Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 15-07-2011, 11:27   #886

Boat: Oneoff
Re: Feature Requests

a relay from greenland,
A friend of mine is cruising (very) high latitudes in Greenland, and is getting sometimes pore GPS signals. this GPS give's then a latitude of 91 N and 181 W on nmea, making OCPN tracks getting jumping around.
Is it possible to filter nmea sentence's before using them? Giving a warning while continuing on deadreckoning would be perfect.
Dirk (on behalf of Eef)
rooiedirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 18:28   #887

Boat: Nidelv 28, 28ft
Send a message via Skype™ to HotRod

You can set GPS filter and filter period under the tab "GPS". It might help... I'm not sure if it does anything with the position, but it helps om sog and cog.
HotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 20:11   #888

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRod View Post
You can set GPS filter and filter period under the tab "GPS". It might help... I'm not sure if it does anything with the position, but it helps om sog and cog.
I am using a Globalsat BU-353 which seems to update every second. The COG and SOG vary considerably while underway ... they don't seem to be averaged over a particular period. Changing settings for filter period up to 60 seconds (max allowed) does not change the erratic behaviour of the GPS in version 2.4.714. I have not tried these settings in previous versions of OpenCPN.
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 13:42   #889

One of the reasons to not use a gps "puck"... Not suitable for marine navigation.
On a stationary gps you can usually set smoothing on the gps it self.
I have a stationary gps my self and have never had any reason to use filtering/smoothing. Never tried the function in OCPN, but if it's not working it should be reported in Flyspray.
Old 18-07-2011, 12:39   #890

Sorry if this has been covered already but I cant find in a search about this. I find very difficult to read waypoints when you have an area cluttered with many. This is a problem in not few of the commercial programs as well, but I remember one that had solved this quite fine, Nobeltec VNS version 5 had the names inside a rectangle , both font and rectangle could be painted in different colors for contrast and there was a small border in it as well, this made waypoints incrediby easy to pinpoint. Maptech Chart Navigator Pro has also this implementation but the most clever was VNS´s. Could something like this be implemented ? perhaps sum this option where it says you can choose Underline or Strikethrough for the fonts could work. Thank you.
alex2035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 15:06   #891

Go into your route manager and deactivate the routes you don't use.
Old 18-07-2011, 15:30   #892

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2035 View Post
Sorry if this has been covered already but I cant find in a search about this. I find very difficult to read waypoints when you have an area cluttered with many.
I have considered posting this myself so thanks for doing the posting

I tried using the Route Manager to change the waypoint icon to something more visible (such as the diamond) with waypoint properties but that does not work (and I'm sure it should). The waypoint icon either gets deleted entirely or only a few can be changed.

I've found that by selecting a visible font for the waypoint name I can see them a bit better. But the basic problem remains .. the waypoint icon needs a way to be changed to something more visible.

Terry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11 07 19 06 20 29.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	29727   Click image for larger version

Name:	11 07 19 06 23 36.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	29728  

yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 15:52   #893

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition

2 Humble Requests.

1) Have Lat and Long on the same line in way-points, marks and elsewhere if there are other places. Similar to (or the same as) shown when one does an Object Query and the object has a position.
This would make copying and pasting into and out of OpenCPN so much easier and faster with no chance of mistakes.

2) Enable something similar to the VDR Plug-in (another plug-in?? or modified VDR plug-in??) except for created routes. One could then "play" the route that one has created while at the same time running the goggle earth plug-in (in fast time) and when it would be helpful, take snap shots for later use en route. It would be great to be able do this in comfort prior to ones trip.

If someone wants these request put somewhere else, let me know.

Thank-you for all your hard work!!

Extemp.
Old 18-07-2011, 16:27   #894

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2035 View Post
Sorry if this has been covered already but I cant find in a search about this. I find very difficult to read waypoints when you have an area cluttered with many.
the magic anti-overlap search term you seek is "Simulated Annealing".
I know of some gpl code for that if it's needed.

Hamish
HamishB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 16:29   #895

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRod View Post
Go into your route manager and deactivate the routes you don't use.
I dont use routes, I do waypoint managing for my clients and installations. I am a Raymarine tech. And I meant to say that waypoints arent showed in the best possible manner, and presented those examples/ideas that I think might work better visualy.
alex2035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 20:07   #896

Boat: 29'

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtvalhalla View Post

I tried using the Route Manager to change the waypoint icon to something more visible (such as the diamond) with waypoint properties but that does not work (and I'm sure it should). The waypoint icon either gets deleted entirely or only a few can be changed.

etc..

Terry
Hi,Terry.If I understand your request right,it is possible(In XP ,anyways) to have different icons for the marks ....

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	29739

Name:	Clipboard02.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	29740

Likewise,of course any simple mark...

Name:	Clipboard03.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	29741

Name:	Clipboard04.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	29742
Of course,doing these for marks in the route manager dialogue is the same thing...
There's no limit to how many have custom icons that I've noticed.Maybe you should save all the edited marks as a gpx somewhere on the hdd and then reloading that gpx might help?
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 13:38   #897

Boat: Princess, 388, 40ft
OverViewMap

Hi.
I'm running OCPN under Ubuntu 11.4 and it has managed to impress several of my sailing friends in Norway
One request I get from people whishing to check it out is to display a different scale map in a plugin window. To have an overview of location in narrow waters.
So I have started looking at the Demo plugin to see if I can manage to get a chart displayed in that frame.
Anyone looked at this before?
Also, a gentle push in the right direction would be appreciated.
Cheers
lurno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 14:08   #898

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

lurno..

Have you tried running a duplicate OCPN? You can run two programs simultaneously:

Instructions

1. Open the applications you wish to split across the monitor.

2. Click on the first application's button on the Windows taskbar. The program window for that particular document or software will display on the computer screen.

3. Press and hold the "Control" button on the keyboard.

4. Click on the other application button on the taskbar. Two buttons are now both visibly selected.

5. Right-click on either application button. A context pop-up menu will appear.

6. Click the "Tile Vertically" option in the menu. The monitor will become a split screen and both programs are active. You can also select "Tile Horizontally" to create a split screen with the programs stacked and the split running through the center of the monitor from left to right.

7. Click inside either window to manipulate its contents, type, cut and paste, or perform any other function. The screen remains split with the other program window active while you work in a program window.

8. Push the "Alt-tab" keyboard combination to quickly move between the split screen applications without clicking in a particular window. This can speed up repetitive tasks that require moving back and forth between the two programs.

Tore
Old 20-07-2011, 02:52   #899

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: OverViewMap

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurno View Post
Hi.
I'm running OCPN under Ubuntu 11.4 and it has managed to impress several of my sailing friends in Norway
One request I get from people whishing to check it out is to display a different scale map in a plugin window. To have an overview of location in narrow waters.
So I have started looking at the Demo plugin to see if I can manage to get a chart displayed in that frame.
Cheers
lurno...
You did not choose the easiest task Due to the isolation between the plugins and the core, you will have to duplicate quite a lot of code.
The demo plugin source is not updated very regularly, so you probably better start with some of the maintained plugins - the closest to what you will need is probably the Google Earth plugin, as it's also dealing with the chart viewport. The source is available in my github repository as gecomapi branch - https://github.com/nohal/OpenCPN/tree/gecomapi.
Shall you have more questions feel free to ask.

Good luck

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 06:06   #900

Boat: 29'
Re: OverViewMap

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurno View Post
Hi.
Cheers
That's a good idea! ...In the meantime,you (and your friends) can use the Google Earth Plugin as is,for this ,if you have some of the overview area cached..."caching" is well described on the thread somewhere

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...gin-55797.html
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote