Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 14:28   #1

wiring raymarine/gps and computer

Hi All,

I need some help with wiring the right way all the instruments on my (new to me) boat.

Here is what I have:

raymarine AP
raymarine ST60 speed/wind/depth
raymarine neam/seatalk box
garmin gps
radar
Icom 802 ssb
Noland multiplexer, here is the link (http://nolandeng.com/downloads/man41.PDF)

what I am trying to do is have my laptop with nobeltec connected to AP and st60 plus have gps signal to radar and ssb radio.

I don't have much knowlage with this so would appriciate a step by step instructions. I have all the seatalk connected and working and also have the cable from the multiplexer to the computer (TX/RX/com).

I need help with where to connect the signal from the GPS and how to connect the raymarine box (Raymarine Marine Electronics - PC-SeaTalk-NMEA Interface Box)

Thanks,

Mike
wingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 15:40   #2

Re: wiring raymarine/gps and computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingover View Post
Hi All,

I need some help with wiring the right way all the instruments on my (new to me) boat.

Here is what I have:

raymarine AP
raymarine ST60 speed/wind/depth
raymarine neam/seatalk box
garmin gps
radar
Icom 802 ssb
Noland multiplexer, here is the link (http://nolandeng.com/downloads/man41.PDF)

what I am trying to do is have my laptop with nobeltec connected to AP and st60 plus have gps signal to radar and ssb radio.

I don't have much knowlage with this so would appriciate a step by step instructions. I have all the seatalk connected and working and also have the cable from the multiplexer to the computer (TX/RX/com).

I need help with where to connect the signal from the GPS and how to connect the raymarine box (Raymarine Marine Electronics - PC-SeaTalk-NMEA Interface Box)

Thanks,

Mike
This is hard to do mentally without having the devices in front of me, but I think gps out to noland in. noland out to ray nema box is all you need to do. All of the ray stuff should be done with seatalk after the nema box.

and you can do a second separate connection GPS out to radar and radio in.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 15:48   #3

Hi xymotic,

Thanks for the reply. will this setup control the AP to follow waypoints on the nobeltec (PC)?

when you say second connection to radio and radar, do you mean from the GPS or multiplexer?
wingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 15:53   #4

you can actually do it either way. Just straight from the GPS. the GPS can talk to 3 or 4 other devices.

or you can take the out from the noland and send it to the ray box, radar AND radio.

I also forgot you need a connection from the seatalk box out to a second noland in, that will get depth and heading info to the PC.
Old 05-06-2012, 15:56   #5

you might also duplicate the seatalk out to the GPS in which will give you depth on the GPS.

Just be methodical, do it one link at a time. If you add something and it messes up a previously working part of the network then troubleshoot
Old 05-06-2012, 15:57   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

As per Ray manual.

GPS signal via NMEA IN onto Ray box. This will provide Ray instruments / AP with GPS data.

PC onto the box via OUT for PC listening (nav data, pos, etc.), via the box's IN for sending (e.g. WPTs to the AP).

Now the radar may be able to pick up the WPT data and pos data from the box's NMEA OUT.

Hold on as other's may have more personal insights.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 16:06   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
As per Ray manual.

GPS signal via NMEA IN onto Ray box. This will provide Ray instruments / AP with GPS data.

PC onto the box via OUT for PC listening (nav data, pos, etc.), via the box's IN for sending (e.g. WPTs to the AP).

Now the radar may be able to pick up the WPT data and pos data from the box's NMEA OUT.

Hold on as other's may have more personal insights.

b.
I don't think you can have two talkers (GPS and multiplexor) on one listener (seatalk box in)

And yes as I said the radar and radio can come straight from GPS or the multiplex, and MAYBE the seatalk box (but I kinda doubt the seatalk box will repeat something input back out the output)
Old 05-06-2012, 16:57   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
I don't think you can have two talkers (GPS and multiplexor) on one listener (seatalk box in)
That's because I am not clear what the multiplexer is doing there.

If GPS goes into Ray box NMEA IN then what is the multiplexer doing in the set up?

OP?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring