Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2023, 05:43   #1

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Open Source Software - Join the Team

It is OpenCPN. Join the team.

OpenCPN depends on a the entire community from around the world for support, from:

Users - Testers, bug catchers, ideas, requests for enhancements, documentation, support for those having trouble, teaching, promoting.

Maintainers - Code, documentation, plugins, distribution and deployment.

Programmers - Advance the code into next generation tools, strategize for changes in underlying software, determine code structure, improve stability and speed and communication with other software, correct bugs, and finally provide enhancements.

There is plenty that you can do to help.

https://www.technologyreview.com/202...eid=83b3d5c843
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 17:43   #2

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 34
Re: Open Source Software - Join the Team

Greetings -

I am interested in supporting this project.
I have programming experience in BASIC, and have been doing a variety of programming project in MSOFFICE (for Windows) - mostly in MSExcel, but also in MSWord for over 30-years. My most recent project was to write a function (based on some others) that converted angular measurements in degrees to/from deg mins secs to degrees decimal and back in a variety of formats. This was done for some compass math that I was working on including the development of a compass deviation card form my own education on the subject.

I am a retired marine engineer with a significant background in technical document review. I am spending a part of my retired life supporting the technical review and comment of documents submitted by others. This technical review includes technical input as well as word-smithing and commenting on message intent. I have spent almost my entire professional career being a software tester for the people I have worked for, performing functional testing and intentional "breaking" of software. Some of my work has included software development management.

I work primarily on a Windows 10 box, but I also have Linux Ubuntu setup in a Virtual Box.

Please let me know how I might be of assistance.
Old 04-09-2023, 18:45   #3

@catspaw_me We will welcome your contributions. We have needs associated with documentation, testing and would very much like to have greater interoperability with respect to cutting and pasting lat long in various formats, and it sounds to me like you might have some good solutions for us (the program does have some capability to cut and paste lat/long, but it could use testing and improvements I think.

We also hope to update the manual in a more comprehensive way.
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...n:manual_basic

Plugins Manuals https://opencpn-manuals.github.io/ma...ins/index.html

Dev Manual https://opencpn-manuals.github.io/ma...hisManual.html

The website is https://opencpn.org/

Do you have a free opensource account at github.com? If not you can register as an opensource dev (opencpn.org) It will prove useful. Thanks.
Rick
Old 05-09-2023, 07:05   #4

Yes, I do have a free GitHub account - ShipSnipe.
Old 29-03-2024, 03:06   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATSPAW_ME View Post
Greetings -

I am interested in supporting this project.
I have programming experience in BASIC, and have been doing a variety of programming project in MSOFFICE (for Windows) - mostly in MSExcel, but also in MSWord for over 30-years. My most recent project was to write a function (based on some others) that converted angular measurements in degrees to/from deg mins secs to degrees decimal and back in a variety of formats. This was done for some compass math that I was working on including the development of a compass deviation card form my own education on the subject.

I am a retired marine engineer with a significant background in technical document review. I also work on my fintech skills because I have some ideas, but for now I'm not ready to work on them. I found one great company called DashDevs which I think will be a great one to choose for one of my ideas. I am spending a part of my retired life supporting the technical review and comment of documents submitted by others. This technical review includes technical input as well as word-smithing and commenting on message intent. I have spent almost my entire professional career being a software tester for the people I have worked for, performing functional testing and intentional "breaking" of software. Some of my work has included software development management.

I work primarily on a Windows 10 box, but I also have Linux Ubuntu setup in a Virtual Box.

Please let me know how I might be of assistance.
Hello. It's impressive how many years of experience you have. Maybe you can recommend some resources which can help me improve my skills with programming in MSOFFICE? I'd appreciate it a lot.
I have some experience, but I'm a beginner, so would like to improve.
stevenrolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2024, 05:02   #6

@CATSPAW_ME @ShipSnipe

We are working on the User Manual Basic right now, first page.
Also Setup GNSS & GPS and Connections
Old 04-04-2024, 10:32   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenrolls View Post
Hello. It's impressive how many years of experience you have. Maybe you can recommend some resources which can help me improve my skills with programming in MSOFFICE? I'd appreciate it a lot.
I have some experience, but I'm a beginner, so would like to improve.

Most of my experience in MSOffice deals with MSWord and MSExcel. That being said, “…necessity is the mother of invention….” Or something to that effect. I started by recording basic macros using the macro recorder to perform a series of steps on a regular basis. Then I started searching online for tips on how to automate certain processes. As an example: in the past, when you started Word and opened a document, you were not offered the opportunity to go to the place you last were in the document, as you are today. So, I found a way to make that happen by placing a bookmark there. An autorunning macro would then take me to the bookmark if one was found in that document. This was necessary because I authored/edit large documents and contracts. So, the first step is to ensure the Developer Tab is displayed. Then try things. Go back into the Macro Editor to see what you created and the language used to make it happen. It will help if you have an understanding of BASIC – a computer programming language going back to the 1960’s.
Next I would search out sites such as or like The Word MVP Site (https://wordmvp.com/FAQs/MacrosVBA.htm) This particular site gives you some great beginner tips for developing macros in MSWord. You might also pickup a book such as John Walkenbach’s Microsoft Office Excel 2010 Power Programming with VBA. A book such as this will sometimes come with a CD ROM of code examples for you to walk through as you work your way through the book. Last, you will find several YouTube Channels that offer tips and tricks, both for macro writing, and or making use of Functions that MSOffice provides. A couple of my favorites deal with Excel, as that is where I spend my leisure time these days….
1) Leila Gharani: https://www.youtube.com/@LeilaGharani
2) MyOnlineTrainingHub: https://www.youtube.com/@MyOnlineTrainingHub
3) Chandoo: https://www.youtube.com/@chandoo_
Of course, if there is something specific you are looking for help on… let me know. I might be able to give you a hand.

Tags
software