Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2019, 15:04   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Wirie WiFi extender help

Gladly. The FB group has not accepted my join last time I checked.

Problem:
When trying to log onto Wirie I get “incorrect password.” Sometimes it’s intermittent, this time it was not, could not get on for hours.
IPhone shows no other hot spots.

Analysis and fix:
Another hot spot is transmitting in the same channel and interfering with the Wiries ability to communicate to the iPhone.
Stand as close as needed/possible to the Wirie and try to log on. If successful change the network settings to a different channel.
I’d did, it worked right off.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 15:28   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Gladly. The FB group has not accepted my join last time I checked.

Problem:
When trying to log onto Wirie I get “incorrect password.” Sometimes it’s intermittent, this time it was not, could not get on for hours.
IPhone shows no other hot spots.

Analysis and fix:
Another hot spot is transmitting in the same channel and interfering with the Wiries ability to communicate to the iPhone.
Stand as close as needed/possible to the Wirie and try to log on. If successful change the network settings to a different channel.
I’d did, it worked right off.
I just approved you...
Old 02-01-2019, 17:10   #18

Boat: Currently in between

How does Aliv compare with Google Fi, if anyone knows. I was looking at the Fi as it is unlimited talk, text and data in something like 170 countries. A fellow cruiser had one in the Bahamas last season and he had no problems in the islands.
Old 02-01-2019, 17:15   #19
Marine Service Provider

Aliv is Bahamas specific. Google Fi is US based but offering very good International roaming. If you were travelling to multiple places, based in the US, and wanted one solution, then Google Fi would be a good option. With a single phone, you get 15GB of data per month for $80/Month. After 15GB it will slow down but is still usable. You can opt to pay $10/GB for the higher speed when you exceed 15GB, or just wait until the next month to reset to full speed again.

If you have two phones, it's $135/Month for up to 15GB on EACH phone.

You can get free data SIMs as an addon to your phone service. The SIM card itself is free, shipped for free, and have no additional month charge. You can put that sim into a Cellular Router, tablet, etc and the data use just comes from your phones plan.
Old 02-01-2019, 17:25   #20

Easy Peasy, turn off power, turn on power wait 60 seconds, take wifi router out of box, under top pice of Velcro there is wifi rest button. Use paper clip and press in hole for ten seconds. On computer goto thewirie.com. Password is admin login is admin. If you have a problem email me at lgrock@me.com also try this link http://www.thewirie.com/support/kb/faq.php?id=22
lookinggoodrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 18:15   #21

Boat: Privilege P43

Does anyone have experience with GlobalStar's Sat-Fi2?
emcmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 19:14   #22
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcmia View Post
Does anyone have experience with GlobalStar's Sat-Fi2?
What do you want to know.. I have one ( and sell them ). It's not perfect for everyone but it might work well depending on your needs.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:10   #23

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-TechSystems View Post
Aliv is Bahamas specific. Google Fi is US based but offering very good International roaming. If you were travelling to multiple places, based in the US, and wanted one solution, then Google Fi would be a good option. With a single phone, you get 15GB of data per month for $80/Month. After 15GB it will slow down but is still usable. You can opt to pay $10/GB for the higher speed when you exceed 15GB, or just wait until the next month to reset to full speed again.

If you have two phones, it's $135/Month for up to 15GB on EACH phone.

You can get free data SIMs as an addon to your phone service. The SIM card itself is free, shipped for free, and have no additional month charge. You can put that sim into a Cellular Router, tablet, etc and the data use just comes from your phones plan.
Thanks for that info Richard. I was about to pull the trigger on the Fi then read here about Aliv. Now that I know the difference I will move forward with the Fi.

Cheers!
Old 03-01-2019, 08:25   #24

Boat: Beneteau 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I have a WiriePro, for years it has worked fine. Today I can’t log on “incorrect password”. I’ve had this off and on for a while, but it usually resolves itself in a few minutes. Not today.

I send an email for support but——I get an auto reply—- out of business, on your own.

1- any help getting this thing back working would be GREATLY appreciated

2- I need a replacement. I’m in St Martin for another 2 weeks or so but I need to get a permanent fix for this. Any suggestions on a replacement?

Many thanks.
Have you looked at Skyroam Solis?
wfetter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tender, wifi