Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2008, 08:02   #16

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
. It would seem that a similar coverage could be added to yacht insurance policies for a nominal premium and that yacht registrations--whether State of Federal--could include a "Dumb A_s Clause" in large bold type face that would have to be signed with each renewal of registration, that acknowledges that if one requires rescue as a consequence of one's own negligence, actual or constructive as determined by a court of inquiry, one shall be obligated to bear the full costs of such rescue.

FWIW...

s/v HyLyte
I would agree on many points but one thing I know is the first job of an insurance company is to pay nothing. The next job is to pay as little as possible. With insurance companies as opposed to the law one can be guilty and must prove one's innocence. This burden is a heavy one for an individual.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2008, 09:44   #17

Boat: 1988 Brewer Three Seas 40' Pilothouse
My son and daughter in law have been keeping us posted while they travel down the ICW with a "Spot" and it's been great seeing where they are each day. They usually send one when they get the hook down, sometimes during the day as well. I hope it covers all of the Carib. so we will be able to keep track of them for the next six months.
Inexpensive way to keep the family informed, we will be getting one next summer while cruising.
jrd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:08   #18

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot
I've just used one on a delivery from Savannah to Tortola. The owner got 7 days' midday position reports (from which he could also obviously calculate our 24 hour run) and he was very happy with it. He had programmed in a short message which went to 10 email addresses and the other recipients were also very happy.

So - as far as I can see - It Works: but, as others have mentioned, I also have reservations about it being a "safety device", at least, at sea. Tony
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:22   #19
Back to the game

Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
Thanks Tony
Old 20-01-2009, 10:26   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ess105 View Post
Has anyone any experience with this device? Any opinions?
Personally, no, but I do have opinions on it.

If all you want to do is track your journeys, a GPS will give you far more detailed tracking. Mind you, that is after the fact, but if nobody will be tracking you at another location as in your PC at home, then it is of little use.

There is no way I would trust the SPOT for emergency services (the 911 feature). PLBs and EPIRBs run on government run systems, not a private company (Globalstar) looking to make a buck.

I've done a lot of looking into the details of the COSPAS-SARSAT system (great web site and you will easily need hours to go through the info). I've even spent over an hour on the phone talking to the guys at the Mission Control Center. The SPOT was very vague when it came to details; its a toy in my opinion.

Tags
safety