Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2018, 08:15   #1

Value of Navtex

I know that Navtex is outdated technology compared to sat phones and HF weather that's available today, but does it have value on the modern cruising boat? The coverage area in the North Atlantic is actually quite good (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Navtex_stations) and it seems like Navtex can at least serve as a reliable back up WX source. Curious to hear other thoughts before making an investment (Furuno NX-300).
jls095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 12:40   #2

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Value of Navtex

jls,
Actually NAVTEX is a integral part of the GMDSS and, in my opinion, isn't outdated at all! (it's a legal requirement for all SOLAS vessels and all merchant vessels on int'l voyages....as are some other parts of the GMDSS, depending on where the vessels are voyaging)

But, you need to understand what it is designed to do...as it is not designed and does not function as hi-seas/offshore weather source w/ long-term forecasts...(that is what the GMDSS "SafetyNET" broadcasts are for, as well as HF-WeFax.)

NAVTEX was designed to provide coastal / near-offshore waters, short-term (24 - 48 hrs) weather info and forecasts....covering Sea Area A2.
Out to 200 miles offshore.
And, it functions quite well in that regard!

FYI, in the Med, North Sea, etc., NAVTEX on-board is ubiquitous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jls095 View Post
I know that Navtex is outdated technology compared to sat phones and HF weather that's available today, but does it have value on the modern cruising boat? The coverage area in the North Atlantic is actually quite good (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Navtex_stations) and it seems like Navtex can at least serve as a reliable back up WX source. Curious to hear other thoughts before making an investment (Furuno NX-300).
You may want to further investigate the GMDSS and NAVTEX's part in it...(not sure I'd recommend Wikipedia though....why not use the USCG, NMW/NOAA, or UK Met Office, etc. for your sources??)

NAVTEX
GMDSS

FYI, not sure where you are located??? But, if you're USA-based, you're obviously aware that the NWS/NOAA VHF Weather stations pre-date NAVTEX, and every boater in the US knows them well....and as such, most US sailors have grown up using NOAA Weather Radio on their VHF, and most US-based pleasure boaters never even looked info NAVTEX...
BUT...

But, the good news is, if you are USA-based, the US NWS/NOAA provides quite detailed forecasts over NAVTEX, and they are more long-term (typ 3 to 5 day forecasts) than most other nations' NAVTEX broadcast (1 to 2 day forecasts), so if you're coastal-cruising, or just a quick jaunt to Bahamas, etc. NAVTEX from the US is very useful!!

BTW, one of the key concepts of the GMDSS is absolute reliability, and ease of use (even by untrained personnel)....VHF-DSC, VHF-FM, MF/HF-DSC, MF/HF-SSB, MF/HF-SITOR, NAVTEX, INMARSAT-C, SART, etc., are all designed to be extremely reliable and allow redundancy...
If you wish to know, more, just ask...

Now, if you're heading across an ocean, etc. or in far remote locales, then of course you're going to want HF WeFax, etc....but, that doesn't mean that NAVTEX is outdated.

Hope this helps.

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 13:09   #3

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

For weather in Europe i would get something like nasa weaterman instead of buying a navtex receiver.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 14:43   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
jls,
Actually NAVTEX is a integral part of the GMDSS and, in my opinion, isn't outdated at all!
Thanks John! Really helpful. I guess I'm surprised that more cruising boats don't have Navtex in the US. I'm based in Boston and it seems like it would be a good tool to have for cruising Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Labrador and even a trip to Bermuda. It seems to fill a void between VHF broadcast forecasts (limited to 50ish miles offshore) and the need for a sat phone I also have a HF transceiver.
jls095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 05:01   #5

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Wow, I haven't heard anyone speak of NAVTEX since the 90's! Not really surprised that its not used in North America. Quick look around doesn't really have anyone other than Amazon even selling receivers.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2018, 11:08   #6

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Many old boats has a NAVTEX receiver in Europe but I doubt they sell many new. Development seems to have stopped as well, the ones I see for sale now are the same ones as I remember from 10 years ago.
Mine has been broken for a few years, I have no plans to replace it.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote