Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2023, 19:42   #1

Two Raymarine E120's but only 1 showing scanner info

Here is the scoop. I have two Raymarine E120's (let's name them Unit A and Unit B) and Raydome. In the original setup, Unit A was set as master running firmware v5.69 and Unit B was slave with older version (don't remember wich one). All was good with Unit A showing scan data from scanner.

Current setup is Unit B flashed to updated firmware v5.69 and set as master with Unit A as slave. Unit B does not show any scan data from scanner. Occassionally, it will show some blips here and there but nothing like it Unit A.

After flashing Unit B, I've made sure to keep all of the same scanner settings that Unit A had. One thing that is odd is that in the original setup, the Radar Setup Menu of Unit A lists the scanner as '2kW Radome E02013 1280169' and in the current setup, Unit B lists the scanner as '2kW Radome E02013 075103'.

Anybody know what is going on?
3xLimits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2023, 06:01   #2

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058
Re: Two Raymarine E120's but only 1 showing scanner info

I think the last digit in the list text is the Serial Number. So makes sense that B shows a different number (i.e. that of A).

So each now has same firmware? And I assume you are using a Raymarine switch? Has that been updated or changed at all?
Old 24-11-2023, 11:19   #3

Wouldn't the scanner serial number be the same as displayed from either Unit A or B? In any event, yes, both MFDs have the same firmware and are connected to Raymarine switch.

One thing to note is that I am merely swapping the positions of Unit A and B (e.g., from Pilothouse to Cockpit and vice versa) so the wiring remains unchanged. Must be something with the MFD...so I suspect.
Old 27-11-2023, 12:21   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45

Couple things first off..

E02013 is the E120 itself. So the device list is showing that the radar is coming from the E120 "E02013" with the referenced ID. That's why it changes, because the info is referring to one of the two displays..

That said, how does the radar physically connect to the displays? Is with a large multi pin cable connected to the back of one display? (analog) or is it through an ethernet cable, and an Ethernet switch (Raymarine SeaTalkHS switch is usually a grey box with 8 ethernet ports in it)(digital).

Assuming it's analog, you'd need to ensure that whichever display has the physical radar connected to it is the master. And then verify that the ethernet (SeaTalkHS) cable between the two E120's is in good condition and connected securely.

If it's digital, then the radar, and both E120's will have an Ethernet (SeaTalkHS) cable connected to the SeaTalkHS switch. The switch needs power, and all 3 cables need to be securely connected and in good condition.

So.. Verify how it's all connected first.. if it's analog, make sure the master is the one with the radar connected directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3xLimits View Post
Here is the scoop. I have two Raymarine E120's (let's name them Unit A and Unit B) and Raydome. In the original setup, Unit A was set as master running firmware v5.69 and Unit B was slave with older version (don't remember wich one). All was good with Unit A showing scan data from scanner.

Current setup is Unit B flashed to updated firmware v5.69 and set as master with Unit A as slave. Unit B does not show any scan data from scanner. Occassionally, it will show some blips here and there but nothing like it Unit A.

After flashing Unit B, I've made sure to keep all of the same scanner settings that Unit A had. One thing that is odd is that in the original setup, the Radar Setup Menu of Unit A lists the scanner as '2kW Radome E02013 1280169' and in the current setup, Unit B lists the scanner as '2kW Radome E02013 075103'.

Anybody know what is going on?
Old 05-12-2023, 17:07   #5

Based on your info below, the Radar would be Analog and connects directly to the back of the E120 and Unit B did have the radar cable connected to it directly and set to Master so very strange how it can't display the information like Unit A can when I just swap them out. What could it be? Clueless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-TechSystems View Post
Couple things first off..

E02013 is the E120 itself. So the device list is showing that the radar is coming from the E120 "E02013" with the referenced ID. That's why it changes, because the info is referring to one of the two displays..

That said, how does the radar physically connect to the displays? Is with a large multi pin cable connected to the back of one display? (analog) or is it through an ethernet cable, and an Ethernet switch (Raymarine SeaTalkHS switch is usually a grey box with 8 ethernet ports in it)(digital).

Assuming it's analog, you'd need to ensure that whichever display has the physical radar connected to it is the master. And then verify that the ethernet (SeaTalkHS) cable between the two E120's is in good condition and connected securely.

If it's digital, then the radar, and both E120's will have an Ethernet (SeaTalkHS) cable connected to the SeaTalkHS switch. The switch needs power, and all 3 cables need to be securely connected and in good condition.

So.. Verify how it's all connected first.. if it's analog, make sure the master is the one with the radar connected directly.
Old 05-12-2023, 17:20   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45

So if you swap it back to the way it started, it works okay? It's only if you try to reverse the way it was originally that it doesn't work?

If that's the case it could be something bad in Unit B's radar circuitry, or power supply (internally, or low voltage coming in). If the voltage is too low the radar will have issues working properly.

Otherwise, I don't know the actualy cause of you issue. If one unit works and the other doesn't, same model, same firmware, same cable/radar, etc, then it's likely a bad circuit in the non-working unit.
Old 05-12-2023, 20:17   #7

Correct. The reason for swapping is that the backlight in Unit A goes out every so often. Thanks for your insight. I appreciate it. Will look into an upgrade soon so will live with it for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-TechSystems View Post
So if you swap it back to the way it started, it works okay? It's only if you try to reverse the way it was originally that it doesn't work?

If that's the case it could be something bad in Unit B's radar circuitry, or power supply (internally, or low voltage coming in). If the voltage is too low the radar will have issues working properly.

Otherwise, I don't know the actualy cause of you issue. If one unit works and the other doesn't, same model, same firmware, same cable/radar, etc, then it's likely a bad circuit in the non-working unit.

Tags
raymarine, marine