Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2015, 14:05   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Bite/Pimples on my Neck after Cleaning Boat Bottom

Contraman,

If the itch is driving you nuts, try ice packs on it. It was the only thing that worked for me when I had "too many" sand fly bites. Benadryl also helped some, but ice on the affected areas helped most of all.

I'd say your reaction is not from the ablative bottom paint, or you'd have the rash on the rest of your exposed skin, and that's not what you described. Obviously something irritated it, something that you've encountered before. Interesting that the rash is not where swim clothing might have trapped it, just on some areas of exposed skin.

The suggestion, above, to use betadine, I think is excellent. We've used it to prevent skin infections in tropical areas for years, now, and the only tropical skin infection either of us ever had was one scratch that the flies got to before we got back to the boat!. So, keep infection away; take Benedryl for the allergic reaction, and use soothing cream on the itchies, with ice applications as needed to preserve sanity. ;-)

Ann
Old 14-10-2015, 14:36   #17
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Hydrogen peroxide and betadine have been specifically obsoleted and advised AGAINST for a decade now.

The peroxide is actually dangerous for light first aid use, because it kills ALL tissue and that includes the damaged tissue of your wound. Now you have dead tissue, and that forms a great breeding ground for bacteria. A very bad idea, unless you're trying to clean out an axe wound where you just can't get down in there to clean out the dirt and rust. Also, it apparently interferes with the formation of the normal clotting process, so it interrupts healing.

So, peroxide? Only in case of extreme need!

Betadine is almost as bad. While it does no harm, the traditional red color alos perfectly masks any reddening caused by infection, making it hard to tell if the wound is healing properly or going septic. There are other versions, other compounds, that will do just as well without this risk. (That's also why traditional red iodine was kicked out in favor of white iodine.)

You will find Bactine is still lurking around in most US pharmacies, and J&J now makes "Wound wash" and there are several other antibacterial products designed to clean and disinfect wounds, all inexpensively, all without collateral damage. You may have to look twice for them but they all have long shelf lives and some include a little topical anesthetic as well, to make the wound feel better.

Red betadine? No thank you, find me a doctor who has been trained and licensed in THIS century.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 15:47   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Unsuspecting swimmers who pass through an invisible swarm of thimble jellyfish larvae often end up with a nasty, itchy, acne-like rash, usually in the most awkward spots where their bathing suits cling to their bodies.

Scientists believe the stinging larvae can infest warm coastal waters such as in Florida or the Caribbean, particularly when water temperatures read between 76 and 82 degrees Fahrenheit.

From http:// abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=98540
And around these parts.
The rash can itch like crazy and take a looong time to go away.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 14:53   #19

Location: New Mexico and our S/V is in Fort Pierce..hope to be there soon and sailing.
Boat: S/V"KAREN", Pearson Alberg 35. an achilles dingy, 2 kyaks.

Try using apple cider vinegar on the bites, highly recommended by some folks from downunder.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
susanna reiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 20:47   #20

I don't know what it is, but I would go see a doctor if I were you.
Anna09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaning