Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2023, 13:10   #1

Boat: Hanse 348
Best small windows computer for opencpn on the boat

I have B&G new instruments at the helm, but I would like to have opencpn running in the cabin. I already have a 27" monitor mounted on a bulkhead wall that we use to watch videos etc.

I have played around with rasppi opencpn, works greats, but very few people i know can use linux and it would just be easier to run opencpn on a small form factor (SFF) windows computer.

I have used NUCs at work, but these are way too power hungry. Are there any SFF boxes running windows or windows embedded etc. that are close to the size and more importantly the power draw of a pi? Average power consumption of a pi is 10W +/- 5W
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2023, 13:41   #2

Re: Best small windows computer for opencpn on the boat

You could checkout the LattePanda Delta. It’s effectively a laptop cpu in a single board form factor. Power consumption same order of magnitude as the Pi. It’s x86 and can run Windows or Linux.
fregata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2023, 13:43   #3

Boat: Jeanneau - Merry Fisher 925

I'm using this on board with windows 11 (8GB RAM & 128 GB SSD)

for the use on board very useful and in case that haven't mobile data there is the option to purchase with it.
also 12 volts max 3.5 amp
https://www.apcsilmic.com/collection...ts/dot-mini-pc

Roses don't bloom on the sailor's grave
Corsair63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2023, 13:46   #4

Boat: Phantom 19

Those numbers are not achievable with x86 hardware as there are no CPUs with TDP under 10W. The closest to that you can probably get with an ODROID-H3 or H3+. Of course it is very close to a low spec NUC as it is the same hardware, there is no magic trick to make it consume less energy.
Windows can run on RPi4 (not on the new 5, at least not yet), how pleasant that experience would be I have no idea.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2023, 13:52   #5

Boat: Jeanneau - Merry Fisher 925

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Windows can run on RPi4 (not on the new 5, at least not yet), how pleasant that experience would be I have no idea.
I've tried win 10 & 11 ARM64 and you could but there are some drivers not yet available, as Wifi and restricted video support, not a problem to run OCPN windows version, but depending of peripherals and installing on a SSD USB could be some blue screens either power shortages and restarts.
I'm not too confident for using it with windows, I do not consider stable platform RPi4 & Win FTB. (IMO)

Roses don't bloom on the sailor's grave
Corsair63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2023, 15:11   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fregata View Post
You could checkout the LattePanda Delta. It’s effectively a laptop cpu in a single board form factor. Power consumption same order of magnitude as the Pi. It’s x86 and can run Windows or Linux.
Fantastic! Thank you. I did not know about this product at all, looks great. The alpha looks great at $105 but not sure if 2/32gb will be enough to run anything. Will look at getting the 4/64.

Here is the link for those who are interested as well.

https://www.dfrobot.com/product-1404.html
Old 29-12-2023, 20:41   #7

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Fantastic! Thank you. I did not know about this product at all, looks great. The alpha looks great at $105 but not sure if 2/32gb will be enough to run anything. Will look at getting the 4/64.

Here is the link for those who are interested as well.

https://www.dfrobot.com/product-1404.html
You will probably not be happy with the performance of only 4GB of RAM. If I were looking to buy a small as possible PC for OpenCPN, I would look at this:
https://www.amazon.com/Windows-Compu...904010ad0&th=1

I have used them before, and I was surprised how well it works. Stick it on the back of a TV, and add a wireless KB and mouse.
Old 13-04-2024, 14:57   #8

Just to follow uo on this thread, I found this stick PC, not sure they are still in production, but it seems like a great solution that just plugs into a monitor, and only needs a USB connection to power it.

https://www.amazon.com/AKLWY-Windows...CFXMVF18/?th=1

Tags
boat, enc, opencpn, wind