Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2023, 12:28   #1

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40
Zeus 2 dead touchscreen

Hello folks

I have a Zeus 2 that the touchscreen stopped working on. Tried all the usual remedies to no avail. Since the chart plotter still works, I am wondering if anyone knows how to get the radar running using just the buttons?

Thanks
Ron
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 13:42   #2

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]
Re: Zeus 2 dead touchscreen

Ron, One workaround is to push the power button briefly [after the chartplotter is on and booted] to invoke the shortcut window. Then dial the knob to the RADAR button, and push the knob to select.

If you aren’t used to invoking this shortcut window, be aware that it is also a shortcut to dim/brighten the screen. So if your screen blacks-out after pressing the power button, press it again because you may have inadvertently dimmed it to 10% brightness…

Regarding the primary issue of the touch screen not reacting to touch, have you tried reloading the firmware? I have had success resurrecting bricked Navionics hardware in years past by doing just this.

I’m crossing fingers for you.

Cheers, Bill

PS: I FORGOT TO MENTION THE FIRST THING TO CHECK: THE TOUCH SCREEN LOCKOUT [‘Touch Lock’] BUTTON IN THE SHORTCUT WINDOW [upper right in window]… MAKE SURE IT ISN’T ACTIVATED…
Old 12-11-2023, 13:54   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
Ron, One workaround is to push the power button briefly [after the chartplotter is on and booted] to invoke the shortcut window. Then dial the knob to the RADAR button, and push the knob to select.

If you aren’t used to invoking this shortcut window, be aware that it is also a shortcut to dim/brighten the screen. So if your screen blacks-out after pressing the power button, press it again because you may have inadvertently dimmed it to 10% brightness…

Regarding the primary issue of the touch screen not reacting to touch, have you tried reloading the firmware? I have had success resurrecting bricked Navionics hardware in years past by doing just this.

I’m crossing fingers for you.

Cheers, Bill

Have you tried accessing and making use of the Zeus using a smartphone app on your phone or ipad or other tablet?

That was one of the main reasons I upgraded to the Navico stuff.. so I can have access below and at helm without additional MFD's
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 14:11   #4

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Bill - I did loose the screen for a while. I re-loaded the firmware and did try the shortcut window method both to no avail. I also re-calibrated the touch screen - zilch.

I had tried the app on my iPad last year but couldn't run it as my older iPad is running an out of date IOS and can't take the newer upgrades. ... But it turns out I can run the app on my phone which is newer, so I do have a way to utilize the Zeus 2 unit, albeit in a cumbersome way.

Thanks both for the input
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 14:22   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeys Kitchen View Post
Bill - I did loose the screen for a while. I re-loaded the firmware and did try the shortcut window method both to no avail. I also re-calibrated the touch screen - zilch.

I had tried the app on my iPad last year but couldn't run it as my older iPad is running an out of date IOS and can't take the newer upgrades. ... But it turns out I can run the app on my phone which is newer, so I do have a way to utilize the Zeus 2 unit, albeit in a cumbersome way.

Thanks both for the input
yee haa!!

it may be less expensive to get yourself a certified refurbished ipad from apple (I prefer the apple ecosystem) that comes with as new warranty. from apple. but has been kitted out with new battery, and ensured that there are no issues.

just less money: https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished

a new tablet will probably be less expensive then fixing your mfd..
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 14:27   #6

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

I’m glad to hear the remote app works for you.

It is interesting that the rotating knob doesn’t function on the short cut screen for selecting- and pressing- the soft buttons. It sounds like more than the touch screen has been affected.

I have Zeus2’s as well and will continue to research in an attempt to assist, and more selfishly as a personal hedge against the future….

Hang in there.

Cheers, Bill
Old 12-11-2023, 15:13   #7

Boat: Hullmaster 27

I thought this couldn't be hard, so I fired up the plotter and ... I couldn't find any way to access the "three lines" menu in the top right without touching the screen ... once the button has been touched on the screen, all the options are available with the physical buttons. There just seems to be no way to access the menu without the touchscreen.

Given that the touchscreen is often fairly useless when the screen is wet, or with gloved hands, this seems to be a fairly fundamental flaw.

sorry I can't help.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
screen