Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2023, 11:52   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CHB/MT D/C Trawler, 34'
Re: Which Starlink receiver?

We have the RV plan, and got the nasty letter when we got 50 miles offshore. I did not upgrade and it works fine running at 6, 7 knots if we are in open water I shut it off.

Rectangular dish.
Moosemiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 05:42   #32

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Does anybody know a good app that counts your data useage reliable.
The SL data page is a nightmare and not accurate at all.
CaptainRivet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 05:44   #33

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
Does anybody know a good app that counts your data useage reliable.
The SL data page is a nightmare and not accurate at all.
You are going to need to use your own router one which tracks data usage. An app alone is not going to be able to see all traffic across all devices. The pepwave travel routers have a nice dashboard showing data usage. If you have multiple wan connections (like starlink + cellular) it will break it out across connections.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 06:31   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statistical View Post
You are going to need to use your own router one which tracks data usage. An app alone is not going to be able to see all traffic across all devices. The pepwave travel routers have a nice dashboard showing data usage. If you have multiple wan connections (like starlink + cellular) it will break it out across connections.
I already have a very good router but wait since 7 weeks for the f... ethernet adapter so i can finally use it properly.
Just looked up, has a good trafic reporting page and i can even issue warnings bases on useage, limit traffic or block it after xx GB, perfect :-)

Well i do by by getting that via Wlan the starlink and then router clones that and distribute that as its own wifi, reduces speed but works.
Old 29-05-2023, 15:08   #35

Boat: SeaRay Sundancer 300

Hello, I just ordered my Roam Starlink for my boat. What hardware did you use for your boat? What do i need?
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2023, 15:34   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
Hello, I just ordered my Roam Starlink for my boat. What hardware did you use for your boat? What do i need?
Conversion to DC and your own router.
I like the version everlander is using
https://youtu.be/RlENmAikSQQ
Either cut cable or buy the starlink ethernet adapter to use your own router. The starlink router sucks its a power honk and because you have no ports and you cannot customize it in any way eg fix IP adresses or port forwarding to eg have nmea data wireless for navionics tablet etc.

I would also cut back of dishy incl. motors off and mount it flat. Plenty tutorials around doing that.
Old 29-05-2023, 16:33   #37

Boat: Outremer 55L
Which Starlink receiver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
Conversion to DC and your own router.
I like the version everlander is using
https://youtu.be/RlENmAikSQQ
Either cut cable or buy the starlink ethernet adapter to use your own router. The starlink router sucks its a power honk and because you have no ports and you cannot customize it in any way eg fix IP adresses or port forwarding to eg have nmea data wireless for navionics tablet etc.

I would also cut back of dishy incl. motors off and mount it flat. Plenty tutorials around doing that.

You can do all that, but you don’t need to do any of it. The Mobile (previously Roam, previously RV) hardware (dishy and wifi router) are perfectly fine to use as-is as long as you have available AC power. In-motion use at sailboat speeds is not a problem. Opt-in mobile priority data is all that’s needed if you sail beyond the land cells (in our experience dishy seems to orient itself flat when using mobile priority data).

However, we do have a boat router and the Starlink signal from the Starlink router is just another Internet source. Unless you have very simple needs and only want an Internet signal, the Starlink router on its own is not sufficient.

Edit: we also bought the Starlink pipe adapter so that we could mount dishy above the level of our boom. Others have used fishing rod holders or PVC pipes to do the same. A permanent installation with minimal obstructions is helpful for consistent signal.

While it’s perfectly fine to use the supplied stand and just place it on deck and move it around as the boat swings, you will probably need to put it away while sailing. What you don’t want to be doing is frequently plugging and unplugging the cable at the dish - that connection is a weak spot.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2023, 16:51   #38

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Officially the only dish which can be used in motion is the high performance flat panel.

BUT unofficially at least so far at sailboat speeds the standard dish works fine.

(Note there actually is no Roam/RV dish it is just standard dish)
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2023, 17:39   #39

Boat: Beneteau 461
Send a message via Skype™ to suiramor

Quote:
Attached is a photo of my current installation. I bought Starlink's ground installation pole (using just the top part here) and some brackets for car body customization to attach it to my railing. My initial plan is to use in coastal waters, while on anchor so will wait with disabling the motor and make the dish flat till I know how it behaves as is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Starlink mast.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	301.1 KB
ID:	276005  
suiramor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2023, 22:45   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
You can do all that, but you don’t need to do any of it. The Mobile (previously Roam, previously RV) hardware (dishy and wifi router) are perfectly fine to use as-is as long as you have available AC power. In-motion use at sailboat speeds is not a problem. Opt-in mobile priority data is all that’s needed if you sail beyond the land cells (in our experience dishy seems to orient itself flat when using mobile priority data).

However, we do have a boat router and the Starlink signal from the Starlink router is just another Internet source. Unless you have very simple needs and only want an Internet signal, the Starlink router on its own is not sufficient.

Edit: we also bought the Starlink pipe adapter so that we could mount dishy above the level of our boom. Others have used fishing rod holders or PVC pipes to do the same. A permanent installation with minimal obstructions is helpful for consistent signal.

While it’s perfectly fine to use the supplied stand and just place it on deck and move it around as the boat swings, you will probably need to put it away while sailing. What you don’t want to be doing is frequently plugging and unplugging the cable at the dish - that connection is a weak spot.
Well the dishy + inverter sucks constant 120W+× from your bank. That sums up during a 24h day especially if you have a whole cloudy week.
Running on DC makes roughly 1/3 as you can switch off inverter and minimize conversation losses.
Mounting it flat without motors mimizing downtime and helps a to get unobstructed view. Having it eg flat next to solar panels doesn't create shade while having it on the pole and angled dish does.
Old 29-05-2023, 22:48   #41

Quote:

Well the dishy + inverter sucks constant 120W+× from your bank. That sums up during a 24h day especially if you have a whole cloudy week.
Running on DC makes roughly 1/3 as you can switch off inverter and minimize conversation losses.
Tought my inverter runs anyhow 24/7 but there is actually no need for it and starlink keeps it from going into standby mode. So DC conversation is a big plus.
Mounting it flat without motors mimizing downtime and helps a to get unobstructed view. Having it eg flat next to solar panels doesn't create shade while having it on the pole and angled dish does.
Old 29-05-2023, 23:55   #42

There is a cruiser here who has 2 RV dishes running simultaniously, one hacked flat and one original. He proofed that the hacked flat has less outages and less package losses. It also helps when rocking and rolling around to keep connection or faster reconnect...the martime dishy is flat too...
Just wanna mention that for the ones think the hack flat is just an optical thingy...its not.
Also in motion a cat is much better for the RV dishy.
depending on sea state the mono needs the flat in-motion dishy with the larger antenna area as its constant heel (+change) in combo with wave presents to much movement for the RV dishy and has a lot outages while a cat gets away with a RV dishy has permanent reception.
Observation from my cat FP Lavezzi and my buddy boat a 44ft Dufour mono with performance rigg. Well he can sail 20 degress to wind, i am happy doing 45...
Old 30-05-2023, 00:07   #43

Quote:

Sure you can run as out of the box with a fishing pole holder but you have to live with a lot of downsides.
Well the dishy + inverter sucks constant 120W+× from your bank. That sums up during a 24h day especially if you have a whole cloudy week. Have 1100AH LFP bank and 2kw solar, so enough power but 1 week cloudy the starlink was the power honk that after 3 days i started shutting it off manualny to save power and qhut off inverter...now on DC no problem running 24/7 under same conditions.
Tought my inverter runs anyhow 24/7 but there is actually no need for it and starlink keeps it from going into standby mode. So DC conversation is a big plus.
Old 15-07-2023, 06:53   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosemiester View Post
We have the RV plan, and got the nasty letter when we got 50 miles offshore. I did not upgrade and it works fine running at 6, 7 knots if we are in open water I shut it off.

How far offshore does it still work? Does the RV plan tend to work at anchor?
Gruust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2023, 15:56   #45

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruust View Post
How far offshore does it still work? Does the RV plan tend to work at anchor?

As far as you like within your registered continent - just opt-in to Mobile Priority Data and it works on ocean areas.

Yes, works at anchor (why wouldn’t it?). Sometimes short drop outs as the boat swings and the mast gets in the way of whatever satellite it’s tracking. With Mobile Priority Data the dish stays horizontal, which seems to result in a more consistent connection.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote