Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2013, 13:07   #16

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana
Re: Standard Horizon GX2150 reviews

Best dang radio for the money anywhere!
The next version might have a MUX and USB connectors built in.
Old 21-10-2013, 17:47   #17

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tynesider View Post

Here in the UK I have a SH GX2100E working with my SH 300i plotter for the AIS and very pleased with it.

Like you 'may' add a transponder to it at a later date, but have you looked at 'what transponder' and how would you link it in?
I really like the looks of the vesper marine stuff, something like the watch mate 850. I don't plan to tie it in with anything else, and will set up another VHF antenna on the arch. The Standard 2150 provides some redundancy and the easy DSC call functions in the cockpit, and hopefully one day will talk to my plotter. With the 2150, I'm pretty sure that it recognizes your MMSI, avoiding proximity alarm issues.

Procrastination can pay off buying into technology. I'm in no hurry but need it before any more singlehanded passages. Really important to be seen and allow other captains to reach us via DSC.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 23:49   #18

Boat: Roberts 45

We too have the GX2100 and are very pleased with same. Targets displayed on the Navnet on both chart and radar display and no problem with loosing them. I use the stand-alone gps to supply position to the GX. The one criticism is the relatively poor audio compared to our Icom 601.

John
Jonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 05:50   #19

Boat: Colvic Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonty View Post
We too have the GX2100 and are very pleased with same. Targets displayed on the Navnet on both chart and radar display and no problem with loosing them. I use the stand-alone gps to supply position to the GX. The one criticism is the relatively poor audio compared to our Icom 601.

John
Hi John

Funny as I have to turn my GX2100e radio down as it is 'too loud' at times and the reception sound quality is also good.

I 'assume' your aerial is also ontop of the main mast as is mine so you should also always get good reception, other than that I can not suggest anything else other than check any deck connections and the one at the back of the radio are good.

Archivist for the Colvic Watson Owners Group
Tynesider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 06:13   #20
cruiser

We like ours, installed 5 months ago and use all the features including hailer, AIS hooked up to small Garmin to monitor only AIS; the remote RAAM 3 unit in the cockpit is very handy. The only issue, the unit is currently back at the Standard Horizon service center for repairs; the squeltch doesn't work properly, unable to squeltch long range chatter especially on CH 16 & 9. The service center says I only needed to reset the unit (whatever that means), hopefully, that's all that's wrong.

Note: The RAAM 3 cockpit remote is awesome. I can use the radio, view AIS signals, view GPS and speed, time, hail, everything while lounging in the cockpit underway.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 22:48   #21

Boat: Roberts 45

I meant audio quality. The Icom has much better sound quality and is louder, size of speaker I guess.

John
Jonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 14:36   #22

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptFrankM View Post
Actually, it works very well as a foghorn, especially if you need to sound the horn repeatedly. What I meant was that it didn't work well for "regular" horn uses. For example, one blast or two blast passing signals, a prolonged blast at blind corners and the five blast danger signal. It's OK if you are already in PA horn mode, but if you need the horn in a hurry, it's significantly faster to grab a compressed air horn than to try to change from radio mode to PA mode.
I can see that happening in a restricted channel or harbour during fog or mist Switch the SH to PA for voice and horn, and use a handheld for VHF monitoring...in such conditions you wouldn't need a lot of range if you are just contacting a lift bridge operator or a harbourmaster.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 14:38   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post
I really like the looks of the vesper marine stuff, something like the watch mate 850. I don't plan to tie it in with anything else, and will set up another VHF antenna on the arch. The Standard 2150 provides some redundancy and the easy DSC call functions in the cockpit, and hopefully one day will talk to my plotter. With the 2150, I'm pretty sure that it recognizes your MMSI, avoiding proximity alarm issues.

Procrastination can pay off buying into technology. I'm in no hurry but need it before any more singlehanded passages. Really important to be seen and allow other captains to reach us via DSC.
This is very much my game plan. I would have a separate AIS tuned antenna for the Vesper, however, and the usual VHF for the "broader frequency range" of the SH base unit.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 30-10-2013, 14:38   #24

I've had mine since they first came out, got the remote mic as well. Love it, couldn't be happier.

I bought a stand alone black box transponder as well.

Live Ships Map - AIS - Vessel Traffic and Positions
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 16:52   #25

Boat: a sailing boat

We have a 2100. We love it. 2150 is an improved iteration of 2100.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 18:48   #26

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I can see that happening in a restricted channel or harbour during fog or mist Switch the SH to PA for voice and horn, and use a handheld for VHF monitoring...in such conditions you wouldn't need a lot of range if you are just contacting a lift bridge operator or a harbourmaster.
Do you lose AIS function when in loud hailer mode? I mean to say, do you lose the targets on the command mic display? That would not be cool, if one is using the native display for AIS function.

If not, using the handheld is a great alternative in a situation like this.

I'm not the only one who feels like the command mic cable is just a little short, and a little stiff. But it works.

I really want a loud hailer for safety. Not really. I want to have some fun with it
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 19:03   #27

Quote:
Do you lose AIS function when in loud hailer mode? I mean to say, do you lose the targets on the command mic display? That would not be cool, if one is using the native display for AIS function.

I'm not the only one who feels like the command mic cable is just a little short, and a little stiff. But it works.

I really want a loud hailer for safety. Not really. I want to have some fun with it
It's kind of nuts that they give you like 50' of cable to run and then like 3" of coiled 1/2" wire.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 20:42   #28

Quote:

Well, that why I would have the Vesper. The AIS function of the SH would be part-backup and part feed to the plotter if I wanted an overlay. The Vesper in standalone mode has the filtering I want for an overview. The SH would plop the closer CPA candidates onto my plotter program for my attention when close to land features.

That's my current thinking, anyway. It's 18 months before we would like to push off, so who knows what choices may exist then?
Old 31-10-2013, 07:11   #29

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
No, the AIS display remains when in PA or Fog mode. The channel number in the corner of the AIS display changes from a number to "PA".

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reviews