Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 14:25   #46

Boat: Irwin 37 CC
Re: OpenCPN Version 3.0.0 Release

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Please read the first three lines in Vector Charts | Official OpenCPN Homepage.

The "Show ENC Text" button was not activated in the screen dump in your #33 post.

Thomas
I forgot all about the big A+, my mistake.

So now, after I select the big A+, the only thing new I see is headings for shipping channels. Does this mean that there are no names for harbors, islands, rivers towns etc?
Old 11-06-2012, 14:34   #47

Boat: HR40

win7 pro.

after installing 3.0 over the old version ( last beta ) with the old settings I added some new marks and ended opencpn.

I had an error message like "not possible to overwrite ......" , sorry I dont remember the exact error message.
all the marks were lost when I restarted opencpn next day.

I tried some times and always only found back some marks I made months ago. not the actual one.

after a complete deinstall and reinstall it works now and my marks stay visible after restart.
Old 11-06-2012, 14:39   #48

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

A couple of issues. I am running my Toshiba laptop with Windows Vista 64. I downloaded 3.0 and installed it over 2.5. The 2.5 icon is still on my desktop and it won't delete, I keep getting a message that it can't be found when I try and delete it. All of my plug-ins are in the folder where they were before but the plug-in list in the tools only shows grib and dashboard. When I try and change text element it doesn't save and keeps reverting to Console Legend no matter what I choose and click OK. Also I changed the color of ownship from black to red and when I open it in my image software it shows red but when I open OpenCPN it stays black. I didn't uninstall 2.5 because I didn't want to loose anything. Any thoughts? Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 22:46   #49

Boat: Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdkester View Post
So now, after I select the big A+, the only thing new I see is headings for shipping channels. Does this mean that there are no names for harbors, islands, rivers towns etc?
The A+ button is a master switch to turn off all texts. When it's on, there are other settings that control visibility of certain types of texts. Check the "Show important texts only" switch and those below it. If you are in the "Mariners Standard" display category there are additional switches in the left column that control visibility of texts.
JesperWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:04   #50

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 37

Small error in CM93 text rendering that make chart hard to read at some scale. It looks like this happen when a long text is display on two lines. Then following text overlap (see example here after, right bottom at "Pointe des Corbeaux)

When increasing the scale, the problem disappear, as there is enough space to write all lines.
fulup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:15   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulup View Post
Small error in CM93 text rendering that make chart hard to read at some scale. It looks like this happen when a long text is display on two lines. Then following text overlap (see example here after, right bottom at "Pointe des Corbeaux)

When increasing the scale, the problem disappear, as there is enough space to write all lines.
This is not an error in the rendering, just overlapping texts that there is nothing to do about. Obviously they will overlap less when you zoom in. You can try using "De-clutter text" in the vector chart settings, but be aware that some texts will be hidden and you might miss important info if you do that.

For lights and similar it might also help to turn of ATON Labels, since those are often duplicated as _texto objects.
/j
Old 12-06-2012, 02:31   #52

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 37

The experiment 'De-Clutter' text does the job. Selecting Individual object name in the CM93 is not easy to handle, as for most object we have no idea what they represent.
fulup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:06   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulup View Post
The experiment 'De-Clutter' text does the job. Selecting Individual object name in the CM93 is not easy to handle, as for most object we have no idea what they represent.
Unless you read the manual
Vector Charts | Official OpenCPN Homepage
Old 12-06-2012, 06:05   #54

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew MacKenzie View Post
Help a beginner, please. I have OpenCPN 3.2.1 loaded for me by a sailing friend (now gone cruising so I can't ask him questions). Am slowly learning how to use the software - for puddling around my local sailing waters near Cape Town - BUT can't manage to get a track to show up on the chart. My position is indicated by the red boat but no track! Is it me (probably) or am I using "old" software? Would 3.0.0 help? If so, how do I install?
Click on the tool symbol, then the 'etc' box, and make sure that you have checked 'show track icon'.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 06:50   #55

Boat: Irwin 37 CC

There may be a small problem in 3.0 with the chart bar rollover with quilting on. The window, with chart name, scale, etc, opens but the chart doesn't turn redish. I don't think this is related to OpenGL or polyconic charts. I may have inadvertantly turned something off and, if not, this is a very minor problem

Should potential bugs be reported in this thread or the main thread?
Old 13-06-2012, 06:57   #56

Quote:
Although people try to answer and help out in the forum, the proper and safe way to report bugs is in the Flyspray tracker. Stuff in forum threads risk getting buried and forgotten...
/j
Old 13-06-2012, 07:57   #57

Boat: Miura Racer/Cruiser, 31ft: RCOD (vd Stadt1963)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesperWe View Post
Although people try to answer and help out in the forum, the proper and safe way to report bugs is in the Flyspray tracker. Stuff in forum threads risk getting buried and forgotten...
/j
Where does one find the Flyspray tracker? This is the first that I have heards of it.
Andrew MacKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 08:00   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew MacKenzie View Post
Where does one find the Flyspray tracker? This is the first that I have heards of it.
Click the "Tracker" button on http://opencpn.org (The far right on the top menu)
Old 13-06-2012, 08:42   #59

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
There may be a small problem in 3.0 with the chart bar rollover with quilting on. The window, with chart name, scale, etc, opens but the chart doesn't turn redish. I don't think this is related to OpenGL or polyconic charts. I may have inadvertantly turned something off and, if not, this is a very minor problem

Good catch! Can we recruit you as a beta tester next time around?

I find that the lack of red highlighting, is only a problem in GL mode, and I can't find a problem with GL off. I'm using xUbuntu 12.04.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 08:59   #60

Boat: 29'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
A couple of issues. I am running my Toshiba laptop with Windows Vista 64. I downloaded 3.0 and installed it over 2.5. The 2.5 icon is still on my desktop and it won't delete, I keep getting a message that it can't be found when I try and delete it. All of my plug-ins are in the folder where they were before but the plug-in list in the tools only shows grib and dashboard. When I try and change text element it doesn't save and keeps reverting to Console Legend no matter what I choose and click OK. Also I changed the color of ownship from black to red and when I open it in my image software it shows red but when I open OpenCPN it stays black. I didn't uninstall 2.5 because I didn't want to loose anything. Any thoughts? Chuck
Chuck,
per ownship, you won't see your new colour until a gps fix is established. ownship is always a nasty grey until then...

per Plugins, you'll need to update some of these for 3.0 from the OPCN download page.

Console legend- I can't remember exactly (but for the dashboard it's easy enough of course, though colours don't change for me, so I could use a tip here myself)
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
opencpn