023, 14:26   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
OpenPlotter - Where is /dev/ttyAMA0

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamese View Post
I have made a stab at altering the title to be more meaningful, but I don't use Open CPN, although its on the laptop. Perhaps one day but I am busy baking cakes at the moment, far more exciting
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CR Cake.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	211.6 KB
ID:	279534   Click image for larger version

Name:	CR Cake 2.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	215.7 KB
ID:	279535  

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 14:50   #14

Re: OpenPlotter - Where is /dev/ttyAMA0

Those cakes are top heavy. They need a keel.

Yes, thanks for the change in title. I had posted over in the OpenPlotter forum but zilch replies. My non specific title got me at least one possibility.
Old 11-08-2023, 14:53   #15

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: OpenPlotter - Where is /dev/ttyAMA0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I have made a stab at altering the title to be more meaningful, but I don't use Open CPN, although its on the laptop. Perhaps one day but I am busy baking cakes at the moment, far more exciting
An activist friend of mine has started using this tactic to attract attention to his otherwise somewhat controversial activism posts. Your cake looks fantastic!