Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2020, 05:46   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Single Side Band Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
And where do you get that basic knowledge? By asking questions is the normal way.
I have no problem with the OP's question .... it simply remains to discover what he really wants to do and then guide him down the correct path.

Not just tell him to foxtrot oscar and read a book - which may or may not address his needs - and while he is at it learn CW... and then come back

The skill levels he requires - based on his original question - involves arithmetic rather than calculus....

I completely agree. Good work scaring off the OP, guys.

It's a normal question and deserves a respectful answer.

I think Ping has given the basic answer to the specific question asked -- depending on whether you want to be able to transmit and communicate, or just listen and receive wefax etc., the lower bar for budgets would be something like $1000 and $150 respectively.

And as Ping said, although there are a few things to learn, it's not actually rocket science. There are plenty of real experts on here, many of whom are far more helpful than some of those who have responded so far.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 06:06   #17

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post

If you want to go down the marine road you could consider a second hand Icom M710 . With tuner you should be able to pick one up for under $1000.

One way or another you are probably looking at a $1000 spend.

So what exactly do you want to do?
Agree and I’ll add to the above as per the OP needs to download weather info: a Pactor modem (at least III), the antennae and ground which will add probably another grand to the costs.

I agree with El Pinguino, we should answer the questions and lead them to the literature, it will be up to them to determine the amount of home work they need to do. Assuming they are smart, they will understand you can’t go out there and spend all that money on stuff you don’t know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Hello L-33,
The second and fourth sticky in the sub-forum for comms are about 'SSB'
Marine Electronics - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Alll the best,
That is a good place to start.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 08:01   #18

Boat: Riva 48

Wow, lots of attitude on the forum today. To the OP:

SSB communications are not easy these days due to the solar minimum. You need to get a second hand radio, tuner, do a proper installation (cutting your backstay and installing a ground) plus have a laptop with some software to be able to do email. You also need to pass the ham exam. It is all doable but there is a steep learning curve and frustration along the way. If you just want to receive weather information, you need to get a SW receiver (Tecsun 660 or above for about $150 and an app for your phone that decides the fax). You will also be able to listen to some weather voice info. I suggest you start with the receiving setup first.

You should also consider InReach or Iridium Go as an alternative. Much lower installation cost, inexpensive plans ($70 for unlimited text messages per month), no long term commitment. It is not as cool as SSB but more practical.

If you do want to go the full SSB route, then start looking for used SSB radios on eBay and Craigslist, start looking for two backstay insulators and learning about grounding.

SV Pizzazz
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 08:07   #19

Boat: Lancer 27PS

Many people buy boats before leaning how to use them. Many people buy 'things' before knowing exactly what they do or how to use them. So what is the difference here? The OP wants to buy a radio to receive WEFAX, and to be able to talk to other boaters.

First, the easiest way was already mentioned... RTLSDR dongle and simple multimode software. Done. Just need a way to get the signals from the sky to the PC. Simple wire antenna run up a spreader. Done. So what will be gained? The OP will learn about frequency usage, how and why the OP can hear some frequencies during the day but not at night and vice versa.

If the OP wants to use a 'real' radio then an older ICOM or Kenwood, or Yaesu will do. Even a Alinco SSB will work. But as mentioned, any SSB radio used will require a license. The Marine Operator license is the easiest because there is no test. Imagine that, one can get a SSB license without having to take any kind of test to prove they know what they are doing.

To the OP, get whatever you want. As I mentioned a RTLSDR dongle is the cheapest for receiving WEFAX, and a used HAM rig for the other function, plus receiving WEFAX. However, I will say that you must get a General Class or higher license if you want to transmit on the SSB Ham bands. If you are not a US Citizen then get the class of license from your country that gives you the appropriate privilege for voice communications.

Also, OP, ASK away. There are many on here who will answer your questions.

added - It is of my opinion that you do not need to cut your backstay to add an antenna. An alternate backstay antenna can be used. But now we are discussing adding more equipment. If and when you are ready to go that route, again, ask. Or just look on this forum as there is currently a discussion going on about backstay antenna lengths.
Brian.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 08:36   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
...SSB communications are not easy these days due to the solar minimum.
SV Pizzazz
Not sure I understand, do you mean battery capacity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post

You should also consider InReach or Iridium Go as an alternative. Much lower installation cost, inexpensive plans ($70 for unlimited text messages per month), no long term commitment. It is not as cool as SSB but more practical.
...SV Pizzazz
I understand that Satellite is the way to go nowadays, but I wonder if anyone has done a cost comparison between SSB and Iridium.

I don’t consider this a thread hijack; it could useful to the OP....

I.e. I purchased my ICOM 700pro and tuner for $700. I’ll spend another grand on the antenna, ground & modem. After that, my costs will be $250/year for Sailmail, right?

Iridium has many cost plans, and I am not sure about their pros and cons, but regardless, has anyone done a comparison based on costs alone?
Purchase price + setup costs + monthly costs for 2 years.
Just curious.
Old 21-01-2020, 10:23   #21

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Not sure I understand, do you mean battery capacity?
Solar minimum=Sunspot activity, which is at the 'low point' in the cycle.
Not as good for bouncing off the ionosphere and what not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skywave

HF Propagation and Solar-Terrestrial Data Website

Old 21-01-2020, 10:44   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Solar minimum=Sunspot activity, which is at the 'low point' in the cycle.
Not as good for bouncing off the ionosphere and what not....
Actually that was not meant to be funny!!

Great, thanks Spot. Now instead of buying more batteries as I thought I'll have to chuck my SSB. I give up.
Old 21-01-2020, 10:45   #23

Boat: Riva 48

Quote:
I understand that Satellite is the way to go nowadays, but I wonder if anyone has done a cost comparison between SSB and Iridium.
It is a different level of service Iridium vs. SSB. If your primary method of communication is infrequent emails, then both Iridium and SSB will do very well, costs will be the same over 2-3 years but then SSB will start getting cheaper as its running costs are very low.

If your primary method of communication is short messages (think SMS and all the chat applications), Iridium will let you sit in the cockpit on a long night watch and chat on your phone non-stop with your friends and family. This is very hard to do on SSB.

If you feel some security in being able to call GMDSS services, then SSB has a niche that is important. However, all the rescues I have witnessed have started with a quick message to base: "I am sinking, these are my coordinates, organize a rescue." and the people on land take care of the rest while the crew is managing the boat. This only works if you have reliable friends ashore who are tracking your progress.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 11:22   #24

Boat: NAB 38, 11.45 m

To the OP, my honest advice: you are going to Need some certificates anyway, so i recommend take the courses for Long Range Communications. This is rather easy going and On the way you pick up enough Knowledge to determine which way your needs and your interests will lead you.
For start, VHF and cheap Long Range receive-only equipment will do
Screwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 11:23   #25

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.

Quote:
Actually that was not meant to be funny!!

Great, thanks Spot. Now instead of buying more batteries as I thought I'll have to chuck my SSB. I give up.
Sorry eh, didn't mean to make you want to chuck your rig...
Old 21-01-2020, 12:38   #26

Boat: St. Francis 44 mkII

if you wish to receive weather fax, and listen to (say) Chris Parker's weather, then a $150 tecsun PL880 will do that.. add an external antenna say up the flag halyard and you would be good to go.

Now.. talking to other cruisers?.. on HF?.. now you need a transceiver and its likely a $5000 cost.. an electronics suite is $2500 then installation of ground and antenna.

personally, i would say get an EPIRB (just in case) and a hand held SSB radio to get the info you need and save the chit chat for VHF or the bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan33 View Post
In the spring I'm sailing from the Northeast to Puerto Rico via Bermuda and the Bahamas. My question is concerning an on-board SSB radio. There are many in the $1,000+ range and then there are 'crystal-less' radios in the $150 range. I'm interested in weatherfax downloads and communicating with boats in the area in which I'm entering.
What's your recommendation?
Mystic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 13:15   #27

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Not to go offtrack, but since the OP was inexperienced in radio comms, he might consider a satphone with data plan, and a program to call up the NWS forecasts and maps via internet. Just saying this because for two way comms, or even receiving clear WEFAX, the experience needed, and the techniques for being sucessful with SSB are far more complicated (installation, propagation knowledge, etc , for example).
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 13:25   #28

It is not really offtrack:
I would suggest something like this:
https://explore.garmin.com/en-US/inreach/
Coquina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 13:39   #29

Boat: Hunter Cherubini 33

Thanks. I have InReach and think it’ll do for outbound communication.
Weather fax is what I don’t have.
Leviathan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 13:51   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan33 View Post
Thanks. I have InReach and think it’ll do for outbound communication.
Weather fax is what I don’t have.
WXFAX requires a decent receiver, a computer, and a cable to connect the two. The software is cheap or free.
A portable will do, but not a cheap one. It needs to be good with SSB, something at this level:
https://www.amazon.com/Tecsun-PL880-...4-3e7a9c0027d0

EDIT - you can buy that radio today and listen on 7.268 MHz LSB and 14.300 USB to the maritime nets and decide if that interests you enough to spend the time and cash for a transceiver.
Coquina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
single