Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2012, 07:57   #1

Are There Any Ship Accidents That Rescue Teams Were Not Effective To Rescue People ?

my brother is studying to become a ship captain
i was speaking with a pilot and told him that ship captains are like airline pilots so he told me that

"if a ship captain made a mistake or could not handle an emergency he will evacuate passengers in enclosed life rafts and rescue teams will rescue all people

while in aviation pilot mistake can't be taken back and if he could not handle an emergency he can't evacuate anybody and there are no rescue teams in the sky so all people will die
and he can't escape the airplane and leave all people behind like what happned in costa concordia in italy and in el salam 98 in egypt and he told me others but i don't remember them now "

now can a single mistake of a ship captain kill all people before rescue teams can arrive ? did it happen before ?

and i know about titanic but it was like 100 years ago

sorry but he makes me angry
lora20035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 09:25   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Are there any ship accidents that rescue teams were not effective to rescue peopl

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, lora20035.

Your brother makes a good, though not entirely accurate, point. Unfortunately, rescue teams aren’t always available, or able to rescue everyone, in a ship disaster.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_maritime_disasters

Unlock the "bold", and try using punctuation.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 09:48   #3

Re: Are there any ship accidents that rescue teams were not effective to rescue peopl

Hi GordMay....

With regards to the link you posted, my cousin (2nd Mate) went down on the Derbyshire.....

MV Derbyshire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 10:20   #4

you only have to point to the Edmund Fitzgerald or Capt. Sully Sullenberger to prove that it's not an all or nothing thing. Sometimes people survive plane crashes, and sometimes people die on boats...
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rescue