Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2021, 10:02   #1

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
VHF Raymarine RAY60 receives but is not sending, splitter with AIS transponder work

Hi all,
The VHF Raymarine RAy 60 on my newly acquired cat is receiving but not sending anything out. It’s connect via a Antenna splitter with the HA-102 Matsutec AIS Transponder which is fully working&sending, so antenna should be working correctly. Tried connecting the VHF directly to antenna without the splitter, no change on VHF.

What else can I check? I reset the VHF too, no change.
I only hear some squelch on the lowest level, one level higher it’s already dead silent beside the communication of ships coming into the Harbour is super clear.
But I cannot make any call, nothing goes out....
VHF was put in 2 years ago but never used (so basically new) like the whole cat. Was working fine on the sea trial when surveyor check it.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2021, 16:31   #2

Boat: Swarbrick S-80
Re: VHF Raymarine RAY60 receives but is not sending, splitter with AIS transponder wo

Narrowing down your trouble shooting:

Ask a neighbour if they’re receiving your carrier signal.

Borrow a VHF and plug it into your antenna and see if that works.

Try a different microphone.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 16:20   #3

Re: VHF Raymarine RAY60 receives but is not sending, splitter with AIS transponder wo

sounds like either a bad mic or bad radio if the antenna direct does not work but works with ais. what is the antenna SWR reading in the AIS software?

get someone near by on handheld etc. see if they hear the mic clicks. if they do could be a bad mic if no voice. if nothing coming out could be bad ptt switch or radio.

good to have an SWR meter too see if you are putting power out.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, marine, raymarine, vhf, work