Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2024, 13:50   #1

Building TwoCanPlugin for non-raspberry arm64 Linux

I'm trying to bring up OpenCPN on small IMX8PLUS based industrial PC. So far I managed to run OpenCPN, build dshboards, show maps, but now I want to connect to NMEA2K instruments.

This box has embedded CAN interface and I'm able to see N2K messages in Wireshark and candump using native CAN interface ("ip link canE up")
As I understand OpenCPN requires TwoCan to use such interface and receive/send messages there.

TwoCanPlugin doesn't have pre-built version in Debian 12 for arm64 repo, also my attempts to make locally not yet successful (I opened GitHub issue with my progress). Is there easier way to install TwoCanPlugin or use native can interface in OpenCPN on arm64?
navado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2024, 15:29   #2

Re: Building TwoCanPlugin for non-raspberry arm64 Linux

If the candump utility works, then OpenCPN's built-in NMEA 2000 support should also work.

Re TwoCan, builds are done using the Circle CI platform. There are a whole lot of Circle CI build environment settings and shell scripts that configure everything. That may explain why performing a local build without having set up the environment fails. If you want to do local builds makes sure you have set up your build environment according to the plugin developer guidelines.

'll readily admit I have failed to keep the plugin up to date since the release of OpenCPN 5.8.x with the change to a new version of wxWidgets and changes in the build environment. I think there may be some unreleased/unannounced versions in the Cloudsmith repository, but I'm not sure if any are built for your platform, nor have they been tested.
stevead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2024, 03:29   #3

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by navado View Post
I'm trying to bring up OpenCPN on small IMX8PLUS based industrial PC. So far I managed to run OpenCPN, build dshboards, show maps, but now I want to connect to NMEA2K instruments.

This box has embedded CAN interface and I'm able to see N2K messages in Wireshark and candump using native CAN interface ("ip link canE up")
As I understand OpenCPN requires TwoCan to use such interface and receive/send messages there.
You do not need the plugin in your setup, just configure the SocketCAN connection and you are done.
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2024, 22:54   #4

Thanks.
Somehow my can interfaces not shown in OpenCPN, but it's definitely another issue
navado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2024, 18:21   #5

Quote:
Somehow my can interfaces not shown in OpenCPN, but it's definitely another issue
I think it may be a bug in OpenCPN.

I believe it uses a hard coded list for the available can interfaces, so it doesn't recognize your interface canE

Is there any way you can change the name ? Perhaps a udev rule ?

Alternatively, there is an unreleased/unannounced version 2.2 of TwoCan available on the Cloudsmith Repository although I'm not sure which one would be suitable for your hardware platform.

Assuming there is a version for your platform, it should work as it does not use a hardcoded list for the names of CAN bus adapters.
stevead is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
linux, plug, plugin