Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2022, 07:27   #16

Location: Boynton Beach, Florida. Cruising Bahamas through Spring 2024
Boat: Manta 40
Re: Yellowbrick - am I looking at the most affordable iridium tracking and messaging?

We’ve used a family member onshore to send long Zoleo to Zoleo app text weather updates (950+ characters) and it works but obviously is manual.

OCENS also offers Spotcast Weather for $10 monthly and has Snaptrack for tracking also at $10 monthly. $20 activation. I don’t know if you can send automatic position updates from the Zoleo. We used both services for a trip to the Dry Tortugas and they worked fine. Note that Zoleo breaks the forecast into many messages so you’ll need to be on their unlimited if you’ll need lots of ocean forecast data. And at that point, you’d likely be better with one of OCENS or PredictWind other products.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2022, 10:33   #17

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: Yellowbrick - am I looking at the most affordable iridium tracking and messaging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
I often find myself out of cell coverage even on land that made me aware of satellite trackers.

I knew about the Garmin InReach that would be a perfect match to my watch (can be remote controlled by the cheapest Instinct watches) but all the activation and "enrollment" fees don't make it exactly cheap if I use it only 2-3 months a year.

Came across the Yellowbrick, that uses the same Iridium constellation, 12+7£ already puts me on the chart with no hidden fees, unspent credits roll over for 12 months. I know, the device is more expensive, but Garmin's £35 "annual tax" on their Freedom plan will quickly make up the difference...

Any experience with the kit? Also appears to have far more battery life than the inReach mini 2, actually could be used to track an abandoned boat.
I have no experience with the current models. Yellowbrick has been in this marketplace longer than either inreach or spot. They might have been the first. They are the tracker of choice for many ocean races and rallies. Part of what sets them apart for that market is the mapping aspect geared for racing, showing race stats, and/or delaying the display for some number of hours.

I used one in the Pacific Cup in 2018. The device was much more sturdy and robust than an inreach. It had a battery time of about a month. There was a case/bracket to mount it on the stern pushpit. The race committee was able to remotely control it, turn it on/off, or change the tracking frequency.

Tags
iridium, tracking